hi,

ok my symmetry is really weird sometimes when i try to build stuff. I know how to change symmetry mode with R and all that but its still really wonky. Example: I tried using breaking grounds mechanical parts and wanted to make a VTOL with flip up wings but no matter what symmetry mode i used the motors would always rotate in opposite directions on either side. the same with structual parts. wings work with no problem but when i use a structual part wich is  shaped like a triangle (so kinda shaped like a wing) it points two different ways??? Ive played ksp for quite some time now but have never had problems like this. And now all i can do is just dont use symmetry when that happens and just place things really carefully. And one time i watched a matt lowe video where he placed the breaking grounds mechanical parts normally and they worked just fine???

Help

thank you

There are confusing symmetry settings. Mirror and radial, but also oriented around part or craft. And if you place a part in one of these and then try to attach something to that in a different mode, it switches itself back to the mode of the parent part. Could you maybe post a pic of the problem you're describing? 

11 hours ago, PresidentGod123 said:

the motors would always rotate in opposite directions on either side. the same with structural parts. wings work with no problem but when i use a structural part which is  shaped like a triangle (so kinda shaped like a wing) it points two different ways??? I've played ksp for quite some time now but have never had problems like this.

It is not just 'your' symmetry; I see the same behavior. [Edit: and same here : https://youtu.be/sbqR_LtCwUQ?t=95 ] Motorized parts have a right-click option "Invert Direction (non-symmetry, this side only)"  that you see if you enable 'Advanced Tweakables' in settings.  Then you can keep the symmetry link and control both motors with one slider.  (Maybe the default directions could be set up in a better way.)

The triangles sound like those from the Making History mod, which have a bug just like you describe (link).  Here, the only solution us to place them individually as you say.

Edited by OHara
motor symmetry is a bit awkward for everyone

I think this is a bug with the new parts. I've had some really random symmetry issues as well, where BG parts are in mirror on one part of the craft and radial on another, and I cannot change the setting.  Thanks for reminding me to file a bug report.

On this crazy walker of mine, the front 4 sets of legs are in mirror symmetry,  but the rear legs are in radial. The segments were copied using the ALT key and then just attaching them in sequence. Somehow they readjusted themselves. 

qtPBkfe.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.