[1.7.1+] Breaking Ground Lander Locker

Tonka Crash

I finally got around to using the deployed science experiments and was frustrated with the choice of cargo containers. Squad missed an obvious size to me. The side bays of the updated Mk2 Lander Can are screaming for a cargo box. It seem like the natural place to stash the experiments, but the stock cargo box doesn't fit as nicely as I'd like, so I ended up sizing one to look built in.

This is just a Module Manager patch to rescale the small cargo box and modify it's attributes for the larger size. At the same time I added attachment nodes to the sides of the Mk2 Lander Can itself to make fitting the part simpler. It should snap in place as shown in the picture

Based on the new volume compared to the stock part it should hold about 11 parts, but I've left it at 9 as I think the stock cargo box in undersized for 3 experiments. The storage locker is a little larger than the side bay and does clip into the Lander Can. This is intentional to eliminate any gaps around the part and give it a built in look.

ttIcGTO.png

Dropbox download link Download and save the config file somewhere under GameData. The only requirements are Breaking Ground DLC and Module Manager. The entirety of the patch is in the spoiler if for some reason the dropbox link goes away at some point.

Spoiler

// Add attachment nodes to Lander Can for side lockers
@PART[mk2LanderCabin_v2]
{
	node_stack_right = 0.625, .17418, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0
	node_stack_left = -0.625, .17418, 0, -1, 0, 0, 0
}
+PART[smallCargoContainer]
{
	@name = Mk2CargoLocker
	@MODEL
	{
		@model = SquadExpansion/Serenity/Parts/Cargo/smallCargoContainer/smallCargoContainer
		scale = 2.4, 1.6, 1.0
	}

@node_attach = 0,0,0.26,0,0,-1,0
	@node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.56, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
	@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.56, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
	node_stack_back = 0.0,0.0,0.23,0.0,0.0,1.0, 0 // Matches up with nodes on Lander Can
	@entryCost *= 2.5
	@cost *= 2.5
	@title = SEQ-MK2 Lander Storage Locker
	@description = #$description$ Now in a handy size for the Mk2 Lander Can side bays.
	@mass *= 2.5
	@bulkheadProfiles = srf
	@MODULE[ModuleInventoryPart]
	{
		@InventorySlots = 9
	}		

}

Consider this Public Domain. There is no code beyond the MM patch. I'm not posting it to CKAN, so don't ask. This should work until Squad renames or deletes the parts, so if you pester me about it working in later versions, I'll probably ignore you. I have little interest in user support. I'm posting this in case others find it useful.

Edited by Tonka Crash

so - finished the start of my idea. Thank you.

KIS_Containers.cfg

two issues - seems the GUI maxes out at 30, and how many should each type have? included the thought process pseudo-math as comments. The larger ones might see if can split the volume into Serenity Storage and KIS storage. thoughts?

All these 'new' containers :NEED[KIS] and will show up in the new Cargo category in the editor.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

25 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

so - finished the start of my idea. Thank you.

KIS_Containers.cfg

two issues - seems the GUI maxes out at 30, and how many should each type have? included the thought process pseudo-math as comments.

That isn't a shared link, so I have no idea what you've tried to do or what GUI maxes out at 30. It's wanting to open a KIS_Containers.cfg in my dropbox account and not yours.

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

That isn't a shared link, so I have no idea what you've tried to do or what GUI maxes out at 30. It's wanting to open a KIS_Containers.cfg in my dropbox account and not yours.

Spoiler

// KIS_FLIRM_containers v 1.0
// additional Cargo parts by converting KIS containers
// 01 Jul 19

+PART[KIS_Container1]:NEEDS[KIS,SquadExpansion/Serenity]:FOR[Squad]
{
	@name = SEQ-MK003
	@category = Cargo
	@title = SEQ-MK003 is a converted SC-62 Portable Container
	@description = #$description$ is a converted to use Serene Storage Technologies Flatpack Logistic Innovative Rack - Modular (FLIRM). Straps included for use as a backpack. Used for Storage for Storing Stuff as Cargo  

!MODULE[ModuleKISInventory] {}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleInventoryPart
		InventorySlots = 9
	}
}

+PART[KIS_Container2]:NEEDS[KIS,SquadExpansion/Serenity]:FOR[Squad]
{
	@name = SEQ-MK004
	@category = Cargo
	@title = SEQ-MK004 ILC-18k Container
	@description = #$description$ is a converted to use Serene Storage Technologies Flatpack Logistic Innovative Rack - Modular (FLIRM). Straps included for use as a backpack. Used for Storage for Storing Stuff as Cargo 

MODULE
	{
	// 280 = 9 (so ~31 L per slot)
	// 8800 / 31 = 283.8
		InventorySlots = 88
	}
}

+PART[KIS_Container3]:NEEDS[KIS,SquadExpansion/Serenity]:FOR[Squad]
{
	@name = SEQ-MK005
	@category = Cargo
	@title = SEQ-MK005 ISC-6K Container

MODULE
	{
	// 3900 / 31 = 125.8
		InventorySlots = 42
	}
}

+PART[KIS?Container4]:NEEDS[KIS,SquadExpansion/Serenity]:FOR[Squad]
{
	@name = SEQ-MK006
	@category = Cargo
	@title = SEQ-MK006 is a converted ImC-1500 Container
	@description = #$description$ is a converted to use Serene Storage Technologies Flatpack Logistic Innovative Rack - Modular (FLIRM). Straps NOT included for use as a backpack. Used for Storage for Storing Stuff as Cargo 

MODULE
	{
	// 1600 / 31 = 51.6
		InventorySlots = 18
	}
}

+PART[KIS?Container5]:NEEDS[KIS,SquadExpansion/Serenity]:FOR[Squad]
{
	@name = SEQ-MK007
	@category = Cargo
	@title = SEQ-MK007 is a converted IMiC-800 Container
	@description = #$description$ is a converted to use Serene Storage Technologies Flatpack Logistic Innovative Rack - Modular (FLIRM). For when you really need to stick scientific equipment literally everywhere on a body in space. Used for Storage for Storing Stuff as Cargo 

MODULE
	{
	// 26000 / 31 = 838.7
		InventorySlots = 260
	}
}

+PART[KIS?Container6]:NEEDS[KIS,SquadExpansion/Serenity]:FOR[Squad]
{
	@name = SEQ-MK008
	@category = Cargo
	@title = SEQ-MK008 is a converted ImC-1500 Container
	@description = #$description$ is a converted to use Serene Storage Technologies Flatpack Logistic Innovative Rack - Modular (FLIRM). Straps NOT included for use as a backpack. Used for Storage for Storing Stuff as Cargo 

MODULE
	{
	// 800 / 31 = 25.8
		InventorySlots = 9
	}
}

+PART[KIS?Container7]:NEEDS[KIS,SquadExpansion/Serenity]:FOR[Squad]
{
	@name = SEQ-MK009
	@category = Cargo
	@title = SEQ-MK009 is a converted IMC-15K Container
	@description = #$description$ is a converted to use Serene Storage Technologies Flatpack Logistic Innovative Rack - Modular (FLIRM). For when you really need to stick scientific equipment literally everywhere on a smallerish body in space. Used for Storage for Storing Stuff as Cargo 

MODULE
	{
	// 15000 / 31 = 483.8
		InventorySlots = 192
	}
}

+PART[KIS?Container8]:NEEDS[KIS,SquadExpansion/Serenity]:FOR[Squad]
{
	@name = SEQ-MK009
	@category = Cargo
	@title = SEQ-MK009 is a converted ImC-1500 Container

MODULE
	{
	// 3100 / 31 = 100
		InventorySlots = 31
	}
}

// thank you for forum user @TonkaCrash for the original patch
// License: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0
// zer0Kerbal

new to dropbox. this should fix it. also corrected post above. actual patch above.

@zer0Kerbal I think your conversion is off. In KIS 1.21 I measured the volumes of each deployable science experiment with the smallest at 95L and the largest being over 300L for the experiments that are all spread out like the solar panel. A realistic size would probably be around 100L-125L per cargo slot. The SC-62 is only 280L, so only 2 would fit in the SC-62. This looks about right if you place the SC-62 side by side with some of the boxier shaped experiments. Fitting 9 in there is wildly optimistic. Even fitting 9 in the lander storage locker I defined here seems optimistic, but it's scaled on the size difference from the stock small cargo box.

The small cargo box that held three would also fit in the SC-62. This is one of my gripes with the stock system, It's physically unrealistic. The containers are too small for their contents. The tiny backpack the Kerbals use to represent their cargo slot is ridiculously tiny for the volume it supposedly holds.

If the stock system can't handle more than 30 slots I wouldn't worry about conversions for KIS containers that would realistically hold more than this. Personally I don't see a need for huge containers for the stock system since I think you can only set up one set per planetary body, you just don't need to haul lots of extras around.

16 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

I think your conversion is off.

@Tonka Crash yep. hence the ask for your opinion on each. :)

:lol:

17 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

If the stock system can't handle more than 30 slots I wouldn't worry about conversions for KIS containers that would realistically hold more than this. Personally I don't see a need for huge containers for the stock system since I think you can only set up one set per planetary body, you just don't need to haul lots of extras around.

seems that way - been afk and just back. will have to look further into it. the larger ones then will try to split into KIS/SereneStorage combo.

I thought you could put out several, just not one per biome. exact number yet to be determined. If what you are saying is right, changes thoughts. Still I like the really big ones, as you said more realistic.

Edited by zer0Kerbal

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.