Kierra

[1.4.1 -> 1.7.3] KSRSS(VE) - Kerbin Size Real Solar System 0.4.1 "Complete Overhaul"

Recommended Posts

0XwxZ1v.png

Vectors from Freepik and AstroRainbow

As RSS, KSRSS is a mod intended to transform the stock solar system into the real solar system, but at stock size, with the objective to let you explore the solar system within many mods necessary in a RSS save. Also, we worked hard to make every body of the system pretty and unique. KSRSS is accompanied by KSRSSVE, a graphic mod which put the best of scatterer and EVE into KSRSS. For example, with KSRSSVE and KSRSS, you can find dust storms on Mars, geysers on Enceladus, snow at pole of the Earth and many other things. Finally, unlike SSRSS, KSRSS is not a simple rescaling of RSS, we decided to not use Sigma Dimension, so KSRSS is made and tweak especialy for the stock size.

After this little introduction, we want to thank all the modders community and specialy the RSS-Team without whom we would not have been able to realize this mod. Factually, KSRSS is just a mix of textures made by the community (see License section for all credits) that we mixed together to create, we hope, a pretty version of the real solar system in KSP.

Pics

QC9PqQ7.pngPwtETLY.pngyLeOgVW.pngj6LjpL4.png1F71Pj4.png

Spoiler

TRAILER MADE FOR AN OLD VERSION OF KSRSS

 

Download and instructions

KSRSS KSRSSVE KK-KSRSS
  1. Install Kopernicus.
    If you are using an old version of KSP, go here and take the appropriate version i. e. Kopernicus 1.6.1-X for KSP 1.6.1 and Kopernicus 1.5.1-X for KSP 1.5.1.
  2. Install KSRSS-Textures.
  3. Install KSRSS.
  4. If you want footprints, install KEX-EVAFootprints. (optional)
  5. If you want more launchpads in Florida, you can download the KK-KSRSS pack. (optional- see column 3)
  6. If you want clouds and scatterer compatibility, install KSRSSVE. (optional - see column 2)                                             
  1. Install EVE.
  2. Install scatterer.
  3. Install KSRSSVE (download below). Choose the Low Resolution pack OR the High Resolution.                                                                                                                             
  1. Install Kerbal Konstructs.
  2. Install Tundra's Space Center.
  3. Install OSSNTR.
  4. Install KK-KSRSS (download below).                                                                                                                                                                                   
 https://github.com/KerbalFrench/KSRSS/releases  https://github.com/KerbalFrench/KSRSSVE/releases https://github.com/KerbalFrench/KK-KSRSS/releases

Licenses and credits

 

KSRSS KSRSSVE KK-KSRSS

KSRSS is licensed CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 International unless otherwise stated. All plugin code is licensed LGPL-3.0.
KSRSS is derived from RSS. A huge thanks to NathanKell and the RO team for creating this mod. (CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0)
Some textures were taken from Spectra. Those are licensed MIT and all credits go to Avera9eJoe.

Some planetary imagery is derived from work by Steve Albers and NASA / Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and some from the Celestia Motherlode (itself in the main sourced from JPL). Used by permission of the licenses for non-commercial release.      

KSPRC is bundled in the download and is covered by his own license. (CC-BY-ND)

 

KSRSSVE is licensed CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0 International unless otherwise stated.
All plugin code licensed LGPL-3.0.
The Earth aurora texture was taken from Spectra by Avera9eJoe. (MIT)
Planets clouds textures are from RSSVE. (CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0)
The snow particle comes from Sci-Fi Ve by panzer1b. (Non-commercial use permitted with or without credit)
The snow map comes from GEA by Davian Lin. (CC-BY-NC-SA-4.0)
Citylights textures are from AVP by Astronomer and themaster401.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

            KK-KSRSS is licensed MIT.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

If you are an author of one of the textures, maps, cfg or anything else used in KSRSS and if you want that we remove your work from our mod, just contact us and we will do it.

 

A mod by tony48 and Kierra.

 

Edited by Kierra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kierra said:

we decided to not use Sigma Dimension

I would like to know if there is a particular reason for this decision

 

not that I am complaing or anything, but if there is a particular issue that turned you off the mod I would like to know it so that I might see if it is fixable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, slaintemaith said:

Kerbal must have updated yet again, as Kopernicus does not work with the latest version of KSP.

 

Oh, are you implying that you play and mod the steam install directly? We always advise people against this. Just copy your KSP to another directory, and then mod and play this. So steam updates will not affect your installs, you can play all the previous versions at any time, and only have to access steam to get new versions and patches.

 

On 7/2/2019 at 9:21 AM, Kierra said:

snip

 

Nice stuff, @tony48 and @Kierra, I'll definitely give it a try! I am still a big fan of SSRSS and still play a 1.3.1 install with it. I take it your mod is a lot like SSRSS was back then. Cheers for keeping this awesome idea alive!

On 7/2/2019 at 9:21 AM, Kierra said:

...Finally, unlike SSRSS, KSRSS is not a simple rescaling of RSS...

 

I would also like to point out that SSRSS was more than just a rescale of RSS. As far as I understood it quite a bit of work went into better textures etc. But my understanding of such processes is pretty limited at best, just repeating from memory what I overheard around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Oh, are you implying that you play and mod the steam install directly? We always advise people against this. Just copy your KSP to another directory, and then mod and play this. So steam updates will not affect your installs, you can play all the previous versions at any time, and only have to access steam to get new versions and patches.

 

Imply?  No.  I've had at least five separate concurrent KSP installs of varying versions for reasons.
I'm implying that over the course of I-forget-how-many-years-I've-been-playing-this-game-now that researching the versions of things that work with all the other things they depend upon, and then matching them to the proper KSP version is becoming a chore.

It's not a specific gripe with regards to this mod or its dependencies, just a gripe in general.  =)

 

Edited by slaintemaith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

Imply?  No.  I've had at least five separate concurrent KSP installs of varying versions for reasons.
I'm implying that over the course of I-forget-how-many-years-I've-been-playing-this-game-now that researching the versions of things that work with all the other things they depend upon, and then matching them to the proper KSP version is becoming a chore.

It's not a specific gripe with regards to this mod or its dependencies, just a gripe in general.  =)

 

I see. Cheers. I agree with you. Same story here. On top of the many installs it's easy to amass folders of mods and configs etc.  It's a pain at times, but we still have to be greatful for the continuous support and development of the game.

BTW, I might have slightly misused the word "imply" there... I apologize if it sounded wrong, no offense was intended. I am obviously not a native speaker, please bear with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No worries at all!  I wasn't offended in the slightest.   
am a native speaker, but American; we butcher an otherwise expressive and subtle language.  It's gotten worse recently.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I would like to know if there is a particular reason for this decision

 

not that I am complaing or anything, but if there is a particular issue that turned you off the mod I would like to know it so that I might see if it is fixable

We chose to not use Sigma Dimensions because rescaling from 10.625 to 1 produces ugly results and we thought it would be better to just redo the bodies than rescaling with Sigma Dimensions and adjusting the body with Kopernicus after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, slaintemaith said:

My question now is: is there  a way to bump this up to 2.5x or so?

Yes, by installing Sigma Dimensions and RESCALE :

(just ignore the "Will not work with KSP 1.4", it works perfectly)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to work a treat, although there are three module manager errors.  (My idiocy prevents me from explaining this further)
Thank you very much!

 

Edited by slaintemaith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi !

I played a few hours at this mod and it's so cool, good job !

If it can help I found one bug in my game : In galaxy map, when I zoom on Ryugu at maximum, he become completely dark.

Other things, but i guess it's not bug, I installed Kronometer for have 24 hours days, but it seem don't work.

And in SSRSS, on Venus there is an awesome Ash storm/Rain in athmosphere. Do you plane to integrate this feature to KSRSS in the future ?

Again, awesome mod, very good job ;)

Edited by Carni35
Orthographe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Carni35 said:

Other things, but i guess it's not bug, I installed Kronometer for have 24 hours days, but it seem don't work.

Maybe you can try to enable this in KSP settings (General -> Display Kerbin Time).

 

4 hours ago, Carni35 said:

If it can help I found one bug in my game : In galaxy map, when I zoom on Ryugu at maximum, he become completely dark.

We are aware of this bug but it is not our priority at the moment (it doesn't affect gameplay). We will probably fix it for the 0.5.

4 hours ago, Carni35 said:

And in SSRSS, on Venus there is an awesome Ash storm/Rain in athmosphere. Do you plane to integrate this feature to KSRSS in the future ?

Sounds interesting. We'll see ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your answer ;)

I have a little technical question : the scatterer setting about athmosphere opacity is set by KSRSS or by the Scatterer mod itself ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Carni35 said:

Thanks for your answer ;)

I have a little technical question : the scatterer setting about athmosphere opacity is set by KSRSS or by the Scatterer mod itself ?

I think the opacity is set by KSRSSVE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Carni35 said:

Thanks for your answer ;)

I have a little technical question : the scatterer setting about athmosphere opacity is set by KSRSS or by the Scatterer mod itself ?

Scatterer itself wont show anything. All you see is in the config file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks great! I'll have to take a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote
1 hour ago, Dafni said:

Scatterer itself wont show anything. All you see is in the config file.

Ok ! And do you know which config file parameter I have to change to modify scatterer opacity ? Not the scale nor the altitude :)

 

Edited by Carni35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Carni35 said:

Ok ! And do you know which config file parameter I have to change for modifiy scatterer opacity ? Not the scale or the altitude :)

What do you mean by scatterer opacity? And why would you want to change that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tony48 said:

What do you mean by scatterer opacity? And why would you want to change that?

I just find it too opaque. I barely see continents on earth. It particulary bothers me for planets like Mars which in real life have almost no athmosphere anymore. In game it's very strong and the planet is too pale

Edited by Carni35

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Carni35 said:

It particulary bothers me for planets like Mars which have practically not athmosphere anymore.

Ah yes, the Mars atmosphere visuals in KSRSS aren't very realistic, we decided to go for a Duna-like atmosphere instead of an almost non-existent one. If you don't want any scattering on Mars, just delete atmo.cfg in KSRSSVE/scatterer/Planets/Mars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, tony48 said:
39 minutes ago, Carni35 said:

It particulary bothers me for planets like Mars which have practically not athmosphere anymore.

Ah yes, the Mars atmosphere visuals in KSRSS aren't very realistic, we decided to go for a Duna-like atmosphere instead of an almost non-existent one. If you don't want any scattering on Mars, just delete atmo.cfg in KSRSSVE/scatterer/Planets/Mars. 

Thanks for the advice ! I guess that's mean there is no way to just fade it a little bit ?

But as you said it's an artistical choice and the planet look very nice :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2019 at 9:19 PM, tony48 said:

We chose to not use Sigma Dimensions because rescaling from 10.625 to 1 produces ugly results and we thought it would be better to just redo the bodies than rescaling with Sigma Dimensions and adjusting the body with Kopernicus after.

well, this looks great so congrats on the work.

 

if you happen to have some screenshots of the ugly results could you send them to me, it might be a bug that I need to fix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.