[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

7 minutes ago, Emilius73 said:

It's a replica of the ACES suit, but I deleted it and can't find it anymore. Sorry :(

Also @benjee10 does the switch to DDS textures affect how the custom shuttle names need to be made?

The process is the same (PSDs are still included, you should export to PNG) but you’ll need to delete the original DDS file. Only difference with PNG files is that you will get slightly more aliasing on the decals in-game compared to DDS, but they’re relatively small so it shouldn’t be too obvious. 

@benjee10, Thank you for the clarification.  Now can you send some luck my way? I've even tried setting up some default arm positions in the VAB to stab the port about as perfectly as it can be stabbed and still no luck.  I'm sure I'll have an "AHA!" moment here soon enough.

Any chance you might be on good terms with sarbian?  He's got a plug in from days of old that would auto trim gimbals.  I remember back when the KSO shuttle was a thing and it had really nice orbital maneuvering characteristics.  I believe it was from a plugin by dtobi who handed it off to him.

And just out of curiosity... control from the docking port is not possible.  This makes the docking port alignment indicator not workable.  I have gotten very good at manual docking by eyball (I owe you great thanks for that).  Any chance that could be worked in so that we can use the port as a control point or just not going to happen?

Most of all...

I know all of this is modding stuff is sooo easy for those of us who just sit and "consume".  Many thanks to you and all the modders who have the skill and will to make KSP such a great experience.

>Now that you've updated this mod are you gonna do the rest of them? I really wanna build the ISS!
Habtech2 appears to work just fine in  1.73 and 1.81. Have not tried later versions.

Edited by Kerbal01

10 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

>Now that you've updated this mod are you gonna do the rest of them? I really wanna build the ISS!
Habtech2 appears to work just fine in  1.73 and 1.81. Have not tried later versions.

HT2 works in 1.9 as well

I love MechJeb... but I swear the more I fly around without it, the better things come out for me, especially with shuttle like craft. Does anybody else find it better to fly without than with?

Old question that never gathered an answer... does anyone have a workable KOS script for the SOCK shuttle?

How difficult is it to create a basic RPM capable IVA for the SOCK.  I'm not talking a slick masterwork, just a basic configuration with the necessary screens and buttons.  Utilitarian at best.  Call it a starter project.

8 hours ago, Emilius73 said:

SOCK + JNSQ = Bliss

I've been working on a cinematic series and a Youtube channel with the Shuttle. Hope you enjoy.

Wow! Fantastic work there. Can’t wait to see more!

On 7/10/2020 at 12:27 AM, LawnDartLeo said:

I love MechJeb... but I swear the more I fly around without it, the better things come out for me, especially with shuttle like craft. Does anybody else find it better to fly without than with?

if the craft you are flying doesn't already have the roll axis disabled on the SSMEs at launch, do that. Just have an action group to toggle the roll, activate it after SRB sep. Also disable all of the aerosurfaces. Makes it so much easier to fly. 

Hi @kerbal01,

That's an old trick from shuttle past that I have applied to Benjee's masterpiece with success.  My issue with MechJeb and shuttles in particular (Not just SOCK but anything with eccentric thrust) is that they do not maintain course on the blue maneuver node.  Take a "soup can" to orbit that is entirely symmetrical and there are no issues. Take a shuttle and as you near the end of a burn the craft is pitching up (relative to the shuttles own frame of reference) HARD.  This behavior is only seen in shuttles/eccentric thrust craft in my experience.  It's all about the maneuver node.  Just do manual burns with the craft locked on prograde, retrograde or normal and there is no "chasing", it just holds solid as a rock.  So, it is all about the maneuver node.

I loaded in Throttle Controlled avionics and it was interesting to see how that author coded things.  It is very precise on maneuver nodes at the expense of the thrust being modulated ALOT.