[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

Just now, SpaceFace545 said:

I do believe that modular launch pads has those pyrotechnic starters

They are not starters, they just burn exess hydrogen that SSME's spew out during startup, to prevent Delta-4-style launchpad barbecue 

@DJ Reonic (and anyone else who may be interested!) So I think I actually have the entry guidance scripts in a somewhat usable state right now. The deorbit node creation function should be usable pretty in pretty much any situation you'd want to use it, targeting any ground coordinates at any inclination, as long as those ground coordinate will reasonable pass under the orbit ground track. Right now the burn anomaly and the target periapsis are hard-coded to what seemed to work well, but I'm looking into the math to figure out how to target a specific entry interface downrange distance and flightpath angle instead, which should help generalize it to planet size and initial orbit somewhat. If anyone has any knowledge about that, suggestions are welcome! :D

Entry guidance is definitely dicier and much more WIP, but I've tested a few configurations and it seems to preform reasonably well. The current entry guidance function is designed to work with FAR and JNSQ Kerbin, though there is some commented out code in there from testing with stock aerodynamics on JNSQ Kerbin that should still work. Essentially it uses a target altitude vs downrange distance curve that I worked out by flying some nominal flights and then spline fitting in Matlab. I'd like to eventually switch to using something like a target total energy state or a target drag value, but this was the easiest to get working first and seemed to give decently consistent results.

It's nowhere near as smooth as I'd like it to be, but I feel like it's in a state now that can be shared with other people. With that in mind, I've set up a GitHub repository:

https://github.com/Jakathan/shuttle-guidance

I have some grandiose plans of trying to build out a pretty solid general purpose guidance computer for the shuttle, but apparently I decided to start with one of the hardest parts... Oh well.

Please feel free to give it a try and see how well it works for you the README should give you a pretty good idea of what's in the code and how to use it. I'm new to git, so I think I set everything up right but I'm not entirely sure. Yell at me if it's not working for you and I'll see what I can do! :sticktongue:

Eventually I'm also gonna post this over on the kOS subreddit and let them tear it apart, but I still want to iron a few things out first.

On 3/30/2021 at 8:55 PM, Razgriz1 said:

@DJ Reonic (and anyone else who may be interested!) So I think I actually have the entry guidance scripts in a somewhat usable state right now. The deorbit node creation function should be usable pretty in pretty much any situation you'd want to use it, targeting any ground coordinates at any inclination, as long as those ground coordinate will reasonable pass under the orbit ground track. Right now the burn anomaly and the target periapsis are hard-coded to what seemed to work well, but I'm looking into the math to figure out how to target a specific entry interface downrange distance and flightpath angle instead, which should help generalize it to planet size and initial orbit somewhat. If anyone has any knowledge about that, suggestions are welcome! :D

Entry guidance is definitely dicier and much more WIP, but I've tested a few configurations and it seems to preform reasonably well. The current entry guidance function is designed to work with FAR and JNSQ Kerbin, though there is some commented out code in there from testing with stock aerodynamics on JNSQ Kerbin that should still work. Essentially it uses a target altitude vs downrange distance curve that I worked out by flying some nominal flights and then spline fitting in Matlab. I'd like to eventually switch to using something like a target total energy state or a target drag value, but this was the easiest to get working first and seemed to give decently consistent results.

It's nowhere near as smooth as I'd like it to be, but I feel like it's in a state now that can be shared with other people. With that in mind, I've set up a GitHub repository:

https://github.com/Jakathan/shuttle-guidance

I have some grandiose plans of trying to build out a pretty solid general purpose guidance computer for the shuttle, but apparently I decided to start with one of the hardest parts... Oh well.

Please feel free to give it a try and see how well it works for you the README should give you a pretty good idea of what's in the code and how to use it. I'm new to git, so I think I set everything up right but I'm not entirely sure. Yell at me if it's not working for you and I'll see what I can do! :sticktongue:

Eventually I'm also gonna post this over on the kOS subreddit and let them tear it apart, but I still want to iron a few things out first.

I will test this over the weekend. Sounds like it'll work quite well. Been too busy at work to respond. Is there a specific weight configuration the shuttle needs to be in for this to work?

4 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

I will test this over the weekend. Sounds like it'll work quite well. Been too busy at work to respond. Is there a specific weight configuration the shuttle needs to be in for this to work?

So the "nominal" entry I based the guidance on was a 5 ton downmass from a 350km orbit, but I tested several different altitude and downmass combinations. Really the whole point of this is to make it so it doesn't really matter what the downmass is. In theory, a higher downmass/higher energy reentry should cause it to have a higher roll angle. It's more sensitive to the downrange position of the entry interface point than anything else, which is kind of the next thing I'm looking at solving.

My script does use the stock fuel valves to drain the remaining OMS fuel prior to reentry, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference, and I have not noticed too much difference in controllability keeping the fuel in the shuttle. I did that primarily for realism purposes.

Hey @benjee10, I’m sure you’ve been asked this before, but I haven’t seen it on this thread if so and I’d be remiss if I didn’t at least ask. Is there any chance of you making any of the shuttle related stuff from the awesome Boldly Going alternate timeline that just wrapped up today, like the LRBs, Shuttle-C, and Shuttle-II? (Once they release the renders)

Link if anyone is interested

Edited by MajorLeaugeRocketScience

Benjee,

There's a few config fixes/tweaks I would like to suggest. These have bothered me enough that I fix them on my own installs.

1. The shuttle cargo bay needs a radiator. I usually make it equivalent to the stock medium radiator. I don't know if there's a way to make it more advanced and match the state of the doors, though.

2. The ET decoupler has fuel crossfeed disabled by default. I think there's a way to set this for the part in its cfg. I've launched many times without SSME startup due to this.

3. The tags for the search function don't seem to be set correctly. Searching for "shuttle" or "STS" doesn't get me all the parts, so I have to look for them separately (offhand, mostly it's the landing gear and engines that hide).

4. I would prefer that if Restock is installed, the SSME MM patch uses its model instead rather than the stock model. This one I haven't been able to fix myself.

Just my suggestions, but these seem easy to implement and significant QOL improvements.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:04 PM, Razgriz1 said:

So the "nominal" entry I based the guidance on was a 5 ton downmass from a 350km orbit, but I tested several different altitude and downmass combinations. Really the whole point of this is to make it so it doesn't really matter what the downmass is. In theory, a higher downmass/higher energy reentry should cause it to have a higher roll angle. It's more sensitive to the downrange position of the entry interface point than anything else, which is kind of the next thing I'm looking at solving.

My script does use the stock fuel valves to drain the remaining OMS fuel prior to reentry, but it shouldn't make that much of a difference, and I have not noticed too much difference in controllability keeping the fuel in the shuttle. I did that primarily for realism purposes.

So, dumb question. How exactly do I use this? I saw an example usage thing in the readme. Do I have to make a program to use the scripts and run that, or can I just run them on their own?

On 4/1/2021 at 11:15 AM, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

Hey @benjee10, I’m sure you’ve been asked this before, but I haven’t seen it on this thread if so and I’d be remiss if I didn’t at least ask. Is there any chance of you making any of the shuttle related stuff from the awesome Boldly Going alternate timeline that just wrapped up today, like the LRBs, Shuttle-C, and Shuttle-II? (Once they release the renders)

Not related to that alt timeline specifically, but there is a Shuttle-C mod based on SOCK on Spacedock (no forum page) https://spacedock.info/mod/2472/Project EOC(WIP)

Shuttle Block II is currently available in Cormorant, but is based around the stock MK3 fuselage.

Got two problems (although now that I write I should've posted in the ReDirect and PhotonCorp forum posts so apologies):
1. Using the edited Vector engines, they have the basic stock exhaust/engine effect. Mods listed below, running latest version (1.11.2 if I remember)

Spoiler

QgfGLqW.png

Spoiler

Zus1nIT.png

2. After the 4 segment SRB's from PhotonCorp burn out, decoupling them somehow smashes the nose cones into the ET, blowing it up. The nose cones should push them away from the tank, so I don't know why it happens unless it's because I'm using the standard ReDirect SRB decoupler with "foreign" boosters from another mod. Could also just be the flight profile going wrong.

Spoiler

cdB2FPP.png

Again, apologies if this isn't the right place to ask. Images in spoilers

2 hours ago, space_powder said:

Got two problems (although now that I write I should've posted in the ReDirect and PhotonCorp forum posts so apologies):
1. Using the edited Vector engines, they have the basic stock exhaust/engine effect. Mods listed below, running latest version (1.11.2 if I remember)

Reveal hidden contents

QgfGLqW.png

Reveal hidden contents

Zus1nIT.png

2. After the 4 segment SRB's from PhotonCorp burn out, decoupling them somehow smashes the nose cones into the ET, blowing it up. The nose cones should push them away from the tank, so I don't know why it happens unless it's because I'm using the standard ReDirect SRB decoupler with "foreign" boosters from another mod. Could also just be the flight profile going wrong.

Reveal hidden contents

cdB2FPP.png

Again, apologies if this isn't the right place to ask. Images in spoilers

This is a fine place to ask.

1. Since those engines don’t have waterfall configurations and you don’t have RealPlume installed, they’ll go back to stock plumes.

https://gist.github.com/Clamp-o-Tron/d59175b24d43434f7ac1be71809756fb
Will fix it by adding waterfall configurations to that engine, just copy/paste it into a new .cfg file somewhere in GameData.

2. I’ve experienced the same problem a lot, with or without the ET-SRB decouplers. Curiously, the Photon Corp nose doesn’t work on either reDIRECT or its own SRBs, and the reDIRECT nose doesn’t work on Photon Corp. Personally, I would not fire the nosecone separation motors and just use a lot of stock separatrons.

Hey @benjee10 I have a question about whether it is possible to make Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit compatible, with the IVA Extension mod (Or is there a patch or something similar).

I say this because I really like to press the buttons and levers in the cockpit. :)

On 4/2/2021 at 5:07 PM, DJ Reonic said:

So, dumb question. How exactly do I use this? I saw an example usage thing in the readme. Do I have to make a program to use the scripts and run that, or can I just run them on their own?

You first need to load them into memory. Since my files only contain functions (and the lazyglobal modifier) just run the scripts as you would any other script. That's what the first two lines of the example are doing. Once you do that, you should be able to run the functions from the terminal (I think you can do that in kOS anyway).

Alternatively, that example script in the readme should be a complete script that will calculate and perform the reentry burn and entry guidance, as long as you replace the <coordinates of KSC> bit with the actual coordinates of the landing site you want to target. I should probably reword that, as it can really target any arbitrary geocoordinates, not just KSC. You may also need to change the path of the files depending on where you place them on your local machine.

In the future, if you have more questions like this, you should probably message me, or create an issue on GitHub so that we don't bog down this thread with only tangentially related content. :D

7 hours ago, HelloMaxxo said:

How do i install it?

You need to extract the zip and copy the contents of the zips GameData folder into your KSP GameData folder. Then recheck, if all dependencies (mentioned in the first post and in the zip) are up-to-date (you will need to visit their forum threads). If not I would advise to update them, especially if you are playing on the latest KSP versions.

4 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

You need to extract the zip and copy the contents of the zips GameData folder into your KSP GameData folder. Then recheck, if all dependencies (mentioned in the first post and in the zip) are up-to-date (you will need to visit their forum threads). If not I would advise to update them, especially if you are playing on the latest KSP versions.

I do know how, but i need to know some things first:

1. Does putting the extras in the Mod's GameData folder where it needs to be affect the mod negatively?

2. (this is kinda dumb) Do i only put out the game data folder?

Edited by HelloMaxxo
#2 is kinda dumb

22 minutes ago, HelloMaxxo said:

I do know how, but i need to know some things first:

1. Does putting the extras in the Mod's GameData folder where it needs to be affect the mod negatively?

2. (this is kinda dumb) Do i only put out the game data folder?

1. I am not sure what you mean with the extras in the Mods GameData folder? You have Extras in the .zip, with install instructions (see below). Within the zips GameData folder, there are several subdirectories, you need to copy all of them to your KSP GameData folder.

2. For using the mod only the stuff in the GameData Folder is relevant. You can put the Extras, if you want the Discovery wings and other names. If you copy the craft files over in your savegame (not GameData) you do not need to build the Shuttle in the VAB/SPH, but can just load one. The Manual you probably need on your PC, to check how things are working.

54 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

1. I am not sure what you mean with the extras in the Mods GameData folder? You have Extras in the .zip, with install instructions (see below). Within the zips GameData folder, there are several subdirectories, you need to copy all of them to your KSP GameData folder.

2. For using the mod only the stuff in the GameData Folder is relevant. You can put the Extras, if you want the Discovery wings and other names. If you copy the craft files over in your savegame (not GameData) you do not need to build the Shuttle in the VAB/SPH, but can just load one. The Manual you probably need on your PC, to check how things are working.

I have the mod on, yet i cant see the parts? 

11 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

Then we need more information:

- Are you playing career or sandbox? (In career parts will only be available after some research)
- What KSP Version do you have?
- Could you post a screenshot of your GameData Folder?

1.11.2 Sandbox mode

(i have other  mods that may effect depending)

unknown.png

9 minutes ago, HelloMaxxo said:

1.11.2 Sandbox mode

(i have other  mods that may effect depending)

unknown.png

You copied the full GameData folder out of the zip. You only need to copy the content, so the directories in the zips GameData folder in your KSP GameData folder...