[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

I'm going to say I'd never put anything I planned to reach with the SOCK on any inclination that required a lot of crossrange to land.  Without FAR, the margins are too tight to land at your desired runway with any consistency, even when knowing the exact downrange point to deorbit.  You either need better crossrange capacity, or something to keep the electric charge happening for the days/weeks/months it might take to get an orbit that lines up with the runway.
When I fly with Ferram's and the Cormorant Aeronology shuttle, I can nail the runway every time, given the orbital path is even marginally close to Florida.  Ferram = Crossrange.  I basically fly the reentry using Trajectories, MechJeb Smart A.S.S., and the map view.  Adjust pitch and roll to keep the 'X' near the landing site.
I still can't do that with the SOCK because Ferram's doesn't work with it, which means the atmosphere is like syrup.
I'm good with anything that isn't off-plane, though.

7 hours ago, VostokV5 said:

Great mod! Loving it so far, but does this have support for RPM or any IVA mods? If not, are you planning on adding them in the future?

Although it doesn't support it and doesn't line-up particularly well, I've bolted the KermanTech IVA into the SOCK.  You just have to write your own patch for it.

That particular mod is useful with ScanSat to use the in-cockpit computer to eyeball your deorbit.

7 hours ago, VostokV5 said:

Great mod! Loving it so far, but does this have support for RPM or any IVA mods? If not, are you planning on adding them in the future?

No support for RPM currently, but I am planning to modify the IVA to make configuration for it easier in a future update. 

On 7/19/2021 at 12:51 AM, slaintemaith said:

Although it doesn't support it and doesn't line-up particularly well, I've bolted the KermanTech IVA into the SOCK.  You just have to write your own patch for it.

That particular mod is useful with ScanSat to use the in-cockpit computer to eyeball your deorbit.

How exactly did you do this? I don't really know anything about making patches and stuff, but I have already tried substituting the Part and Internal values from the SOCK Cockpit (OV_forwardFuselage & OV_shuttleIVA) with the Part and Internal values from the KermanTech mk3_patch, but nothing happens.

2 hours ago, VostokV5 said:

I have already tried substituting the Part and Internal values from the SOCK Cockpit (OV_forwardFuselage & OV_shuttleIVA) with the Part and Internal values from the KermanTech mk3_patch, but nothing happens.

KermanTech is going to have a patch called mk3_patch.cfg.
In it, lives this little bit of code:

@PART[mk3Cockpit_Shuttle]:NEEDS[RasterPropMonitor]
{
    MODULE,0
    {
        name = RasterPropMonitorComputer
    }
    %INTERNAL[MK3_Cockpit_Int]
    {
        %name = MK3_adv_Int
    }
}

I think it'll work if you make it look like this:

@PART[OV_forwardFuselage]:NEEDS[RasterPropMonitor]
{
    MODULE,0
    {
    }
    %INTERNAL[OV_shuttleIVA]
    {
        %name = MK3_adv_Int
    }
}

Also make sure you have the dependencies for KermanTech's IVA installed.  Pretty sure that RasterPropMon, and ASET Props and Agency.

11 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

KermanTech is going to have a patch called mk3_patch.cfg.
In it, lives this little bit of code:

@PART[mk3Cockpit_Shuttle]:NEEDS[RasterPropMonitor]
{
    MODULE,0
    {
    }
    %INTERNAL[MK3_Cockpit_Int]
    {
        %name = MK3_adv_Int
    }
}

I think it'll work if you make it look like this:

@PART[OV_forwardFuselage]:NEEDS[RasterPropMonitor]
{
    MODULE,0
    {
    }
    %INTERNAL[OV_shuttleIVA]
    {
        %name = MK3_adv_Int
    }
}

Also make sure you have the dependencies for KermanTech's IVA installed.  Pretty sure that RasterPropMon, and ASET Props and Agency.

It still doesn't work. Do you mind sharing the patch files that you edited? 

The problem is that would be the file.  That's all that should be in it, and all that it should need.
Wait. 
Sneaky.
Instead of OV_forwardFuselage, try benjee10_shuttle_forwardFuselage

Edited by slaintemaith

7 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

The problem is that would be the file.  That's all that should be in it, and all that it should need.
Wait. 
Sneaky.
Instead of OV_forwardFuselage, try benjee10_shuttle_forwardFuselage

Thanks! It works now :)

Yeah.  My bad--I don't actually have the SOCK installed because I like FAR.  Therefore no SOCK.  Therefore no IVA patch I could send you.  I'd literally have to do what I just did regardless.  =)
So I was making it up on the fly.  My mistake was thinking the filename would be the same as the part name.
Glad it's up and running!

Edited by slaintemaith

Does anyone have the files so that I can make the cryo tanks from ReDirect larger for the realism overhaul version of the shuttle (With engines that also match the new size ). On top of that I was also wondering if there textures that can further enhance the look of the shuttle. 

Thank you

4 hours ago, JediRangerkendor said:

How badly does this conflict with Shuttle Lifting Body? 
I like the looks of this one, but i can't give up the MMU parts in SLB.

They shouldn't conflict, it's just going to be a bit awkward having two different sets of Shuttle parts

30 minutes ago, Pepethecat said:

What? No that can't be tantares, you must have retextured if it thats true!

Hmm well I am flattered but no I didn’t do any retexturing. I reckon you are confused for one of the following reasons:

a) you haven’t tried the built-in texture-switching options available when you right click some of the parts in the VAB. You can select the tan fabric textures this way.

b) you don’t have the latest version of Tantares, so your parts don’t look the same or don’t have the same appearance options.

c) your eyes are being a little deceived by the graphics mods, high contrast shadows and whatnot. Or maybe the small decals on the sides (thanks to ConformalDecals). 

Whichever the case though I can assure you it is 95% Tantares parts and if you’d like some further help or advice you are welcome to PM me, since we should try to only talk about SOCK in this thread :)