[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

19 hours ago, CocoaGames said:

in my game data folder it does say its there. 

It says the rotator pitch and elbow are missing

You need htRobotics installed as this contains the Canadarm parts used in the craft files. You will also need either Breaking Ground or Infernal Robotics for these parts to function correctly. It sounds to me like you don't have htRobotics installed correctly.

12 hours ago, vardicd said:

@benjee10 Forgive me, I have a question about one line In the opening page,

"reDIRECT contains the External Tank & Boosters used in these screenshots, and is the recommended mod for building a complete shuttle stack for 2.5X scale solar systems."

Does this mean we shouldn't use the reDIRECT parts if we're just playing in the stock KSP solar system? 

I'm wary of spending hours fiddling with the reDIRECT parts trying to make the shuttle fly, only to find out that the boosters are too powerful to put me in LKO, and i should have used stock parts. 

Thank you for your time, and any response.

Yes, the reDIRECT stack (or indeed, any 5m stack fully fuelled) will be overkill for a stock system, unless you want your Shuttles to be able to reach the Mun or back. At stock scale, building something out of the 3.75m parts with 2.5m boosters will probably get you the most sensible performance. 

How do you work around the off center thrust from the OMS? Does it skip across the atmosphere if you pitch up too much during reentry?

I'm a fan of KSOS and Pak's shuttle parts pack. I know KSOS is broken upon download so I won't ask about a comparison with it. But how does it compare to flying shuttles made with Pak's mod pack? Easier, harder, about the same? The reason I'm asking is I suck at landing shuttles (planes in general) and I'm wondering if his reentry guide would have any relevance to your mod.

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

How do you work around the off center thrust from the OMS? Does it skip across the atmosphere if you pitch up too much during reentry?

I'm a fan of KSOS and Pak's shuttle parts pack. I know KSOS is broken upon download so I won't ask about a comparison with it. But how does it compare to flying shuttles made with Pak's mod pack? Easier, harder, about the same? The reason I'm asking is I suck at landing shuttles (planes in general) and I'm wondering if his reentry guide would have any relevance to your mod.

The cockpit has an additional -15 degree offset control point for OMS burns and flight after booster sep. Depending on how much you pitch up and when during reentry you could conceivably find yourself going back up due to lift but if you follow the guide in the manual that shouldn’t be a problem. The shuttle has been designed to fly as easily as possible while still being challenging. I don’t know how it compares to Cormorant or KSOS really - it’s meant to be broadly realistic but with a little wiggle room so it isn’t too difficult. So long as you aren’t pushing it too hard in terms of down mass or pulling crazy maneuvres it should fly pretty nicely.

Wow! I´m glad I´ve seen this new-release on Kottabos´ channel on youtube. So cool!

Not only the fact we´ve got a few vessels, ready-to-use, as example, but the instructions manual alone would already be worth the downloading!

Thank you!

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

P.s.: for anyone interested, it´s pretty easy to use the Shuttle alone with the stock rockets parts for launching.

Edited by Cataclism

11 hours ago, benjee10 said:

The cockpit has an additional -15 degree offset control point for OMS burns and flight after booster sep

Interesting, is this done with a bit of code, or is it done at the model level? I'm looking for possible solutions to add to my KSO patches. :)

11 hours ago, benjee10 said:

The shuttle has been designed to fly as easily as possible while still being challenging. I don’t know how it compares to Cormorant or KSOS really - it’s meant to be broadly realistic but with a little wiggle room so it isn’t too difficult. So long as you aren’t pushing it too hard in terms of down mass or pulling crazy maneuvres it should fly pretty nicely.

That's good to hear, I'll give it a try this weekend. Also, these are some really gorgeous parts. This is the best looking shuttle I've seen so far.

17 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Interesting, is this done with a bit of code, or is it done at the model level? I'm looking for possible solutions to add to my KSO patches. :)

It's very simple, you just add:

CONTROLPOINT
{
	name = angled
	displayName = -15
	orientation = 15, 0, 0
}

into your ModuleCommand module in the .cfg file. Obviously adjust the orientation/naming to whatever fits your needs. 

2 hours ago, benjee10 said:

It's very simple, you just add:

CONTROLPOINT
{
	name = angled
	displayName = -15
	orientation = 15, 0, 0
}

into your ModuleCommand module in the .cfg file. Obviously adjust the orientation/naming to whatever fits your needs. 

Thank you very much. I didn't know about this parameter. 

1 hour ago, PriusMann said:

Help me i downloaded IR Next Squencer and Robotics but i tried making a Kerboarm the robotic parts are missing p.s  i download the v3.0.2 1.7.2 above

This mod has only a 1.0-version, no 3.0.2. I think you mean IR Next. Please ask in the thread of IR Next how to download and install.

Another brilliant mod you got here @benjee10 

Having a little issue with the KerboArm though. I'm using the Infernal Robotics - next craft version and I've placed a power data grappling fixture onto a module, I just can't seem to get the arm to dock/connect to to the grappling fixture. Am I missing something? Reading through the manual just seems to snap together like a regular docking port if I'm not mistaken. 

D3E3OcG.png 

Edited by CrazyDan

On 7/9/2019 at 11:52 PM, Jim123 said:

I read the Readme file on the extra textures im still having b9 part errors and cat figure out how to do it?

What errors are you getting and which textures are you changing?

3 hours ago, CocoaGames said:

does anybody know of a mod that scales up kerbin by 2.5x

or the whole solar system i dont mind

Sigma dimensions, however this won't work with 1.7.2 as Kopernicus hasn't yet been updated. 

2 hours ago, CrazyDan said:

Another brilliant mod you got here @benjee10 

Having a little issue with the KerboArm though. I'm using the Infernal Robotics - next craft version and I've placed a power data grappling fixture onto a module, I just can't seem to get the arm to dock/connect to to the grappling fixture. Am I missing something? Reading through the manual just seems to snap together like a regular docking port if I'm not mistaken. 

D3E3OcG.png

The grapple fixture can only dock in 60 degree angle increments, so try to line the docking camera on the end effector with the target marker on the grapple fixture. 

The problem is i keep getting a B9 part switch warning. I wasn't entirely sure how to do it so i just dragged the columbia files in the parts folder it sorta works but i get that error.

30 minutes ago, Jim123 said:

The problem is i keep getting a B9 part switch warning. I wasn't entirely sure how to do it so i just dragged the columbia files in the parts folder it sorta works but i get that error.

I'll quote directly form the installation instructions which are included:

To install, drag the ColumbiaWings folder into your GameData/Benjee10_shuttleOrbiter/ folder. 

If you put the files in the wrong place then B9 doesn't know where to find them so will throw up an error. 

17 hours ago, benjee10 said:

What errors are you getting and which textures are you changing?

Sigma dimensions, however this won't work with 1.7.2 as Kopernicus hasn't yet been updated. 

The grapple fixture can only dock in 60 degree angle increments, so try to line the docking camera on the end effector with the target marker on the grapple fixture. 

For sigma dimensions what should i set the settings two

nvm

On 7/6/2019 at 12:57 AM, Zorg said:

Just a few pics from messing around :)

rlHc9GQh.png

eF8Xu2hh.png

6tULVEMh.png

The cancelled shuttle Centaur G from BDB

8uxchKQh.png

This OMS!

Rmh6D1vh.png

8qniMEhh.png

how did u get the SRB's to fit in the fire holes of the launch pad i may ask? mine always clipped into the pad and caused the kraken to smear the shuttle into the 5th dimension...

14 minutes ago, Abpilot said:

how did u get the SRB's to fit in the fire holes of the launch pad i may ask? mine always clipped into the pad and caused the kraken to smear the shuttle into the 5th dimension...

I don’t recall exactly, but liberal use of the translation gizmo was required on the towers, arms, clamps, pretty much everything. I can try to dig up the craft file in a short while. I never had issues at lift off with it. 

Do keep in mind that Alphamensae has said he will update the pad to match the SOCK shuttle in the future too :)

Edited by Zorg

10 hours ago, Abpilot said:

So I just checked my craft, I didnt insert the SRBs all the way to the proper position, its just slightly above as you can see. Its the best solution for now I think.

38ZiRXsh.png

Thers also some clipping and rotation of the arms

Mym1qn5h.png

Spoiler

Craft file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucmrs2w67enw75y/STS test.craft?dl=0

Action groups:

1. Fire ROFI

2. Toggle crew tower and tank access arm

3. toggle Rollaway service structure.

roll is disabled on the engines and the arm is not included.

Sub assembly for just the pad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ln2zcpsetvr9rio/Shuttle pad.craft?dl=0

Yep, I will be modifying the shuttle launcher parts to accomodate SOCK, but it won't happen until a later update of Modular Launch Pads v2.  The changes most likely will require modifying the launcher base itself as well as other parts, and if I'm going to do that, it might as well as be a part of a larger remake of both the Saturn and Shuttle bases ...which is what I'm going to do.  That's going to be major project, so it'll have to wait until after v2 is official. :)

After playing around with the shuttle for awhile last weekend, I have to say, nice job balancing it. I was able to bring it back to Kerban in one piece after several failed orbital attempts. (Some on purpose, some not.) Once I was able to get it orbital, orbital maneuvers were executed with minimal fuss, the reentry was easy and the flight to the ground was uneventful. (I still can't hit the KSC, yet alone the runway, but I landed it in one piece.)

My only real issues are these. The wings and the nodes need to be stronger. If the boosters don't clear properly after separation and bounce off the wings, either the wings would be knocked off or go kaboom. The included OMS engines either need more thrust or better ISP. Outside of it was taking forever to do orbital insertion and maneuver burns, the burns was using a lot more of my onboard fuel than expected. (Burns was done with 41 tonnes of ore ballast. I play stock system size, and test with the maximum amount of weight I can get to orbit without going crazy with the ET and booster stack.)

The only part I would like to see is an external tank mount for the stock tanks sizes. I was using the mount from the Cormorant because it looked better than any stock parts.