[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

8 hours ago, LawnDartLeo said:

Hi,

Reeeeeeeeely struggling to make an orbital rendezvous.  Yes, control point is set to forward (I read the manual).  OMS burns progressively run away on the ball with the blue indicator climbing away very rapidly as I near the end of a burn to an orbit during Hohmann transfer.

My ISS anxiously awaits a shuttle crew.  The Russians are making a mess of the place because that's the only thing I have been able to dock with so far.

Guidance appreciated.

When making OMS burns you want the control point set to -15 (in line with the engines), not forward. You can also throttle down towards the end of the burn (or thrust limit the engines) to give the RCS more control authority, or stop the burn early and make a smaller correction burn afterwards. 

1 minute ago, LawnDartLeo said:

I'm still flipping out.  I'll have to work on it more, later.

Soda cans with a nice symmetrical COG are a piece of cake.  The shuttle is a bear.

It is indeed rough. I tried the S-turns thing per the above suggestions and I still spun out and crashed. This particular shuttle didn't have the bailout controller, so it was an LOCV incident. I have a heavily modded game that makes testing difficult, so I'm just going to make a new install with only what I need to test the shuttle, and keep at it until I can actually use it.

Well folks, somehow it has been a whole year since the release of this mod, and on the same day we've hit 11,000 downloads! 

To celebrate, here's a small update with some additional parts & fixes for 1.10.0. I've added a bunch of structural tubes sized to fit inside the payload bay, which should increase the flexibility of missions you can fly. I'll be adding to this in the near future, mainly focusing on more payload bay mounting options. 

shuttleOrbiter1-1-0.png?width=2140&heigh

SPACEDOCK

Worth noting that reDIRECT is not yet updated nor have I tested a full stack in 1.10.0, however this update should be backwards compatible to 1.8+, so you can continue to fly there until other mods are updated. 

As always please let me know of any issues you find and I'll do my best to fix them. I'll be continuing to tweak the aero as time goes on so any feedback there is appreciated - I've improved it somewhat but it's still a little more squirrelly than it used to be!

Enjoy. 

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

I'll be adding to this in the near future

Can't wait for next summer!  :D

Strange bug with the latest update:  When the wing is switched to right orientation, I can't select it anymore.

Edited by MashAndBangers

2 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

Strange bug with the latest update:  When the wing is switched to right orientation, I can't select it anymore.

2 hours ago, davidy12 said:

For some reason, when I switch to the right wing, I can't select it.

I had the same problem. I copied OV_deltaWing cfg and mu files from the previous version to the new, seems to work now.

Ever since release this mod has been an amazing experience. Congratulations on your update! These were exactly the parts I would have wanted when flying my missions earlier today. :)

screenshot419.pngscreenshot421.png

It's great to see that this mod is getting the love it deserves.

3 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Congrats on the new update! Even a year later I'm still enjoying the shuttle

Here's some screenies from a couple of my shuttle flights.
screenshot67.png?width=1125&height=703

screenshot295.png?width=1125&height=703

screenshot186.png?width=1125&height=703

screenshot207.png?width=1125&height=703

screenshot256.png?width=1125&height=703

Great shots! What mod did you use for that docking hub? Is it from HabTech2?

gRgIFRe.png

Is there any reason the main engines on the shuttle are not receiving any fuel? Or do I need to put a line myself?

Also; for whatever reason I cannot click on the right wing. Running on 1.8.1.

EDIT:

x3uJA80.png

Still don't understand... lol

Edited by NateDaBeast

9 hours ago, MashAndBangers said:

Can't wait for next summer!  :D

Looks like I had accidentally disabled the colliders on that side while working on it. Hotfix now live!

1 hour ago, NateDaBeast said:

gRgIFRe.png

Is there any reason the main engines on the shuttle are not receiving any fuel? Or do I need to put a line myself?

Are you using the stock SSMEs or the versions provided by reDIRECT? The stock engines run on liquid fuel while the reDIRECT ones run on liquid hydrogen. For the reDIRECT external tank setup you'll want to use the liquid hydrogen version since that's what the fuel tank contains. 

2 hours ago, NateDaBeast said:

x3uJA80.png

As benjee said, make sure to see if you’re using the right engines as the shuttle runs on LH2/Oxidizer. I’d also add to double check the decoupler and see if crossfeed is enabled as well, I think i ran into that myself when first building out my shuttle stack.

6 hours ago, NateDaBeast said:

gRgIFRe.png

Also; for whatever reason I cannot click on the right wing. Running on 1.8.1.

EDIT:

x3uJA80.png

Still don't understand... lol

Use the SSMEs that come in reDIRECT and don’t forget to turn on fuel crossfeed in the tank’s decoupler

Good morning and Happy 4th of July.

@Emilius73, what filter are you using for the "scale model" appearance.  That's awesome!

Also... where is everyone getting the Docking port clamps with the 4 round petals?  I don't have these and I don't see them in HabTech or BDB which I am guessing would have them.