[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

On 03.05.2021 at 01:11, finkmac said:

QU0cSRu.png

Есть ли способ исправить это ... "вялый" внешний манипулятор?

Try to install the same tip as on the KerboArm on the rear of the fuselage (that is, on the back wall of the shuttle's cargo compartment). You need to put on the same level as the manipulator itself

Is it just me, or is the shuttle a bit too draggy? I find it nearly impossible to glide it to the landing site without falling like a brick. I'm in JNSQ and if I'm not very careful I find myself flying at <100m/s at 10km.

(@benjee10, could you look into this? Thanks in advance!)

2 minutes ago, Emilius73 said:

Is it just me, or is the shuttle a bit too draggy? I find it nearly impossible to glide it to the landing site without falling like a brick. I'm in JNSQ and if I'm not very careful I find myself flying at <100m/s at 10km.

(@benjee10, could you look into this? Thanks in advance!)

Well the shuttle irl flies like a brick, that's why they designed a whole fly by wire system just to keep it stable. It also flies at a very steep glide slope between -30 and -20 degrees.

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Well the shuttle irl flies like a brick, that's why they designed a whole fly by wire system just to keep it stable. It also flies at a very steep glide slope between -30 and -20 degrees.

I know, but in my opinion the SOCK shuttle flies much worse than even that

3 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

It flies fine with me, by any chance are you using the stock ssmes versus the SOCK engines?

I am not sure if he can. I guess they use LF/Ox and the tank only has LH2/Ox. So would need to change that as well.

3 hours ago, Emilius73 said:

I know, but in my opinion the SOCK shuttle flies much worse than even that

Are you actually using atmosphere autopilot? Without that I guess it will be quite hard.

I agree with SpaceFace that it flies quite well (the landing actually works better than the launch :-D ). I just did a mission yesterday in JNSQ and only thing I can say: Enter with 30°. Then later you need to keep it on 120-140m/s by moving nose down and only pull up on the last few hundred meters. It is definitely not a plane for long flights. Reentry and atmospheric drag/braking have to be timed to land at / sink towards a specific place.

1 hour ago, chris-kerbal said:

I am not sure if he can. I guess they use LF/Ox and the tank only has LH2/Ox. So would need to change that as well.

If he is using cryo engines and restock, which I assume everyone does than the stock ssmes will run on hydrolox

4 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

If he is using cryo engines and restock, which I assume everyone does than the stock ssmes will run on hydrolox

Huh, I am using both of the mods and thought the stock one is the ~1000kN  RS25 version, which runs on LF/Ox in my install. Whilst the ~800kN RS25B is the patched one to be used by the shuttle running on LH2/Ox. O_o

@benjee10
In regards to the odd effects for the Shuttle OMS engine, I took a look in the config "sharedAssets/Patches/waterfall_KJ10.cfg" and found two errors.

-The engine running sound does not play because the node "fx_puff_running" under the new EFFECTS node should just be titled "running"
-The strange triangular plume that appears ~50meters behind the engines' main plume is due to an extra TEMPLATE node titled "waterfall-kerolox-vernier-2" I am assuming this is not intended? If not removing this node will fix the strange plume.

Cheers!

I was delivering a satellite with the Kerboarm....

Spoiler

XJqhp71.png

And I had a flashback to... 8 years ago!

Spoiler

DMuSTmv.png

Not nearly as finicky as it used to be... although the old Buran manipulators didn't need a special docking port.

Looking forward to doing a proper recreation whenever the Buran releases! :D 

Okay so how do I get the waterfall configs for this?

I've seen posts about downloading Stock waterfall effects mod and editing the files, but how do I edit the files?

I know you said @benjee10that you aren't making the configs for now, but I was reading a few pages back about you having them up on Github, but I can't find any there

Please can I get a definitive answer from someone on where to get them and how to Install them

Thanks

(Sorry if I came across a bit rude there lol, I didn't mean too :D)

1 hour ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Okay so how do I get the waterfall configs for this?

I've seen posts about downloading Stock waterfall effects mod and editing the files, but how do I edit the files?

I know you said @benjee10that you aren't making the configs for now, but I was reading a few pages back about you having them up on Github, but I can't find any there

Please can I get a definitive answer from someone on where to get them and how to Install them

Thanks

(Sorry if I came across a bit rude there lol, I didn't mean too :D)

There is only a Waterfall-config for the KJ-10. It is included in sharedAssets folder.

not sure if this is the place but im having trouble with the shuttles KerboArm Latching end effector, im currently trying to attach it to a power/data grapple fixture but it wont magnetize, right now the end effector is hovering over the grapple fixture and it wont  do anything else, am i doing something wrong?

2 hours ago, AeroSky said:

Hey there! Just wondering whether the shuttle is compatible with Modular Launch Pad's shuttle launch tower, and is the shuttle compatible with MechJeb? Thanks!

The MLP tower is meant for Cormorant Aeronology's shuttle, but you can get it to work with SOCK with a bit of offsetting.

Edited by adsuri

First, I posted a month ago on the co-operative ReDirect forum that I have not launched either many ReDirect or SOCKs shuttles.   That has changed recently.    So I wanted to share some observations.

1) I love the configurability of SOCKs  

2)I also love the alt colors in SOCKs recolor (most of my Shuttles fly as MoonRakers from 007.   Orange is where it is at!)

3) I still haven't figured out how to get the manupilator arm to work effectively.....   I have tried both IR and the stock expansion (but then again Robotic arms was never my thing.  The fact that a realisitc one is included is a bonus...  

4) Surprisingly this shuttle seems to fly best with either Alcentar's or Beal's Energia as the booster (rather than IRL SRM+DropTank.)   I have both in my game mostly because I also have Alcentar's Kerbolrise shuttle.     I am using a Hydrolox Patch on Alcentar's parts.   I just stretch the Core stage to give enough Hydrolox for both the four RD0120s as well as the 3 SSMEs (or my last two launches were powered by BDB PW XLR129s.)

4a) I equate my conclusion in 4 due to the fact I am carrying over massed loads.   With the Energia booster I am launching the DOS/TKS based Russian ISS Modules (Zvezda... etc)

In the end, I am running three all up Shuttles on my playthrough.  And each has uses and unique capabilities.   The Kerbolrise is my "training" space shuttle.  It has a more "aerodynamic" setup for engines and control but is least realistic of the three shuttles.    I am running the old school sooper detailed (too detailed IMHO) Buran, as well as SOCKs.   Of the three the SOCKs shuttle most accurately flys in the glide to base as well as at launch.   The Kerbolrise shuttle is best in orbital maneuvers, and the old Buran shuttle... is ugly from the start and it is missing something (a good RD-58 engine for example.)

So to end this little post.  Thanks Benjee10, this mod is an amazing addition to your mod catalog!

Here's an SSME Waterfall patch for y'all.

screenshot291.png

Chuck this patch into a .cfg file anywhere in GameData.

Spoiler
// Original config by Knight Of St John, modified by KeaKaka
@PART[DIRECT_SSME_B]:NEEDS[Waterfall]
{
  !fx_exhaustFlame_blue = DELETE
  !fx_exhaustLight_blue = DELETE
  !fx_smokeTrail_light = DELETE
  !sound_vent_medium = DELETE
  !sound_rocket_hard = DELETE
  !sound_vent_soft = DELETE
  !sound_explosion_low = DELETE

// Removes the Realplume plumes
  !PLUME {}

// Removes the stock effect block, and replace it with one that has no particles
  !EFFECTS {}
  EFFECTS
  {
    engage
    {
      AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = Waterfall/Sounds/KW/sound_liq4
        volume = 0.8
        pitch = 1.0
        loop = false
      }
    }
    disengage
    {
        AUDIO
        {
          channel = Ship
          clip = sound_vent_soft
          volume = 0.8
          pitch = 2.0
          loop = false
        }
    }
    flameout
    {
      AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = sound_explosion_low
        volume = 0.8
        pitch = 2.0
        loop = false
      }
    }
    fx-vector-running
    {
     AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = Waterfall/Sounds/KW/sound_altloop
        volume = 0.0 0.0
        volume = 1.0 0.8
        pitch = 0.0 1.0
        pitch = 1.0 1.0
        loop = true
      }
    }
  }

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
  {
    @name = ModuleEnginesFX
	%runningEffectName = fx-vector-running
	!powerEffectName
  }

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleWaterfallFX
    moduleID = ssmeFX

CONTROLLER
    {
      name = atmosphereDepth
      linkedTo = atmosphere_density
    }
    CONTROLLER
    {
      name = throttle
      linkedTo = throttle
	  engineID = basicEngine
	  responseRateUp = 0.03
      responseRateDown = 0.2
    }
	CONTROLLER
    {
      name = randomshock1
      linkedTo = random
	  noiseType = perlin
	  scale = 1
	  speed = 5
	  seed = 1
    }
	CONTROLLER
    {
      name = randomshock2
      linkedTo = random
	  noiseType = perlin
	  scale = 1
	  speed = 8
	  seed = 10
    }
	CONTROLLER
    {
      name = randomshock3
      linkedTo = random
	  noiseType = perlin
	  scale = 1
	  speed = 5
	  seed = 100
    }
	CONTROLLER
    {
      name = randomshock4
      linkedTo = random
	  noiseType = perlin
	  scale = 1
	  speed = 8
	  seed = 1000
    }

TEMPLATE
    {
      templateName = stock-hydrolox-lower-1
      overrideParentTransform = thrustTransform
      scale = 1,1,1
      rotation = 0,0,0
      position = 0,0.0,0
    }

TEMPLATE
    {
      templateName = stock-hydrolox-core-1
      overrideParentTransform = thrustTransform
      scale = 1,1,1
      rotation = 0,0,0
      position = 0,0.0,0
    }

}

}

This patch also requires StockWaterfallEffects, which is linked below.

Edited by KeaKaka
Edits explained on pages 39 and 43 of this thread.

for some reason, i cannot for the life of me find the shuttle main engines when building it, I have everything else but those. Even did a fresh install of the mod incase i missed something.

1 minute ago, ltajax said:

for some reason, i cannot for the life of me find the shuttle main engines when building it, I have everything else but those. Even did a fresh install of the mod incase i missed something.

This mod doesn't contain the SSMEs - you can either use the stock Vectors, or if you want to use reDIRECT for the external tank + boosters it includes a hydrolox patched version of the vector engine.

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

This mod doesn't contain the SSMEs - you can either use the stock Vectors, or if you want to use reDIRECT for the external tank + boosters it includes a hydrolox patched version of the vector engine.

Do I need any parts from stock at all ? I usually play with all the stock parts removed and just the BDB parts, I also have your reDIRECT and HABTECH2 mods installed along with the shuttle.

18 hours ago, ltajax said:

Do I need any parts from stock at all ? I usually play with all the stock parts removed and just the BDB parts, I also have your reDIRECT and HABTECH2 mods installed along with the shuttle.

Yes, you need the Stock SSMEs. They only get patched by reDIRECT, hence the base one must be there.