[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

2 hours ago, Pepethecat said:

<Snip>

I don't see any mods that I know cause this behavior, but I would suggest either RetractableLiftingSurface or whatever mod it's a dependency of would be a good place to start looking.

Can anyone give me direction as to why the KJ-10 OMS won't properly attach to the aft fuselage model? Every other engine attaches fine to those points, but the KJ-10 will make a click like it is attaching, but not be visible. If I try to attach another KJ-10 to the other side, the engine just stays red like it doesn't belong on the aft fuselage.

I am using Steam on a Mac, not sure how much that complicates things although the directories themselves are the same once you get in the steam folder.

If I can provide any logs or anything definitive, please let me know. I've searched here, google, reddit. Can't find anyone else that had the same problem.

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, triplec76 said:

Can anyone give me direction as to why the KJ-10 OMS won't properly attach to the aft fuselage model?

I think this may have to do with the node attach rules specific to the aft fuselage. Try switching to single symmetry mode (radial or mirror doesn’t matter) then hold  the “Option” key and try to attach a single KJ-10 to one of the nodes. 

6 hours ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

0daRgGZ.png "Houston, we are under nuclear power and hauling ass!"

My Space Shuttle Pathfinder (OV-201) from FAMK, even though I've never seen the show lol. Launches on the side of a Jupiter 130, and with it's NERVA drive can put about 5 tons into Low Lunar Orbit and return in 2.5x RSS.

In the show Pathfinder was air-launched off the back of a C-5 Galaxy, which in my opinion is a monumentally stupid thing to have it do, NERVA or no. I think a Jupiter side-launch sounds way more plausible.

13 hours ago, Razgriz1 said:

I don't see any mods that I know cause this behavior, but I would suggest either RetractableLiftingSurface or whatever mod it's a dependency of would be a good place to start looking.

Hm, I removed it which didn't seem to affect any mods but it hasn't fixed anything. Do you have discord so I can talk to you more easily?

18 hours ago, Pepethecat said:

Hm, I removed it which didn't seem to affect any mods but it hasn't fixed anything. Do you have discord so I can talk to you more easily?

I'm sorry I don't really have time to help you try and track that down. I would definitely suggest trying the bisection method that Chris-Kerbal mentioned. Remove half of your mods at a time to find out which half contains the offending mod, then repeat on that half, and iterate down until you isolate which mod is causing the issue. If you are sufficiently familiar with some of the mods and you know that they don't in any way affect the parts concerned, you can skip those. Things like JNSQ, EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/Scatterer, SCANSat, and Waterfall for example definitely don't affect the control surface module that I've seen cause this sort of behavior.

On 6/8/2021 at 11:10 PM, lemon cup said:

I think this may have to do with the node attach rules specific to the aft fuselage. Try switching to single symmetry mode (radial or mirror doesn’t matter) then hold  the “Option” key and try to attach a single KJ-10 to one of the nodes. 

Thank you for the tip, but it didn't resolve the issue. I was at least able to play around with the mod using the prebuilt ones included in the bundle. I'm not going to have a lot of time to troubleshoot it until late next week sometime, but it is something I want to figure out what is going on. The KJ-10 just won't attach to any of the engine nodes. I think the manual says to use mirror single, but I tried it all to no avail. Also to note is that just about every other engine type will attach to the OMS nodes, just not the KJ-10.

I think when I get some time to work with it again, I'm going to start over from scratch because I did dump several mods in at once and I don't recall what order I put them in. So I need to go back to stock and just add this mod alone and test. Everything else about building the mod worked perfectly, so it is puzzling.

Edited by triplec76

So it's been some years time.  I know the SOCK still doesn't play well with Ferram, so has anyone developed reliable procedures (at least a good range from which to deorbit) for reentry for a 2.5x KSRSS?
With FAR and RSS, I can nail manual reentry deorbiting at 7500km downrange from my base, so long as I'm +/- 15 degrees away from my landing site.

Without FAR, the atmosphere is far more soupy and I have yet to develop a feel for when to deorbit.

Any help would be most ...helpful?

Edited by slaintemaith

1 hour ago, slaintemaith said:

Anyone?  Good 2.5x downrange deorbit distance to land at KSC?

Hey just thought I'd chime in with a little insight. I am also in 2.5x KSRSS. I can hit somewhat reliable runway landings (as long as I'm entering from a previously tested apoapsis) using a combination of trial and error (quicksaving), KerbalEngineer, and Mechjeb.

I start by lining up with KSC, and deorbiting when I reach roughly 1/3 of an orbit away from the KSCYes this part I do eyeball but it is pretty reliable as long as your orbit is not above 300km or so, and beyond that will require a different baseline but that is where individual testing comes in. I like to deorbit starting from 145km if possible.

Next I use MechJeb to set my angle of attack (nose-up angle) which I will adjust throughout the entire reentry. I will fly most of the reentry from the map view. In the image below you can see I've got the MechJeb SMART.A.S.S pulled up and using  the SVEL+ setting to adjust the orbiters entry angle. (The red circle is from Kerbal Engineer which also helps a lot because you can see how much energy you are losing/preserving based on how quickly it recedes).
9zgF4Wh.png

You run into a huge aerodynamic wall at about 35km altitude and that is where pitch angle really comes in, you can flatten your trajectory to keep some energy if it looks like you will come up short, or if you are about to overshoot you can crank pitch angle up really high, brake hard, and then just skydive down.

But like you said the aerodynamic model sort of makes 35km and below very soupy, so I always plan to come in high and brake like the dickens. The shuttle will lose a lot of speed if you try to do a "realistic" gliding descent - once the orbiter is traveling below 500m/s, you must fly in a shear dive to preserve any semblance of speed. Only flatten until right before you get to the KSC.

Thank you!  This gives me a good baseline to play with.  I'm used to the "greasier, thinner" Ferram atmo that needs deorbit pretty much halfway across the planet, and gives much more leeway regarding crossrange and playing with pitch and bank to get yourself to KSC again.
Without Ferram, the margins seem to be much tighter.  Which is fine--I just wanted to get some numbers to start with.

I really wish the SOCK played better with Ferram, but that's life, I guess.  =)

Also, I did *not* know Kerbal Engineer painted that sort of thing--I use Trajectories myself.

Thanks again!

Edited by slaintemaith

19 hours ago, lemon cup said:

I start by lining up with KSC, and deorbiting when I reach roughly 1/3 of an orbit away from the KSC.

You can actually nail this every time by making a custom MechJeb window for "Downrange," and add that element in from the "Recording" list, since it keeps track of how far you are from your launch point.

12 minutes ago, slaintemaith said:

You can actually nail this every time by making a custom MechJeb window for "Downrange," and add that element in from the "Recording" list, since it keeps track of how far you are from your launch point.

Whoah thanks I am going to have to try this on my next mission, didn’t know Mechjeb had that capability.

3 hours ago, lemon cup said:

We’ve been pushing this awesome mod to it’s  limits in the Shuttle Adventures thread, but so far we have not reached it yet! Here is a look at my latest contribution, STS-109.

AILMpyi.png
trOraSL.png

Holy smokes these are incredible screenshots! Mind if I add them to the OP

On 4/22/2021 at 6:25 PM, Razgriz1 said:

Aaaaaand just when I think that I've started to make some progress with reentry guidance, someone else comes along and WAY outdoes me...

Has anyone tested this in stock?

i’m reluctant to try at the moment lol

Edited by CollectingSP

5 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Holy smokes these are incredible screenshots! Mind if I add them to the OP

Sure thing! There’s many other top notch shots in the mission thread from @Kuiper_Belt and @Beccab. I can’t speak for them but I think if propositioned, they would gladly give you pick of the litter as well :cool: