[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

1 hour ago, slaintemaith said:

The author of the kOS script tried adapting it for the SOCK, but to no avail.

Also it requires FAR in order to pull the data it needs, and SOCK is not well suited for FAR. I haven't completely given up hope yet, but it's not looking super promising.

2 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

...which I thought odd, since Cormorant Aeronology's & DECQ's shuttle seem to work fine with FAR.

The primary issue is that FAR can't handle the part switches. It calculates the part's aerodynamic properties based on the original attach node, so one wing is fine, but then when you put the other one on, its aerodynamic forces act at the location where it would have before switching the part. This causes unbalanced aerodynamic forces that are uncontrollable. Another smaller issue is that, to my knowledge, FAR cannot handle multiple control surfaces on the same part, meaning that it can't really deal with the split rudder quite correctly, although that one is easier to fudge the numbers a bit to approximate correct behavior.

See this discussion in the RO Github for a bit more information on the issues with getting SOCK to work with FAR.

13 hours ago, lemon cup said:

We’ve been pushing this awesome mod to it’s  limits in the Shuttle Adventures thread, but so far we have not reached it yet! Here is a look at my latest contribution, STS-109.

AILMpyi.png
trOraSL.png

Been meaning to ask; what parts are you using for Hubble and the tool for carrying astronauts on the Canadarm?

35 minutes ago, Razgriz1 said:

The primary issue is that FAR can't handle the part switches. It calculates the part's aerodynamic properties based on the original attach node, so one wing is fine, but then when you put the other one on, its aerodynamic forces act at the location where it would have before switching the part. This causes unbalanced aerodynamic forces that are uncontrollable. Another smaller issue is that, to my knowledge, FAR cannot handle multiple control surfaces on the same part, meaning that it can't really deal with the split rudder quite correctly, although that one is easier to fudge the numbers a bit to approximate correct behavior.

I think I see.  The Cormorant Shuttle has most of these features, but are implemented without node attachment points.  The wings and control surfaces both attach like stock wings--without nodes to lock them in place.  Not sure how the tail works--since that's also a split rudder config.
I'm guessing the SOCK is too far along to change it that drastically for RSS/RO.

*EDIT: Although it looks like Nathan Kell has come to the rescue on how to make it go.

Edited by slaintemaith

6 minutes ago, slaintemaith said:

I think I see.  The Cormorant Shuttle has most of these features, but are implemented without node attachment points.  The wings and control surfaces both attach like stock wings--without nodes to lock them in place.  Not sure how the tail works--since that's also a split rudder config.
I'm guessing the SOCK is too far along to change it that drastically for RSS/RO.

*EDIT: Although it looks like Nathan Kell has come to the rescue on how to make it go.

I haven't tried my hand at making the wings surface attached yet, though I suspect it may still have issues with the part switch. I'm not familiar enough with how the part switching works to know how to properly convert that to surface attach. If someone does know how to do this, I have worked out the FAR configs, at least preliminarily.

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Been meaning to ask; what parts are you using for Hubble and the tool for carrying astronauts on the Canadarm?

The mod Spacedust has a nearly perfect replica of the Hubble’s main telescope assembly.

You’re on your own for the solar panels and the support module however. I used an SSPXR part and round probe core on mine.

For the CanadArmChair (not a real term lol) the basic idea can be executed several ways. It’s essentially a stock Command Seat tweakscaled down to be smaller than the kerbal model. When the kerbal sits in it, it clips inside their body and looks like they are just floating in space. Attach the seat to a small structural part and make a way for the Canadarm to dock to it, some way for it to dock to the Shuttle bay walls (for storage) and lastly use a strut connector on the seat to make it look like the Kerbal is being supported by a rod.

On 7/4/2020 at 2:29 AM, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Congrats on the new update! Even a year later I'm still enjoying the shuttle

Here's some screenies from a couple of my shuttle flights.
screenshot67.png?width=1125&height=703

screenshot295.png?width=1125&height=703

screenshot186.png?width=1125&height=703

screenshot207.png?width=1125&height=703

screenshot256.png?width=1125&height=703

What is the mod that add the white and red node module?

hello,

I don't know if this question has already been asked, but is it normal if the two APAS can't dock with each other? If I understood correctly, the shiny one is the active and the other the passive?

thanks

53 minutes ago, BobobXP said:

hello,

I don't know if this question has already been asked, but is it normal if the two APAS can't dock with each other? If I understood correctly, the shiny one is the active and the other the passive?

thanks

You might need to retract the SCR to allow docking

53 minutes ago, BobobXP said:

hello,

thanks

No, both are androgynous. But one is the new model from a recent update, the other is the old style, and they are not compatible.

26 minutes ago, CollectingSP said:

You might need to retract the SCR to allow docking

26 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

No, both are androgynous. But one is the new model from a recent update, the other is the old style, and they are not compatible.

oh ok, thank you !!!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

How do you get the arm to manipulate anything without waving crazily?

Set the traverse rate to 2 and only do small partial movements. If you need to build e.g., a station, always put the arm in the right position to pick up and drop off parts in the VAB and note down the angles (sort of dry run). If you pick up parts, always see if the magnetic forces of the grapple fixture have bend the arm. you can see that , if the actual angle is not matching your defined angle. Correct that first, before you e.g., undock a piece in the shuttle bay.

I am once again here asking for help.

I was trying to add the vector engines on the back of the orbiter since they have nicer plumes and sounded better. However the fuel from the tank would not go through properly (Fuel tank from the ReDirect mod). I would always seem to end up with a ridiculously low delta V count no matter what I tried (Whenever a flameout occurred with the engines it said that they were liquid fuel deprived). Is there a fix for this or will I have to use the "rainstorm" engines that come with the mod?

https://imgur.com/a/EiGDcHA

Thank you.

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

I was trying to add the vector engines on the back of the orbiter since they have nicer plumes and sounded better. However the fuel from the tank would not go through properly (Fuel tank from the ReDirect mod). I would always seem to end up with a ridiculously low delta V count no matter what I tried (Whenever a flameout occurred with the engines it said that they were liquid fuel deprived). Is there a fix for this or will I have to use the "rainstorm" engines that come with the mod?

Thank you.

If you're using the stock/restock SSMEs purely on a cool plume basis, I posted a waterfall config a few pages back.

On 5/21/2021 at 9:37 AM, KeaKaka said:

Here's an SSME Waterfall patch for y'all.

screenshot291.png

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[DIRECT_SSME_B]:NEEDS[Waterfall&!ReStock]
{
  !fx_exhaustFlame_blue = DELETE
  !fx_exhaustLight_blue = DELETE
  !fx_smokeTrail_light = DELETE
  !sound_vent_medium = DELETE
  !sound_rocket_hard = DELETE
  !sound_vent_soft = DELETE
  !sound_explosion_low = DELETE

// Removes the Realplume plumes
  !PLUME {}

// Removes the stock effect block, and replace it with one that has no particles
  !EFFECTS {}
  EFFECTS
  {
    engage
    {
      AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = Waterfall/Sounds/KW/sound_liq4
        volume = 0.8
        pitch = 1.0
        loop = false
      }
    }
    disengage
    {
        AUDIO
        {
          channel = Ship
          clip = sound_vent_soft
          volume = 0.8
          pitch = 2.0
          loop = false
        }
    }
    flameout
    {
      AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = sound_explosion_low
        volume = 0.8
        pitch = 2.0
        loop = false
      }
    }
    fx-vector-running
    {
     AUDIO
      {
        channel = Ship
        clip = Waterfall/Sounds/KW/sound_altloop
        volume = 0.0 0.0
        volume = 1.0 0.8
        pitch = 0.0 1.0
        pitch = 1.0 1.0
        loop = true
      }
    }
  }

@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]
  {
    @name = ModuleEnginesFX
	%runningEffectName = fx-vector-running
	!powerEffectName
  }

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleWaterfallFX
    moduleID = ssmeFX

CONTROLLER
    {
      name = atmosphereDepth
      linkedTo = atmosphere_density
    }
    CONTROLLER
    {
      name = throttle
      linkedTo = throttle
	  engineID = basicEngine
	  responseRateUp = 0.03
      responseRateDown = 0.2
    }
	CONTROLLER
    {
      name = randomshock1
      linkedTo = random
	  noiseType = perlin
	  scale = 1
	  speed = 5
	  seed = 1
    }
	CONTROLLER
    {
      name = randomshock2
      linkedTo = random
	  noiseType = perlin
	  scale = 1
	  speed = 8
	  seed = 10
    }
	CONTROLLER
    {
      name = randomshock3
      linkedTo = random
	  noiseType = perlin
	  scale = 1
	  speed = 5
	  seed = 100
    }
	CONTROLLER
    {
      name = randomshock4
      linkedTo = random
	  noiseType = perlin
	  scale = 1
	  speed = 8
	  seed = 1000
    }

TEMPLATE
    {
      templateName = stock-hydrolox-lower-1
      overrideParentTransform = thrustTransform
      scale = 1,1,1
      rotation = 0,0,0
      position = 0,0.0,0
    }

TEMPLATE
    {
      templateName = stock-hydrolox-core-1
      overrideParentTransform = thrustTransform
      scale = 1,1,1
      rotation = 0,0,0
      position = 0,0.0,0
    }

}

}

Just stick this in a new .cfg file anywhere in GameData.

7 hours ago, MikeD said:

Thank you.

reDIRECT fuel tanks contain liquid hydrogen and oxidizer whereas the stock vectors run on liquid fuel and oxidizer. Presumably they are burning just the LFO OMS fuel on the orbiter, which is why they are flaming out so quickly. You can fix this by either using a hydrolox engine (e.g. the Rainstorms included with reDIRECT) or replacing the external tank with a tank that contains liquid fuel & oxidizer (e.g. the making history 5m tanks).