[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

17 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

This. The model and textures Benjee created for his Shuttle are incredible, but lighting is everything. 

The game’s default lighting will make even the best textures look flat and uninteresting, TUFX can boost your lighting effects significantly.

Sorry if I am being slightly vague so i'll get straight to the point. 

@lemon cup I was wondering what you had to do in order to make your shuttle look the way it does (Having it resemble the look of the real ones so well). I would quite like to try it out myself. 

I hope that cleared things up as I already have the lighting taken care of and TUFX already installed.  I am only seeking what you had to do to change the look of the orbiter, external tank and boosters themselves. 

Once again sorry if I was not clear before 

Thank you 

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Sorry if I am being slightly vague so i'll get straight to the point. 

@lemon cup I was wondering what you had to do in order to make your shuttle look the way it does (Having it resemble the look of the real ones so well). I would quite like to try it out myself. 

I hope that cleared things up as I already have the lighting taken care of and TUFX already installed.  I am only seeking what you had to do to change the look of the orbiter, external tank and boosters themselves. 

Once again sorry if I was not clear before 

Thank you 

2 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I believe that’s Benjee’s ReDirect mod. The decals are probably Conformal Decals

^ SOCK orbiter, Conformal Decals markings (probably. Could also just be the ones SOCK comes with), reDIRECT ET and SRBs. And a good customized TUFX profile, the default ones are really plain.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

On one final note would anyone be so kind as to link the files in which I can change the look of the shuttle. (I am still slightly new to pc and do not a good grasp on this stuff). 

Anything would be greatly appreciated and I want to thank everyone that has helped me to this point. 

11 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I believe that’s Benjee’s ReDirect mod. The decals are probably Conformal Decals

Yes, probably. my reDIRECT tank looks the same.

5 hours ago, MikeD said:

On one final note would anyone be so kind as to link the files in which I can change the look of the shuttle. (I am still slightly new to pc and do not a good grasp on this stuff). 

Anything would be greatly appreciated and I want to thank everyone that has helped me to this point. 

I am not sure what you mean with that? The different Shuttly types, e.g., names are all configurable in the VAB. reDIRECT is another mod from benjee that you need to install like SOCK. Conformal decals as well another mod, however there you can use .png files in the flags folder for the decal or install a decals pack.

Regarding TUFX, this does not change specifically the shuttle, but the overall lighting and look of the rendering in KSP. For that you either have to configure your own setup in the game and save it or use a .cfg file from someone else (that you just copy into the GameData folder). Probably best then to look at the discussions in the TUFX thread. Some people even post their TUFX profile in the signature.

However there is not one stop shop to get the same result other than from the person who did the screenshot. There might be other mods or configurations included to get the look. Overall it is a lot of tinkering and testing.

16 hours ago, MikeD said:

Sorry to cause this confusion, hopefully I can clear some of it up.

Firstly in all my posts lately I have made sure to link to the source mission report thread, which includes a full list of mods used by myself and Kuiper_Belt, plus occasional snippets where we talk about the techniques we use to achieve that end result.

As far as the details go on the build, I constructed the External Tank using parts from ReStock and NFLV, which has a collection of 5m orange tanks to replicate space shuttle and SLS parts. The boosters are from ReStock Plus, tweakscaled and rebalanced via config editing.

Finally the decals you see decorating various parts of the shuttle are all individually created and placed using Conformal Decals, which is a bit painstaking but the end result is well worth it.

Much of it bares a lot in common with IRL model building and kitbashing. Of course you can buy the model kits and assemble them out of the box, but to elevate the build to presentation level requires some trial and error and time.

By no means do I intend to gatekeep any of this material by the way! However I don’t want to clog up the mod’s release thread with off topic discussions or anything like that. I keep meaning to create a thread that discusses recreation build techniques in detail but just haven’t had time to lately. In the meantime please feel free to PM me :)

6 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Sorry to cause this confusion, hopefully I can clear some of it up.

Firstly in all my posts lately I have made sure to link to the source mission report thread, which includes a full list of mods used by myself and Kuiper_Belt, plus occasional snippets where we talk about the techniques we use to achieve that end result.

As far as the details go on the build, I constructed the External Tank using parts from ReStock and NFLV, which has a collection of 5m orange tanks to replicate space shuttle and SLS parts. The boosters are from ReStock Plus, tweakscaled and rebalanced via config editing.

Finally the decals you see decorating various parts of the shuttle are all individually created and placed using Conformal Decals, which is a bit painstaking but the end result is well worth it.

Much of it bares a lot in common with IRL model building and kitbashing. Of course you can buy the model kits and assemble them out of the box, but to elevate the build to presentation level requires some trial and error and time.

By no means do I intend to gatekeep any of this material by the way! However I don’t want to clog up the mod’s release thread with off topic discussions or anything like that. I keep meaning to create a thread that discusses recreation build techniques in detail but just haven’t had time to lately. In the meantime please feel free to PM me :)

Thank you very much for clearing this up for me.

54 minutes ago, DaBaby Kerman said:

Hey Lemon, I saw that picture of the Shuttle Launch and was wondering if you would be willing to share how you got those great plumes for the SSMEs.

There are some Waterfall configs for the SSME's posted somewhere in this thread.

On 8/22/2021 at 5:10 PM, Razgriz1 said:

There are some Waterfall configs for the SSME's posted somewhere in this thread.

It's not working for me, I made the .txt file into a .cfg file, put it into a folder called "SOCK Waterfall Config", and I still ended up with the normal blue plumes. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

26 minutes ago, DaBaby Kerman said:

It's not working for me, I made the .txt file into a .cfg file, put it into a folder called "SOCK Waterfall Config", and I still ended up with the normal blue plumes. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Obvious question: You did install the waterfall mod?

1 hour ago, DaBaby Kerman said:

Is said folder contained within your GameData folder?

8 minutes ago, DaBaby Kerman said:

It's pretty weird how it's not working,  @KeaKaka Is there anything I could to do fix it??

Do you have ReStock as well? If you do, remove the &!ReStock from the first line of the config, as that causes it to be disabled if it detects ReStock. Since Benjee copies the engine before ReStock changes it, this part is actually unnecessary, and is just a holdover from the config KeaKaka used to create this one.

1 minute ago, Razgriz1 said:

Do you have ReStock as well? If you do, remove the &!ReStock from the first line of the config, as that causes it to be disabled if it detects ReStock. Since Benjee copies the engine before ReStock changes it, this part is actually unnecessary, and is just a holdover from the config KeaKaka used to create this one.

I'll try doing that, I THINK I have before, but I'm not sure. I'll let you know how it goes.

13 minutes ago, DaBaby Kerman said:

@Razgriz1 That didn't work. I'm tired of seeing that ugly-ass blue plume, I'd appreciate if someone could help.

When the game is loading the ModuleManager patches, does it show any warnings or errors? If so, looking at the module manager log could help. If not, then I'm not sure where your problem is.

11 minutes ago, Razgriz1 said:

When the game is loading the ModuleManager patches, does it show any warnings or errors? If so, looking at the module manager log could help. If not, then I'm not sure where your problem is.

There's a warning, but it's for a separate mod. I've contacted the person who made the configs and he said it's on his part. He's fixing something up and will re-upload it soon.

1 minute ago, DaBaby Kerman said:

There's a warning, but it's for a separate mod. I've contacted the person who made the configs and he said it's on his part. He's fixing something up and will re-upload it soon.

Then check the module manager log in the logs directory. There you should find a line in which the patch file was applied or rejected. If it is missing overall, you might have a syntax or file placing issue.

2 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

Then check the module manager log in the logs directory. There you should find a line in which the patch file was applied or rejected. If it is missing overall, you might have a syntax or file placing issue.

It said it changed the config.

5 minutes ago, DaBaby Kerman said:

It said it changed the config.

So do you have the waterfall GUI in the game activated? Open that up and see if it shows effects.

You can also check the module manager cache file in the GameData Folder and search for the part. There you'll see the final config and should see the parts of the patch

Edited by chris-kerbal