[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

Along with p. 15, MechJeb (to hold attitude & cancel relative velocity with the Smart RCS function), and fine RCS mode, you might want this mod:
It's an oldie, but a goodie.  When you get into 'rough' aligned position with your docking target (i.e., roughly in line with your nose facing the target docking port, I tend to set the Shuttle docking port as the "Control From Here" object, then slowly and meticulously use the mod below to line me up with the docking port.  Once that's established, I can (for the most part) dock using small translation RCS movements--but remember, your axes have shifted when you're controlling from the docking port.  "Up" is now "forward," etc. 

Edited by slaintemaith

Hey all, Hoping to get some help. I have downloaded this mod and looked through the Manual which was great got me 98% there but seem to be having an issue getting into Orbit. I have got the other Mods that were suggested too for the engines and the Fuel tanks etc. but can't seem to get the thing to orbit. Added the Full Orange tank on Redirect Mod The  Direct KL.10B engine which from what I can tell is the correct one and the one that snaps perfectly with the Extendable cone for Atmospheric vs Vacuum flight doesn't seem to have the power to get there after the solid boosters detach. I also had to change the  OMS engines as they seem to glitch out the build, they disappear when attached and then the only way to get anything to work again is to start a new design or quit the game. So I replaced with the Terrier although this is just in a void so not really tested this out yet as can't get to orbit. I am 100% certain I am doing something wrong and hoping to get some help from the people more familiar with the mod. I am using stock Solar system so know the tanks are over kill but dial down the fuel in the tank to suit. I also have all the DLC's not got any other mods that should affect physics in anyway or performance other than the ones suggested in this mod. any help appreciated, thank you.

14 hours ago, CT Tech said:

Hey all, Hoping to get some help. I have downloaded this mod and looked through the Manual which was great got me 98% there but seem to be having an issue getting into Orbit. I have got the other Mods that were suggested too for the engines and the Fuel tanks etc. but can't seem to get the thing to orbit. Added the Full Orange tank on Redirect Mod The  Direct KL.10B engine which from what I can tell is the correct one and the one that snaps perfectly with the Extendable cone for Atmospheric vs Vacuum flight doesn't seem to have the power to get there after the solid boosters detach. I also had to change the  OMS engines as they seem to glitch out the build, they disappear when attached and then the only way to get anything to work again is to start a new design or quit the game. So I replaced with the Terrier although this is just in a void so not really tested this out yet as can't get to orbit. I am 100% certain I am doing something wrong and hoping to get some help from the people more familiar with the mod. I am using stock Solar system so know the tanks are over kill but dial down the fuel in the tank to suit. I also have all the DLC's not got any other mods that should affect physics in anyway or performance other than the ones suggested in this mod. any help appreciated, thank you.

If you are playing stock there should be absolutely no problem to get to orbit. I'm using the parts unmodified in JNSQ and reach up to 500km orbit. So it is hard to tell what is going on with your flight. As far as I know the stock SSME should be the right engine to use which gets patched with the Shuttle mod.

On 1/6/2022 at 4:22 AM, CT Tech said:

I'm not sure about the assembly issues you're having.
If you're not using MechJeb to help, you can always try that.
Here's a video I made a million years ago.  The same settings should apply, even though it's a different shuttle.

Edited by slaintemaith

3 hours ago, Distantthunder9 said:

I cant seem to get it to work, none of the parts show up in my build menu.

Can someone please help me?

Edit: Fixed, but now it gives me an issue with B9 Part switch and the Columbia wing streaks so idk lol

Do you have the newest B9? Mostly this B9-errors can be ignored.

On 1/6/2022 at 1:22 AM, CT Tech said:

I also had to change the  OMS engines as they seem to glitch out the build, they disappear when attached and then the only way to get anything to work again is to start a new design or quit the game.

I think this part might be due to having an outdated shared assets folder. 

Also, if it helps, here's a very non-cinematic video of my settings and ascent profile to a 120km orbit in KSRSS:

Spoiler

edit: Also, I've just realized that in this video I had set the control point to -15 earlier than needed. It doesn't need to be done until the OMS engines are used, I believe - but as you can see MechJeb doesn't care. Womp.

Edited by OrbitalManeuvers

• 2 weeks later...

With @benjee10's permission, I've started working on a MAS-compatible IVA for S.O.C.K. This is a very WIP image of the progress so far.

t8ekvgP.png

I had to alter the control panel and glare shield mesh to make things fit. The dimensions still aren't perfect, but everything fits now! It won't be 100% accurate, but I think it'll be close enough. I'm working on setting up shuttle-specific versions of existing MAS/ASET props for more accurate labels and uniform text sizing. Right now my priority is getting the gauges, buttons, and switches set up on the forward control panel and center console. It's getting there!

On 1/22/2022 at 5:00 PM, benjee10 said:

This is a part from reDIRECT, it's a hydrolox version of the stock SSME. 

is that another mod or is it included in your mod?

2 minutes ago, DrKevin said:

nevermind.  read the fine print...but I did notice that B9Partswitch and Benjee10 shared assets was included in reDIRECT, which one should I use?

2 hours ago, DrKevin said:

nevermind.  read the fine print...but I did notice that B9Partswitch and Benjee10 shared assets was included in reDIRECT, which one should I use?

For B9: download it separately from here to make sure it is the newest:

Shared Assets should be the newest in both mods.

On 1/23/2022 at 2:27 AM, Doc Shaftoe said:

With @benjee10's permission, I've started working on a MAS-compatible IVA for S.O.C.K. This is a very WIP image of the progress so far.

t8ekvgP.png

I had to alter the control panel and glare shield mesh to make things fit. The dimensions still aren't perfect, but everything fits now! It won't be 100% accurate, but I think it'll be close enough. I'm working on setting up shuttle-specific versions of existing MAS/ASET props for more accurate labels and uniform text sizing. Right now my priority is getting the gauges, buttons, and switches set up on the forward control panel and center console. It's getting there!

When do you think this is done? :)

On 8/30/2021 at 2:22 AM, KeaKaka said:

This problem is present if you have an outdated version of Benjee10_SharedAssets. Update that and the problem is solved.

Um hi, I also have this problem and I wonder, where do you download the latest Benjee10_SharedAssets folder?
I downloaded one from https://github.com/benjee10/Shuttle-Orbiter-Construction-Kit but the OMS is still broken.

On 1/22/2022 at 8:27 PM, Doc Shaftoe said:

This is a very WIP image of the progress so far.

PRETTY!!!
Have you seen the KermanTech shuttle IVA for the Cormorant version?  There are some useful-beyond-pretty gauges it has--one a GPS tracker over a globe instrument--which can show your position or a target's position relative to the map, and a computer display mode that shows the paths of the past,current, and next orbit, which is incredibly useful for plotting deorbit burns.  

I have seen the Kermantech IVA! I've also used the Ultimate Shuttle IVA and the Mid-deck Shuttle IVA. They're all great in their own ways, but aren't quite what I'm going for. Right now my intent is to replicate the actual shuttle cockpit as faithfully as I can with existing MAS/ASET props. Until I can figure out how to write custom CRT pages for MAS, the glass cockpit/MEDS version of the IVA will be easier to use in-game just thanks to the wonderful MFD pages already available.

I've still got a lot of work to do before I'll feel comfortable enough to put it out in the wild. Best I can say right now is that it'll be ready when it's ready.

• 3 weeks later...