[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

just wanted to share this kitbashed block II-ish shuttle (inspired by pathfinder) That I made using this mod as the framework.  The shuttle is named endurance and flies really nicely. 

9B29F873-3EE7-432B-BFA6-725693E9458F.png

unknown.pngunknown.png

Edited by TheLoneOne
more images

2 hours ago, ExMachina said:

Does this model work with FAR?

No, not really.  There are a few parts (especially the split rudder) that can't be configured correctly in FAR. That being said, it will fly, but the aerodynamics aren't remotely right.

Hello Again, I have some stuff now

ytQIsZS.png

a8XCnRS.png

Qty8cfk.png

So I learned Gimp and messed around with the Shuttle ET Textures for pride month.

Then along with that I made some extra textures for stuff such as

Yellow ET

mju2K1e.jpeg

OdtpI1B.jpeg

sHpYpFh.jpeg

Gj1XE7D.jpeg

XnOlpHP.jpeg

IzN4t4n.jpeg

Yes there are more colors than just yellow such as Green, Red, Purple, and an improved STs-1 white

Originally this was a mod I made a fork of called "reCOLOR", but then I realized that the textures are based off of Benjees textures and thus requires permission to release, which I do not have. So I took it down and just am using the files for myself. But if possible I will try to get permission from @benjee10 about it, or I'll just send the files and stuff to someone who already has permission and see if they would like it and would want to release it.

Edited by AstroMods

14 minutes ago, yummyKSP said:

can someone give me some help with launch with RSS using mechjeb ive read the manual but i still seem to struggle 

Struggle in which ways? Does your rocket just fail to reach orbit, does it pitch down into the ground, etc. I need some more info than I'm sure we can figure something out.

4 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Struggle in which ways? Does your rocket just fail to reach orbit, does it pitch down into the ground, etc. I need some more info than I'm sure we can figure something out.

Mine does that too sometimes in KSRSS where it reaches like 15 degrees at like 10km

On 5/20/2022 at 9:13 AM, Arthurism said:

Oooh, while you're doing buran's tiled surface, can you also do Columbia and Challenger's tiled body?

unknown.png

Hello there, I'm gonna get straight to the point here. I made a texture pack that adds a part switch that changes the cockpit, payload bay, and delta wing textures to be more inline with Columbia and Challenger's tiled design. And I'm wondering if @benjee10 would allow me to share this as a mod :).

Here's some sneak peeks:

Challenger:

Spoiler

20220623132507_1.jpg1.jpg

Columbia:

Spoiler

20220625212225_1.jpg20220625211609_1.jpg20220625152508_1.jpg

Edited by Arthurism

23 hours ago, Arthurism said:

1.jpg

The texture pack also has Columbia's tiled delta wing texture with the black TPS at the front but I don't really have any good picture of it.

Looks awesome. Have you tried generating a normal map texture for highlighting the tiles? I'm still getting the hang of editing UVs and that is next on my want-to-learn list.

Speaking of, now's probably a good time to show off something similar that I've been working on: 

A set of textures that replicates the "scorched" exteriors that the Orbiters began to display towards the end of their lives in the late 2000s. Loosely based on Discovery after returning from STS-133, her last mission.
fXcIw5G.png
CKA3lyr.png

Still polishing, then I'll probably see if can write them into the existing B9PartSwitchConfigs, or perhaps hand them off to another SOCK Recolor mod :P

On 6/25/2022 at 1:44 PM, Arthurism said:

Hello there, I'm gonna get straight to the point here. I made a texture pack that adds a part switch that changes the cockpit, payload bay, and delta wing textures to be more inline with Columbia and Challenger's tiled design. And I'm wondering if @benjee10 would allow me to share this as a mod :).

Here's a sneak peek:

Reveal hidden contents

1.jpg

The texture pack also has Columbia's tiled delta wing texture with the black TPS at the front but I don't really have any good picture of it.

You should send it over the the SOCK Recolor mod for now

5 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Looks awesome. Have you tried generating a normal map texture for highlighting the tiles? I'm still getting the hang of editing UVs and that is next on my want-to-learn list.

Speaking of, now's probably a good time to show off something similar that I've been working on: 

A set of textures that replicates the "scorched" exteriors that the Orbiters began to display towards the end of their lives in the late 2000s. Loosely based on Discovery after returning from STS-133, her last mission.
fXcIw5G.png
CKA3lyr.png

Still polishing, then I'll probably see if can write them into the existing B9PartSwitchConfigs, or perhaps hand them off to another SOCK Recolor mod :P

Oh my god your mod looks soo cool!
And yes, I've been trying to make a normal map, but whenever I load it inside KSP it just looks like garbage.
unknown.png

Maybe I didn't export the .dds correctly? It would be great if you could help me fix this problem!
I could DM you the normal map I used for testing if you want (the one in the image).

2 hours ago, Galileo chiu said:

You should send it over the the SOCK Recolor mod for now

Good idea, if Benjee does not respond I'll probably send it to them once it's complete.

Edited by Arthurism

2 hours ago, Arthurism said:

...whenever I load it inside KSP it just looks like garbage.

If by that you mean the "seam" down the middle that's probably a result of the weird normal map system KSP uses (I'm not sure if it's a Unity thing or just KSP). Most other software uses the R, G, and B channels for the normal map, but KSP uses R, G/B and A for some reason. (I say G/B because usually these are identical and I cannot remember which is used.) When viewed in an editor such as Photoshop your normal map should be mostly a sort of pink colour rather than the blue you'd normally get.

59 minutes ago, Alphathon said:

If by that you mean the "seam" down the middle that's probably a result of the weird normal map system KSP uses (I'm not sure if it's a Unity thing or just KSP). Most other software uses the R, G, and B channels for the normal map, but KSP uses R, G/B and A for some reason. (I say G/B because usually these are identical and I cannot remember which is used.) When viewed in an editor such as Photoshop your normal map should be mostly a sort of pink colour rather than the blue you'd normally get.

unknown.png

yea the one I used has a pink color

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen other people say "use DXT5 for colormaps and DXT5_nm for normal maps" my problem could be that I'm not using the correct compression type. But I don't know how to change the compression type in the .dds exporter that I use (which is the Nvidia Texture Exporter photoshop plugin).

Edited by Arthurism

41 minutes ago, Arthurism said:

I don't know how to change the compression type in the .dds exporter that I use (which is the Nvidia Texture Exporter photoshop plugin).

You can set the compression type in the dropdown to the left of the save button in the dds exporter.

2 minutes ago, Arthurism said:

Where?

Oh, that's a totally different nVidia exporter than I've used. (Looks like they released it around 2020 and I didn't hear about it.) From what I can tell the compression settings should be the format dropdown in the top left. For whatever reason it seems that they changed the names of all the compression options with the new exporter, so DXT5 is now BC3; I would guess that DXT5_nm is the BC3n shown in the screenshot. As far as I can tell benjee10's textures are saved using normal DXT5 so it might be worth trying plain BC3 (that might be what the model is expecting, and if given BC3n the channels will all be wrong unless it knows how to handle it on-the-fly).