[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

I have a question. I’ve been wondering why this incredible mod (and ReDirect) aren’t on CKAN. I’ve tried installing both SOCK and ReDirect manually and removing duplicate mods like Waterfall and Module Manager, but it just doesn’t work. I’ve gotten one part from ReDirect and it’s the KS25B. Anyway, thanks for making such an awesome mod :)

Hi @benjee10, we have recently had two requests to add mods to CKAN that supplement SOCK. Would it be OK with you if we also added SOCK to CKAN to facilitate these? I know you said a year ago that you were planning your own CKAN integration, so if you'd like some help working out any complications, please let us know and we'd be happy to help.

Edited by HebaruSan

7 hours ago, PokeWasTaken said:

tweakscale

Unfortunately, tweakscale is a mod that is classified in the category of "evil witchcraft" and cannot be used by KSP players with a good standing in the eyes of G-d.

9 hours ago, Tangle said:

Unfortunately, tweakscale is a mod that is classified in the category of "evil witchcraft" and cannot be used by KSP players with a good standing in the eyes of G-d.

rescale the parts in the .cfg, its literally a truss/decoupler/whatever its notta fuel tank

16 hours ago, msp307 said:

Hi I'm trying to fly my space shuttle in RSS/RO with FAR can anyone help me?

1 hour ago, slaintemaith said:

This shuttle won't play well with FAR; FAR doesn't like wings that are node-attached.

Realism Overhaul does actually have SOCK configs, and you can manually define the wing parameters to get around the issue with node-attached wings. The rudder is not configurable with FAR because it cannot handle multiple control surfaces in a single part. All that being said, I've never flown it in RSS/RO so I can't comment on how good the configs actually are. The Space Shuttle System Expanded mod is supposed to be a lot better for RSS/RO.

4 hours ago, Razgriz1 said:

Realism Overhaul does actually have SOCK configs, and you can manually define the wing parameters to get around the issue with node-attached wings. The rudder is not configurable with FAR because it cannot handle multiple control surfaces in a single part. All that being said, I've never flown it in RSS/RO so I can't comment on how good the configs actually are. The Space Shuttle System Expanded mod is supposed to be a lot better for RSS/RO.

ok thanks for that
Are all parameters of the SOCK configs adapted to the rescaleFactor or can I take any value from the rescaleFactor?

22 hours ago, Razgriz1 said:

Dumb question: Would it be possible to simply split the current tail part into the vertical stabilizer and individual split rudders?

On 7/16/2022 at 10:49 PM, HebaruSan said:

Hi @benjee10, we have recently had two requests to add mods to CKAN that supplement SOCK. Would it be OK with you if we also added SOCK to CKAN to facilitate these? I know you said a year ago that you were planning your own CKAN integration, so if you'd like some help working out any complications, please let us know and we'd be happy to help.

Hmm, yes, that year flew by quickly...

Go for it. Lots of people seem keen on getting this on CKAN. Is there anything I need to do here?

2 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

Dumb question: Would it be possible to simply split the current tail part into the vertical stabilizer and individual split rudders?

If this would be useful I could add .mu files of the stabiliser and rudders in the next update. I don't have any knowledge of RO/RSS configs myself, but perhaps these could be made use of in a patch/config. 

18 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Go for it. Lots of people seem keen on getting this on CKAN. Is there anything I need to do here?

If this would be useful I could add .mu files of the stabiliser and rudders in the next update. I don't have any knowledge of RO/RSS configs myself, but perhaps these could be made use of in a patch/config. 

I believe it would. It would allow mods like ACES to automate disabling/enabling of both rudders and also allow configs to be made for the Shuttle to behave better with FAR.

26 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

The split rudder is the primary thing that makes this not play nicely with FAR. If that was split into 3 parts (vertical stabilizer and two rudders) then it should be possible to get it working with FAR just in general.

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

Go for it. Lots of people seem keen on getting this on CKAN.

Great! It should be on there now. If anybody notices any problems with installing this mod via CKAN, please report them on the CKAN thread or the CKAN Discord.

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

Is there anything I need to do here?

I've also seen requests for reDIRECT to be added to CKAN. Mind if we do that as well?

Edited by HebaruSan

On 7/18/2022 at 12:47 PM, Razgriz1 said:

I suppose my evidence for the SOCK not playing well with FAR is anecdotal.  The last time I tried using RSS/RO configs for the SOCK, reentry was every bit as controllable as it was without them.  (And by 'controllable,' I mean the opposite of that)
So I did what any other sane person would do:
Give up and use the shuttle mod that I know works.

If anyone has any procedures for the SOCK to get it to ground predictably and reliably while using RSS/RO, I'm all ears.  What's happened to me so far is Deorbit, Hold pitch to 40ish degrees, Bank to correct, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, regain control at about 1000m, but by then it's too late because you're already hundreds of miles short of where you were trying to be, so you ditch in the ocean.

Edited by slaintemaith

14 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

I suppose my evidence for the SOCK not playing well with FAR is anecdotal.  The last time I tried using RSS/RO configs for the SOCK, reentry was every bit as controllable as it was without them.  (And by 'controllable,' I mean the opposite of that)
So I did what any other sane person would do:
Give up and use the shuttle mod that I know works.

If anyone has any procedures for the SOCK to get it to ground predictably and reliably, I'm all ears.  What's happened to me so far is Deorbit, Hold pitch to 40ish degrees, Bank to correct, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, tumble out of control, regain control at about 1000m, but by then it's too late because you're already hundreds of miles short of where you were trying to be, so you ditch in the ocean.

That is almost exactly my experience with SOCK, JNSQ, Realistic Atmosphere and FAR.

On 7/19/2022 at 11:05 AM, benjee10 said:

That would be so good for FAR, while the mod isnt made for it with some .cfg changing you can get it to fly smoothly, except for the split rudder

It appears that random parts in benjee10_sharedAssets glitch out the game when you try to attach them to your craft. You can't change scene, open PAWs, launch, load a vehicle, or interact with your craft in the VAB at all. I checked the Github issues page and this wasn't reported. Is there a bandaid fix to this, or is it not compatible with 1.12.3?

5 hours ago, Socowez said:

It appears that random parts in benjee10_sharedAssets glitch out the game when you try to attach them to your craft. You can't change scene, open PAWs, launch, load a vehicle, or interact with your craft in the VAB at all. I checked the Github issues page and this wasn't reported. Is there a bandaid fix to this, or is it not compatible with 1.12.3?

Everything is fine to me