[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

On 12/2/2022 at 5:50 PM, Ry01tank said:

Any chance for more names for the shuttles, like

Freedom, Eagle, Falcon, Maple Leaf, Vanguard, Grissom, Intrepid

sorry if I'm out of line on this forum, I literally made my account like 5 minutes before this post

It's possible to just turn off the name on the relevant parts and use a conformal decal to make your own. In my opinion it even looks a little better.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 8:47 PM, Richmountain112 said:

Does this work with Outer Planets mod? 

As in, does it explode when you enter Kerbin's atmosphere all the way from Sarnus or Neidon.

The IRL shuttle isn't designed to be used for anything other than low earth orbit, and this one is modeled fairly realistically. It does not contain any ablator. I doubt this shuttle can survive any interplanetary reentry speeds, though I will caveat that I have never personally tried.

On 12/28/2022 at 1:40 AM, Richmountain112 said:

Also, this mod is definitely NOT stockalike to me.

And in comparison to stock parts, this can withstand more heat.

Generally most mods are configured for 2.5x scale systems, not stockalike, and this isn't an exception. You should try it with JNSQ.

20 minutes ago, Richmountain112 said:

I already have OPM and the SRBs and ET are very OP on a 1x scale. The boosters alone reached an apoapis of 80km before being jettisoned 

This mod, BDB, Tantares, ACK, SEP,  etc, etc, etc, are all tuned to work best on 2.5x or 2.7x scaled systems. Most parts mods that are intended to emulate real-life engines will be tuned for 2.5x systems such as JNSQ or KSRSS. 

Just made an account to post here (Happy new year to you all, by the way)! I'm having some trouble regarding the reDIRECT mod and this mod (Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit, of course). I found this mod on CKAN and used it to download the Shuttle Mod, but I'm seeing that the STS should be built with the fuel tanks from reDIRECT.
The only version of reDIRECT I can find is on SpaceDock and operates on the 1.8.1 version of KSP,  but the only version I can currently find of the Shuttle Orbiter Construction Mod operates off of 1.11 and up, whether or not its from SpaceDock or CKAN.
Any ideas?

Edited by UnsupportedEncoding

55 minutes ago, UnsupportedEncoding said:

Just made an account to post here (Happy new year to you all, by the way)! I'm having some trouble regarding the reDIRECT mod and this mod (Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit, of course). I found this mod on CKAN and used it to download the Shuttle Mod, but I'm seeing that the STS should be built with the fuel tanks from reDIRECT.
The only version of reDIRECT I can find is on SpaceDock and operates on the 1.8.1 version of KSP,  but the only version I can currently find of the Shuttle Orbiter Construction Mod operates off of 1.11 and up, whether or not its from SpaceDock or CKAN.
Any ideas?

The version of reDIRECT marked for KSP 1.8.1 works on the current version of KSP (1.12.4) with no issues. 

44 minutes ago, UnsupportedEncoding said:

Oh, cool. Thanks!

No problem. FYI, many old mods that only add parts work just fine in the current version of KSP. Since you use CKAN, I recommend checking out forum threads for any mod you are interested in to see if others are using it recently with no issues. CKAN should have a homepage link for most mods, which is normally a forum thread here. Happy modding!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 7:59 AM, Bol0 said:

Hullo, I recently returned to KSP and immediately jumped into this absolutely amazing mod.

I'm currently on 2.5 scale kerbin system and using mechjeb since my piloting skills aren't very good.

All seems perfectly nominal during the approach and I can reach pretty much any orbit I desire.

However, I have a little issue with switching to control point -15 just after SRB jettison - as per manual. Mechjeb is commanding immense lateral and horizontal corrections which cause serious instability. Without swithing the control point I can reach the orbit just fine. I am just curious if I am making some mistake in my mechjeb PVG setup or maybe something else is causing this?

Have any of you guys ever experienced this?

Are you flying manually using mechjebs sas or using autopilot? If you're flying manually atmosphere autopilot. Forget about the -15 control point and eyeball it. Just use the the bottom part of the V of the level indicator. When you do the roll the shuttle will keep its angle of attack and orientation even if it looks off. Ive never used the -15 control point. Its confusing imo. I also have the shuttles Gimbal disabled for the first minute or so. In real life the SRBs did the roll program if I am not mistaken and it flys better. 

On 9/27/2022 at 10:57 PM, Blufor878 said:

I will have to keep that in mind.

Edit: It definitely helps! I’m still awful at it, but it works!

Please forgive my late entry into this discussion; just yesterday I finally decided to jump into the brave new world of KSP shuttle operations, and not without a great deal of trepidation. Anyway, as I understand it, the shuttle rolled to a heads down attitude right after launch in order to enable the SRBs to separate cleanly. Apparently simulations showed that separating the SRBs  in a heads ups attitude tended to have them impact the wings due to aerodynamic forces, even with the separation rockets. Thus, the roll to heads down. Therefore, without the SRBs there is no need to roll, and you eliminate one potential failure mode. Indeed, late in the ride uphill the shuttle/ET stack would roll back to a heads up attitude so that the S-band antennas could communicate with TDRS. By the time of ET sep there was little or no aerodynamic forces left so separating the ET in heads up was not a problem. 

Edit: Please disregard all of this. I was badly misinformed and I will correct this with a later post.

Edited by DaveyJ576
Correction

20 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

So Benjee, am I to assume when you get to updating SOCK, the shuttle size will be increasing?   Cause the engines from Artemis are bigger now.

HejcRoq.png

The Artemis engines are from RMM which were previously slightly oversized. The latest RMM update scaled them down and they should now fit perfectly, but Artemis hasn’t been updated yet, and SOCK will need a minor update to adjust the node positions. 

SOCK is only very marginally off scale, and that is just to match 2.5m station parts and 5m external tank, which are both slightly underscaled relative to what they should be in order to conform to KSP standard sizes.

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

The Artemis engines are from RMM which were previously slightly oversized. The latest RMM update scaled them down and they should now fit perfectly, but Artemis hasn’t been updated yet, and SOCK will need a minor update to adjust the node positions. 

SOCK is only very marginally off scale, and that is just to match 2.5m station parts and 5m external tank, which are both slightly underscaled relative to what they should be in order to conform to KSP standard sizes.

The ISS parts should probably be 3.125m instead of 2.5m. 

Or you could do custom sizes like BDB. A 2.8m scale diameter with 1.25m bulkheads might work perfectly. 

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

The ISS parts should probably be 3.125m instead of 2.5m. 

Or you could do custom sizes like BDB. A 2.8m scale diameter with 1.25m bulkheads might work perfectly. 

ISS modules are 4.2m in diameter which comes to 2.625m in KSP scale, so 3.125m would be much too large and 2.5m is closer than 2.8m. A custom size for a 0.125m difference would seem overkill.

8 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

ISS modules are 4.2m in diameter which comes to 2.625m in KSP scale, so 3.125m would be much too large and 2.5m is closer than 2.8m. A custom size for a 0.125m difference would seem overkill.

Ah, I used the wrong measurements. Unity is described as 4.57m in diameter. I guess they take into account all the tid bits hanging off it. 

17 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Ah, I used the wrong measurements. Unity is described as 4.57m in diameter. I guess they take into account all the tid bits hanging off it. 

Hmm looking at it the diameter varies between modules. Destiny is listed as 4.2m but some of the others are 4.4m and others 4.57m as you say. Either way I don’t intend to rescale any of the HabTech modules at this stage, and representing their actual scales would result in them not fitting together properly.