Jump to content

[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8


benjee10
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

If you're using the stock/restock SSMEs purely on a cool plume basis, I posted a waterfall config a few pages back.

Just stick this in a new .cfg file anywhere in GameData.

Final question.

How would one put this patch into their GameData folder (I don't really know how to manipulate and create files so all this stuff is kind of new to me).

Once again thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Final question.

How would one put this patch into their GameData folder (I don't really know how to manipulate and create files so all this stuff is kind of new to me).

Once again thanks.

Just create a text file using something like Notepad on PC or TextEdit on Mac, paste the contents of the config KeaKaka posted, and then save it literally anywhere in your GameData folder or any folder inside there. You can name the file whatever you want, but make sure that it has an extension of  .cfg  as that is how Module Manager recognizes it as a valid file. So for example, the file could be saved as SOCK_Waterfall.cfg

Be careful, as some text editors will still try and append the .txt extension after anything you type for a file name. If that happens, you can just manually go in and rename to file to remove the .txt extension.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Razgriz1 said:

Just create a text file using something like Notepad on PC or TextEdit on Mac, paste the contents of the config KeaKaka posted, and then save it literally anywhere in your GameData folder or any folder inside there. You can name the file whatever you want, but make sure that it has an extension of  .cfg  as that is how Module Manager recognizes it as a valid file. So for example, the file could be saved as SOCK_Waterfall.cfg

Be careful, as some text editors will still try and append the .txt extension after anything you type for a file name. If that happens, you can just manually go in and rename to file to remove the .txt extension.

Alright,

So I turned the code that I was given into a config file. I'm not sure if I've done something wrong but when I went back into the game the plume effects of the engines stayed the same from what I could tell. 

Is there something I might have done wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/CxWlci7

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

Alright,

So I turned the code that I was given into a config file. I'm not sure if I've done something wrong but when I went back into the game the plume effects of the engines stayed the same from what I could tell. 

Is there something I might have done wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/CxWlci7

Do you see just the realplume plume or both the realplume and waterfall plumes?

If you see both, delete the file named DIRECT_SSME_B.cfg in the location GameData/RealPlume-Stock/reDirect/

If you don't see the waterfall plume at all or you have tried the fix above and it still doesn't work, I don't know how to help.

Edited by KeaKaka
Troubleshooting
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

Do you see just the realplume plume or both the realplume and waterfall plumes?

If you see both, delete the file named DIRECT_SSME_B.cfg in the location GameData/RealPlume-Stock/reDirect/

If you don't see the waterfall plume at all or you have tried the fix above and it still doesn't work, I don't know how to help.

@KeaKaka your config includes !ReStock presumably because you copied it from Stock Waterfall Effects? Since @MikeD has ReStock installed this causes this specific cfg to not run. As Benjee copies the Vector model before it is modified by ReStock, this is unnecessary in this particular case. MikeD, you can just remove &!ReStock from the first line of the config inside the brackets so it's just NEEDS[Waterfall] and that shouldTM help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, LMRaptor said:

Am I missing something here? I don't see any options for Columbia's black wing chines or vertical stabilizer tiles and SILTS pod. 

Black wing chines are an optional extra that you have to install manually. Instructions in the extras folder.

SILTS pod etc are a 3rd party modification. Link to it is in the OP

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@benjee10 In your opinion, if the shuttle were to be de-tiled and launched into orbit (like a few different timelines on Alternate History), would all of the tiled locations be covered in thermal cloth like the top of the nose and the OMS pods or would some be clothed and some would be smooth white metal like the tops of the orbiter wings and the upper half of the payload bay?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Daelkyr said:

@benjee10 In your opinion, if the shuttle were to be de-tiled and launched into orbit (like a few different timelines on Alternate History), would all of the tiled locations be covered in thermal cloth like the top of the nose and the OMS pods or would some be clothed and some would be smooth white metal like the tops of the orbiter wings and the upper half of the payload bay?

I know I'm not Benjee, but I know the thermal cloth was originally meant to replace thermal tiles and lower the weight of the orbiter, but they were still for thermal reasons (re-entry) and probably would not be needed on a shuttle not designed to return to earth. Thermal dissipation in space was accomplished by the payload bay radiators which would definitely remain.

Edited by KeaKaka
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, KeaKaka said:

I know I'm not Benjee, but I know the thermal cloth was originally meant to replace thermal tiles and lower the weight of the orbiter, but they were still for thermal reasons (re-entry) and probably would not be needed on a shuttle not designed to return to earth. Thermal dissipation in space was accomplished by the payload bay radiators which would definitely remain.

So I tile-less shuttle would have NO tiles or thermal blanket sqaures? That would be very interesting indeed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://imgur.com/a/OPHXekQ

Does anyone know what causes this issue with the and other switchable textures not working properly? I've seen this issue on multiple different installs and don't know what causes it. KSP 1.11.2 with the main texture related mods being textures unlimited and magpie mod (to go with BDB in having a shiny atlas and stuff). I have all the dependencies and everything. If anyone has any ideas that would be awesome as I want to use this beautiful shuttle more often but am discouraged every time I load it up and see the broken textures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Daelkyr said:

So I tile-less shuttle would have NO tiles or thermal blanket sqaures? That would be very interesting indeed.

I'm by no means an expert but this seems most likely. I don't know how much of the TPS was needed for heating on ascent, but it would make sense to remove as much as possible to maximise payload mass if the orbiter wasn't intended to return.

6 hours ago, Helicrazy14 said:

https://imgur.com/a/OPHXekQ

Does anyone know what causes this issue with the and other switchable textures not working properly? I've seen this issue on multiple different installs and don't know what causes it. KSP 1.11.2 with the main texture related mods being textures unlimited and magpie mod (to go with BDB in having a shiny atlas and stuff). I have all the dependencies and everything. If anyone has any ideas that would be awesome as I want to use this beautiful shuttle more often but am discouraged every time I load it up and see the broken textures.

Magpie will be the cause as this is the result of applying a shiny PBR shader to everything indiscriminately. Meshes with transparency need to be handled differently. So the fix is to either uninstall Magpie or create some configs of your own (none exist for SOCK as far as I'm aware and I'm not interested in supporting it). As it stands Magpie is actively making the Shuttle look worse by making the tiles and thermal blankets shiny and metallic (which they absolutely shouldn't be)...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Helicrazy14 said:

If anyone has any ideas that would be awesome as I want to use this beautiful shuttle more often but am discouraged every time I load it up and see the broken textures.

 

16 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

As it stands Magpie is actively making the Shuttle look worse by making the tiles and thermal blankets shiny and metallic (which they absolutely shouldn't be)...

If you want to keep Magpie for the shiny BDB textures but don't want it for the Shuttle, simply go into your GameData folder [GameData/MagpieMods/TU_Configs] and delete the file "SOCK.cfg"

(You could also do this with many of the other files in that folder, since not every spacecraft part should be shiny... but that is your call. You can also go into the .cfgs and manually remove parts from the list, so long as you know what the part is called)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you benjee and lemon cup for the quick reply. I kind of suspected it might be magpie, and I also didn't realize that it was possible to delete individual cfgs. I had noticed before how it did apply its pbr indiscriminately which in my opinion is kind of both good and bad, because it allows things to match, but at the same time makes everything so shiny whether it should be or not. I'm definitely going to delete the sock.cfg file, but also strongly consider just removing magpie entirely. The shiny atlas is great, but not sure if its worth it messing with everything so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, slaintemaith said:

Ah, but did you put your ISS on a 51.6 degree inclination?

You saying I’m the type of dude that makes custom decals for my Spacehab and doesn’t put my ISS on a 51.6 inclination?? :sticktongue:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, CollectingSP said:

What’s the spacehab from?

It’s a good ole kitbash of some parts, I won’t go too far into detail but I started by taking the “sunshade” from Cormorant Aeronology and flipping it upside down lol. A few custom decals and handrails later and viola, Spacehab!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...