Jump to content

[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8


benjee10
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 4/25/2022 at 7:04 PM, benjee10 said:

So to clarify you are welcome to make a part that fits with SOCK & release it however you please, so long as that part doesn't make use of models or textures from SOCK itself. So if you wanted to make your own Buran aft section that works with SOCK that is no problem.

However, you may want to hold fire:

screenshot127.png

There is still a lot to be done on Buran but I'm hoping to get back to it soon. The entire rest of the orbiter needs new textures to fit with the fully-tiled Buran look, and I need to make a new set of front landing gear & a variant of the cargo bay to fit it (Buran's landing gear are on the cargo bay rather than the nose). 

I'm wondering if people's preference would be for me to release the parts as they are finished (e.g. release just the aft section) or to wait until the whole craft is done. 

Oooh, while you're doing buran's tiled surface, can you also do Columbia and Challenger's tiled body?

unknown.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

im just putting this out there but imagine what sock could be like if it was given bdb class attention, multiple types of shuttles, North American and General Dynamics shuttle, Rockwell C-1057: aka the “Breadbox”, shuttle c, JSC Shuttle II, and starclipper, that would be sick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/20/2022 at 3:13 AM, Arthurism said:

Oooh, while you're doing buran's tiled surface, can you also do Columbia and Challenger's tiled body?

unknown.png

There should be room for a shuttle cockpit variant (possibly a more tiled one) but I can’t add more variants to the body without a lot of work and adding extra (big) texture sets. Will see how well the Buran body variant works as a stand in.

On 5/22/2022 at 6:41 PM, PokeWasTaken said:

any chance there will be parts for a Canadarm 2, I made my own with the canadarm 1 parts and they work for a bit but eventually the joints get misaligned cause of the flimsiness.

Yes I’d like to. I had started in the parts but they are not textured or implemented properly yet. As for joint misalignment, that is a stock problem with robotics unfortunately.

8 hours ago, John_silver said:

What is the graphics mod that was used in the screenshots?

There are several, namely Scatterer, PlanetShine, EVE, and probably KS3P as well (TUFX would be the better equivalent now). I don’t recall the exact visual packs I would have used and there is a little bit of post correction in Photoshop (just levels and such, nothing major).

27 minutes ago, kerbalboi said:

im just putting this out there but imagine what sock could be like if it was given bdb class attention, multiple types of shuttles, North American and General Dynamics shuttle, Rockwell C-1057: aka the “Breadbox”, shuttle c, JSC Shuttle II, and starclipper, that would be sick

I would love to. The issue is that a) I have very little free time these days and b) shuttles require a lot of work to bring up to this visual standard. They are generally large and have complex geometry that rules out texture reuse in a lot of cases. So there is a lot of finicky manual work involved. It is no exaggeration to say that the one shuttle in this mod took months of work to put together, and back then I had a lot more time on my hands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

There should be room for a shuttle cockpit variant (possibly a more tiled one) but I can’t add more variants to the body without a lot of work and adding extra (big) texture sets. Will see how well the Buran body variant works as a stand in.

Yes I’d like to. I had started in the parts but they are not textured or implemented properly yet. As for joint misalignment, that is a stock problem with robotics unfortunately.

There are several, namely Scatterer, PlanetShine, EVE, and probably KS3P as well (TUFX would be the better equivalent now). I don’t recall the exact visual packs I would have used and there is a little bit of post correction in Photoshop (just levels and such, nothing major).

I would love to. The issue is that a) I have very little free time these days and b) shuttles require a lot of work to bring up to this visual standard. They are generally large and have complex geometry that rules out texture reuse in a lot of cases. So there is a lot of finicky manual work involved. It is no exaggeration to say that the one shuttle in this mod took months of work to put together, and back then I had a lot more time on my hands.

out of curiosity why not make a GitHub project and find someone you trust with a good amount of time to help manage it. basically assemble teams for your mods... that way your not making these amazing mods all on your own. I bet there's plenty who would wanna contribute...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2022 at 12:05 PM, kerbalboi said:

im just putting this out there but imagine what sock could be like if it was given bdb class attention, multiple types of shuttles, North American and General Dynamics shuttle, Rockwell C-1057: aka the “Breadbox”, shuttle c, JSC Shuttle II, and starclipper, that would be sick

I do not regret googling "Breadbox shuttle", that is the most goddamn beautiful shuttle design, only beat by the actual shuttle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/31/2022 at 6:43 PM, PokeWasTaken said:

Btw, can the SOCK shuttle survive re entry with Deadly re entry

 

Prediction: Probably not. Haven't tried this mod myself but I took a look at its part configs and given that I know Deadly Reentry , I can say that the max temp rebalancing code will cut the skinMaxTemp value in half (from 2700 to 1350 for the fuselage and from 2400 to 1200 for the wings)

The  parts will fail outright at those temperatures but begin to burn at 1147.5 / 1020.

So it needs some patching.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/25/2022 at 12:05 PM, kerbalboi said:

im just putting this out there but imagine what sock could be like if it was given bdb class attention, multiple types of shuttles, North American and General Dynamics shuttle, Rockwell C-1057: aka the “Breadbox”, shuttle c, JSC Shuttle II, and starclipper, that would be sick

 

On 5/25/2022 at 12:43 PM, benjee10 said:

I would love to. The issue is that a) I have very little free time these days and b) shuttles require a lot of work to bring up to this visual standard. They are generally large and have complex geometry that rules out texture reuse in a lot of cases. So there is a lot of finicky manual work involved. It is no exaggeration to say that the one shuttle in this mod took months of work to put together, and back then I had a lot more time on my hands.

If I wasn't a completely helpless child when it comes to wrapping my brain around modelling software I'd have been on this myself to be frank. I've been exposed to just, soooooo many different Shuttle concepts that i'd love to see in KSP, including my favorite Block II, which at least was easy enough to kitbash at a minimum seeing as Cormorant is more or less dead. 

But I've tried and tried and it just never works out for me lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, G'th said:

 

If I wasn't a completely helpless child when it comes to wrapping my brain around modelling software I'd have been on this myself to be frank. I've been exposed to just, soooooo many different Shuttle concepts that i'd love to see in KSP, including my favorite Block II, which at least was easy enough to kitbash at a minimum seeing as Cormorant is more or less dead. 

But I've tried and tried and it just never works out for me lol. 

I just modeled a Rockwell C-1057 "Breadbox" hoping to turn it into a mod but I am completely hopeless when it comes to texturing and the actual codey  bits so it wont become a mod. But if anyone knows how to so that stuff HMU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2022 at 2:15 PM, PokeWasTaken said:

I just modeled a Rockwell C-1057 "Breadbox" hoping to turn it into a mod but I am completely hopeless when it comes to texturing and the actual codey  bits so it wont become a mod. But if anyone knows how to so that stuff HMU.

SOMEONE HELP THIS DUDE seriously tho do everything in your power to make it a mod, someone out there could help ya out aaand making it compatable with the redirect et would be sick

Edited by kerbalboi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kerbalboi said:

SOMEONE HELP THIS DUDE seriously tho do everything in your power to make it a mod, someone out there could help ya out aaand making it compatable with the redirect et would be sick

Anything is compatible if you want to waste enough of your life lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/25/2022 at 3:04 PM, benjee10 said:

So to clarify you are welcome to make a part that fits with SOCK & release it however you please, so long as that part doesn't make use of models or textures from SOCK itself. So if you wanted to make your own Buran aft section that works with SOCK that is no problem.

However, you may want to hold fire:

screenshot127.png

There is still a lot to be done on Buran but I'm hoping to get back to it soon. The entire rest of the orbiter needs new textures to fit with the fully-tiled Buran look, and I need to make a new set of front landing gear & a variant of the cargo bay to fit it (Buran's landing gear are on the cargo bay rather than the nose). 

I'm wondering if people's preference would be for me to release the parts as they are finished (e.g. release just the aft section) or to wait until the whole craft is done. 

How is the progress of creating buran? I really want to see the result! It is especially interesting how the cabin will be implemented)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/25/2022 at 8:04 AM, benjee10 said:

So to clarify you are welcome to make a part that fits with SOCK & release it however you please, so long as that part doesn't make use of models or textures from SOCK itself. So if you wanted to make your own Buran aft section that works with SOCK that is no problem.

However, you may want to hold fire:

screenshot127.png

There is still a lot to be done on Buran but I'm hoping to get back to it soon. The entire rest of the orbiter needs new textures to fit with the fully-tiled Buran look, and I need to make a new set of front landing gear & a variant of the cargo bay to fit it (Buran's landing gear are on the cargo bay rather than the nose). 

I'm wondering if people's preference would be for me to release the parts as they are finished (e.g. release just the aft section) or to wait until the whole craft is done. 

Will the Buran come with options for Ptichka and Baikal for texture switching? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/8/2022 at 5:02 PM, Jim123 said:

Will the Buran come with options for Ptichka and Baikal for texture switching? 

All Buran-class orbiters were identical to one another. I think the Buran flight article and Ptichka were unmanned test craft, and orbiters constructed after those would be man-rated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@benjee10 Where did you source your thermal blanket texture from, or did you make it yourself. I am working on the Breadbox project and we need a thermal blanket texture. I was just wondering if you could tell me where you got your thermal blanket texture from. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PokeWasTaken said:

@benjee10 Where did you source your thermal blanket texture from, or did you make it yourself. I am working on the Breadbox project and we need a thermal blanket texture. I was just wondering if you could tell me where you got your thermal blanket texture from. 

he made it himself probs it has to fit the shuttle mesh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...