Jump to content

[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8


benjee10
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Arthurism said:

Where?

Oh, that's a totally different nVidia exporter than I've used. (Looks like they released it around 2020 and I didn't hear about it.) From what I can tell the compression settings should be the format dropdown in the top left. For whatever reason it seems that they changed the names of all the compression options with the new exporter, so DXT5 is now BC3; I would guess that DXT5_nm is the BC3n shown in the screenshot. As far as I can tell benjee10's textures are saved using normal DXT5 so it might be worth trying plain BC3 (that might be what the model is expecting, and if given BC3n the channels will all be wrong unless it knows how to handle it on-the-fly).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi again, with help from @Alphathon I managed to make some normal textures for my tiled shuttle variant. But I don't know why there is still some remnants of the blankets when viewed in KSP
unknown.png

Even though there is no such thing on my normal map texture

unknown.png

Maybe someone could help me with this?

Edited by Arthurism
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Arthurism said:

Hi again, with help from @Alphathon I managed to make some normal textures for my tiled shuttle variant. But I don't know why there is still some remnants of the blankets when viewed in KSP

Even though there is no such thing on my normal map texture

Maybe someone could help me with this?

Did you check the alpha channel? It isn't visible in that screenshot. Edit: looks like Doc Shaftoe beat me to it :)

While you're at it, don't forget to remove the texturing from shuttleUV1_emit

Edited by Alphathon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alphathon said:

Did you check the alpha channel? It isn't visible in that screenshot. Edit: looks like Doc Shaftoe beat me to it :)

While you're at it, don't forget to remove the texturing from shuttleUV1_emit

 

1 hour ago, Doc Shaftoe said:

You may want to double check the alpha channels for your normal and diffuse textures.

Oh wait yea it is still there in the alpha map, how do I change it?
unknown.png

Update:
Ayy it worked, tysm!

unknown.png

Edited by Arthurism
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm glad it worked out for you!

Benjee's excellent normal maps are what really gives his mods that extra visual "oomph." I'm always impressed by how well he's able to cram as much detail as possible into his mods without losing the stockalike aesthetic.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2022 at 11:21 PM, Arthurism said:

 

Oh wait yea it is still there in the alpha map, how do I change it?
unknown.png

Update:
Ayy it worked, tysm!

unknown.png

c-can i request your help for a mod im working with since you seem to be good with texturing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These new textures look fantastic. If anyone is interested, and providing they still exist, I once made configs for the different tank and SSME upgrades, including the lighter tanks and higher power engines. These could be incorporated into the SOCK recolor mod as part upgrade configs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2022 at 6:47 PM, AstroMods said:

Hello Again, I have some stuff now

Then along with that I made some extra textures for stuff such as

Originally this was a mod I made a fork of called "reCOLOR", but then I realized that the textures are based off of Benjees textures and thus requires permission to release, which I do not have. So I took it down and just am using the files for myself. But if possible I will try to get permission from @benjee10 about it, or I'll just send the files and stuff to someone who already has permission and see if they would like it and would want to release it.

 

On 6/25/2022 at 6:44 AM, Arthurism said:

Hello there, I'm gonna get straight to the point here. I made a texture pack that adds a part switch that changes the cockpit, payload bay, and delta wing textures to be more inline with Columbia and Challenger's tiled design. And I'm wondering if @benjee10 would allow me to share this as a mod :).

Here's some sneak peeks:

Challenger:

  Hide contents

 

20220623132507_1.jpg1.jpg

Columbia:

  Hide contents

20220625212225_1.jpg20220625211609_1.jpg20220625152508_1.jpg

 

On 6/26/2022 at 6:45 AM, lemon cup said:

Looks awesome. Have you tried generating a normal map texture for highlighting the tiles? I'm still getting the hang of editing UVs and that is next on my want-to-learn list.

Speaking of, now's probably a good time to show off something similar that I've been working on: 

A set of textures that replicates the "scorched" exteriors that the Orbiters began to display towards the end of their lives in the late 2000s. Loosely based on Discovery after returning from STS-133, her last mission.
fXcIw5G.png
CKA3lyr.png

Still polishing, then I'll probably see if can write them into the existing B9PartSwitchConfigs, or perhaps hand them off to another SOCK Recolor mod :P

You guys should bundle all these together and release them - they look fantastic. Lovely attention to detail and we love to see pride month shuttle. You have my permission! 

@Arthurismyou have done a great job matching the normal map. Honestly not sure how you did that without the source files! 

Down the line I would like to deprecate the built-in shuttle names/flags, and instead provide some custom conformal decals. It would make things a lot easier from my standpoint (managing all the B9 switches is a real pain, especially with the left/right switches on the wings), provide better accuracy to the real shuttle (I would have various configs set up in the provided craft files), and allow for easier customisation (remove need for editing PSDs to add new names). Some of the stuff like the warning labels would probably be useful on other craft too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

You guys should bundle all these together and release them - they look fantastic. Lovely attention to detail and we love to see pride month shuttle. You have my permission!

I can't say how grateful I am, man. Thank you so much! :)

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

@Arthurismyou have done a great job matching the normal map. Honestly not sure how you did that without the source files!

Haha! Matching the normal and diffuse map gave me a headache sometimes. But I'm glad it paid off!

Edited by Arthurism
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, benjee10 said:

You guys should bundle all these together and release them - they look fantastic. Lovely attention to detail and we love to see pride month shuttle. You have my permission! 

Thank you so much Benjee, I'm very happy to be able to release this. Expect more to come!
 

Also the idea of bundling them together into one package sounds pretty good to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Down the line I would like to deprecate the built-in shuttle names/flags, and instead provide some custom conformal decals. It would make things a lot easier from my standpoint (managing all the B9 switches is a real pain, especially with the left/right switches on the wings), provide better accuracy to the real shuttle (I would have various configs set up in the provided craft files), and allow for easier customisation (remove need for editing PSDs to add new names). Some of the stuff like the warning labels would probably be useful on other craft too.

I agree that would be cool. Personaly I've thought of just making new texture for each shuttle with flag and names apart of the texture, though that doesn't allow as much customization. Though with that it removes this little bug where the names one shuttles will "Flicker" as if it's too close to the other texture.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, AstroMods said:

Wait no Longer we have 2 new SOCK mods today. You can download reCOLOR here

this is a sock submod revolution. edit: thanks for making them in a way that didn't break my kitbashed shuttle when i added this btw!

Edited by TheLoneOne
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PokeWasTaken said:

i was excited then i realized "Oh wait i already have this" lmao

Yes but I'll add some ore stuff overtime, maybe some parts too :D

 

2 hours ago, TheLoneOne said:

this is a sock submod revolution. edit: thanks for making them in a way that didn't break my kitbashed shuttle when i added this btw!

Yes the first "Official release" of reCOLOR once had like 15 B9 errors upon startup so it's an improvement.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, lemon cup said:

We're working on getting the Scorched texture out as well, just exploring the best way to do that :)

ryMHa3y.png
7JgDwqX.png

where are the shinny habtech stuff from

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lemon cup said:

We're working on getting the Scorched texture out as well, just exploring the best way to do that :)

ryMHa3y.png
7JgDwqX.png

What if STS but rustier than Mir?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TheLoneOne said:

where are the shinny habtech stuff from

TexturesUnlimited is a mod that, among other things, allows you to write configs that changes the color and shininess of parts. 
 

It won’t do anything on it’s own without proper configs though. The mod “MagpieMods” adds some configs that will make lots of parts shiny. If anything, it is a quick way to get some examples of how to make your own! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

A scorched tiled variant would be cool, too, to simulate Columbia later in life.

I think so too, my goal is to work on something like that in the near future.

In the meantime you can now grab the Toasted Discovery/Atlantis texture in the new RePainted mod!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Hi  @benjee10 I know you said recently that you're not planning on updating ReDirect any further. What does that mean for the shuttle external tank, since it uses parts from redirect? Would you simply just updates the parts required for the Shuttle?

Edited by Elro2k
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...