[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

SOCK_banner.png

Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | V1.1.8 | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter

Cinematic trailer by @damonvv

Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit is a parts mod designed to build a Kerbalized version of the NASA Space Shuttle Orbiter. This has been something of a labour of love for me - I started work on the modelling for this almost four months ago, and it's been an almost all-consuming project ever since. Countless hours have gone into the modelling & (especially) texturing, along with hundreds of test flights tweaking the balance and aerodynamics. Well, it's finally ready to release to the world - I hope you enjoy it! 

Key features:

• Highly detailed parts replicate the Space Shuttle Orbiter in a stockalike/Restockalike style at Kerbal scale
  • Switchable Shuttle names & decals
  • Minimal part count (mirrored parts are handled through part switching)
  • 2.5m diameter payload bay
  • Fine-tuned aerodynamics ensure ease of flight while maintaining realistic mission profiles
  • Works best in 2.5X scale Kerbin, but will function just fine at stock scale
  • Canadarm ("KerboArm") utilizes Breaking Ground DLC robotics, or Infernal Robotics - Next in 1.7.2 if installed
  • Full IVA for all parts, including Mid Deck and Aft Flight Deck
  • Craft files included for Stock + Breaking Ground, as well as for reDIRECT & Infernal Robotics - Next
  • User manual included!

IMPORTANT: This mod DOES NOT include the orange External Tank or boosters  - these are from my other mod reDIRECT, which is designed to integrate with this mod but is not a dependency. It is perfectly possible to build a working launch system for this Orbiter using stock parts only!

Screenshots (feat. reDIRECT, HabTech2 & Restock parts):

screenshot66EDIT.pngscreenshot82EDIT.pngscreenshot144EDIT.pngscreenshot127EDIT.png

More screenshots:

Spoiler

screenshot34EDIT.pngscreenshot45EDIT.pngscreenshot130EDIT.png

User Screenshots!

screenshot526.pngscreenshot533.png

^ Screenshots by JayTheAmazingToaster ^

screenshot19.pngscreenshot31.png

^ Screenshots by Rocketman ^

screenshot995.pngKxyZ43l.pngscreenshot1079.pngscreenshot1037.pngscreenshot1053.png

^ Screenshots by Zorg ^

screenshot1701.png

screenshot1708.png

^ Screenshots by Invaderchaos ^

New for 1.1: TUBES!

shuttleOrbiter1-1-0.png?width=2140&heigh

Download:

SPACEDOCK
Dev versions available on GitHub

USER MANUAL

Additional texture variants by InvaderChaos!

Dependencies:

This mod has B9PartSwitch and Waterfall as dependencies, both of which are bundled with the mod. My mods Benjee10 Shared Assets and HabTech Robotics are also bundled - these contain the parts for the APAS port, OMS engines, and the Canadarm. 

Recommended mods:

Oranges and Photon Corp for updated External Tank & SRB parts in a matching art style

reDIRECT - older ET and SRB parts as featured in the screenshots in this post. 

HabTech2 and Stockalike Space Station Parts Expansion contain space station parts in a matching art style - perfect payloads for your shuttle. 

Buran Orbiter Construction Kit for a full set of Buran parts to go along with the beta versions of the cockpit & OMS pod included in the extras folder of this mod. 

Bluedog Design Bureau contains many US rocket parts, including the IUS which was used in Shuttle flights. 

Restock because seriously, if you don't have this installed, what are you doing?

Atmospheric Autopilot makes flying the shuttle down to landing a lot less stressful.

Shuttle Payload Delivery System features various parts for satellite deployment etc. 

SOCK recoloured and SOCK Repainted add alternate texture options for the orbiter, such as tiled, scorched, Enterprise and Moonraker variants.

All rights reserved.

Edited by benjee10

That looks gorgeous! 

One question though; why the mass increase for the Vector engine? Wouldn’t it be just as good to increase the mass of what they attach to instead?

I use the vector in other builds and the mass increase really wouldn’t fit well there, even if it is ‘only’ 20% :/ 

Edited by Jognt

2 minutes ago, Jognt said:

That looks gorgeous! 

One question though; why the mass increase for the Vector engine? Wouldn’t it be just as good to increase the mass of what they attach to instead?

I use the vector in other builds and the mass increase really wouldn’t fit well there, even if it is ‘only’ 20% :/ 

The mass is actually decreased from the stock value of 4.0t to a more realistic 1.2t - the stock vectors are significantly heavier than they should be and it makes balancing the CoM of the Shuttle borderline impossible if you don't make every other part much heavier. If you'd prefer to keep the stock values you can remove the GameData/Benjee10_shuttleOrbiter/Patches/ folder, but it will likely make the shuttle unflyable. 

1 minute ago, benjee10 said:

The mass is actually decreased from the stock value of 4.0t to a more realistic 1.2t - the stock vectors are significantly heavier than they should be and it makes balancing the CoM of the Shuttle borderline impossible if you don't make every other part much heavier. If you'd prefer to keep the stock values you can remove the GameData/Benjee10_shuttleOrbiter/Patches/ folder, but it will likely make the shuttle unflyable. 

My bad! I thought it said *= 1.2! That’ll teach me to skim through github on a tiny mobile screen. :D 

In that case: my other crafts will appreciate it ;) 

reDIRECT contains the External Tank & Boosters used in these screenshots, and is the recommended mod for building a complete shuttle stack for 2.5X scale solar systems.

does the mod come with an external tank and boosters for regular sized kerbal solar system, or does it just use stock tanks and SRBs for that, or is this other mod still needed/recommended?

15 minutes ago, vardicd said:

reDIRECT contains the External Tank & Boosters used in these screenshots, and is the recommended mod for building a complete shuttle stack for 2.5X scale solar systems.

does the mod come with an external tank and boosters for regular sized kerbal solar system, or does it just use stock tanks and SRBs for that, or is this other mod still needed/recommended?

IMPORTANT: This mod DOES NOT include the orange External Tank or boosters  - these are from my other mod reDIRECT, which is designed to integrate with this mod but is not a dependency. It is perfectly possible to build a working launch system for this Orbiter using stock parts only!

11 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Uh, also what is PlumeParty I can't seem to find it independently, so i'm not sure what it does?

It makes pretty plumes for the rocket engines.

Been watching this develop the whole way - congratulations on the release!

I believe I said I'd do something awful with a nuclear reactor in the bay when you finished it so I'd better get on that. 

Re: PlumeParty: The Github for PlumeParty has the following bits that concern me:

1. This pack is currently not to be treated as a dependency [...]
  2. Plume Party is mutually exclusive with ReStock.

Especially the 2nd one :/ does this mean it just won't work? Or it'll break stuff when used together? I'm guessing the 1st bit is just a matter of "Whoops, forgot to update the readme"?

First of all...bravo! This is an extraordinary mod and deserves all of the likes and downloads. Frankly all of your released mods are extraordinary. Once again Bravo.

No on to my problems because maybe its just me. Is anyone else having a problem translating up and down? I thought it was just me but even mechjeb cant translate the shuttle during docking up and down.  When I switch the control point back tot he cockpit i can translate up and down but for some reason when I select the docking port it doesnt translate well at all. I cant'' translate up or down or forward and back. It seems to only translate side to side. Is this just me? I hope this si just a me problem and i just have to press an action group or something. 

Once again and for the last time bravo well done.

35 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

First of all...bravo! This is an extraordinary mod and deserves all of the likes and downloads. Frankly all of your released mods are extraordinary. Once again Bravo.

No on to my problems because maybe its just me. Is anyone else having a problem translating up and down? I thought it was just me but even mechjeb cant translate the shuttle during docking up and down.  When I switch the control point back tot he cockpit i can translate up and down but for some reason when I select the docking port it doesnt translate well at all. I cant'' translate up or down or forward and back. It seems to only translate side to side. Is this just me? I hope this si just a me problem and i just have to press an action group or something. 

Once again and for the last time bravo well done.

You should have a read through the manual because

a) its very helpful and has descriptions of the intended docking procedure

b) it looks awesome and is made in the style of an old scanned Nasa document :D

Anyway this behavior is by design and you are meant to control from the cockpit. However if you really want to control from the upwards facing docking port, you can right click the nose and the tail section, click the actuation toggle buttons (I think there are 3 or 4 on each) and activate the disabled directions you desire. I dont remember which ones you need exactly but you can experiment by firing in different directions until you see it respond. Once you know which ones you can set them up to toggle in action groups later.

Keep in mind that unlike the tail section, the shuttle nose doesnt have downward firing thrusters (forward when control from docking port). But the SAS can usually balance this out if you press caps lock for fine control mode.

Good luck!

Absolutely stunning work, @benjee10!!! Any plans to add texture variants or decal setups for things like the flag at the back of the payload bay, the worm logo on the payload bay doors, or the black areas on the wings near the elevons that only Challenger had? I know those are rather niche requests, but since you're going for the "kerbalized-realistic" look/feel, those would be cool to have. I'm enjoying this mod so far. I'm still working on getting into orbit, and MechJeb's PVG is definitely not behaving well for me.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a1/Shuttle_profiles.jpg

4 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Looks amazing thanks for the hard work putting this together .

One Quick question ? the launch facility on the Pad , where how and what mod it that please ?

Yes, the shuttle Mobile Launch Platform, FSS and RSS are in my WIP v2 dev build of Modular Launch Pads, on the Github.

One big note:  It was designed and sized for the Cormorant Aeronology shuttle stack, as SOCK wasn't even a rumor at the time. Getting the whole pad to work with SOCK requires a lot of offset gizmo adjustment, and even then it won't look exactly right, i.e. like it does with the Cormorant shuttle. In a future v2 update, I will add some adjustment options to accomodate SOCK.

Edited by AlphaMensae