[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

4 hours ago, Yurikus said:

IR arm does not work. At the start, it falls into the texture. Does not connect to the dock port. Hook is not possible. Is there any instructions for use.
Version 1.8.1 with additions.

You need the KSP-AddOn "Braking Ground" for Robotic-Parts or the Mod Infernal Robotics.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, dave1904 said:

is that not what monopropelant in KSP is? hypergolic fuel? It just seems a bit odd to have the OMS and RCS run of different fuels. 

I don't really know, using LFO for the OMS would be more accurate because it uses a liquid bipropellant, even in Making History the Apollo SPS uses LFO. I never really thought about it much.

3 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

I don't really know, using LFO for the OMS would be more accurate because it uses a liquid bipropellant, even in Making History the Apollo SPS uses LFO. I never really thought about it much.

I guess it is more consistent with the stock game. The only thing actually missing is columbias rudder sensor but otherwise it is a 10/10 mod. Steering is missing on the nose gear. Is that a design choice?

On 2/8/2020 at 9:41 PM, dave1904 said:

I think atmospheric autopilot should be a recommend mod too(Its just great for any plane to be honest)

Why do the OMS do not use monopropellant? Otherwise I am loving it :)) 

16 hours ago, dave1904 said:

I guess it is more consistent with the stock game. The only thing actually missing is columbias rudder sensor but otherwise it is a 10/10 mod. Steering is missing on the nose gear. Is that a design choice?

I'll add atmospheric autopilot to the OP, definitely something I always play with.

OMS using LF/O is indeed to keep consistency with the stock game, I'm always a little weirded out by 'Monopropellant' as what's it's representing isn't truly a monopropellant at all! I guess really the RCS should also use LF/O for RL consistency but that gets a little unintuitive, I think most player consider Monoprop to be RCS fuel and LF/O to be standard rocket fuel.

Nose gear steering is a design choice in as much as I was getting really fed up with rigging wheels at that time and the addition of steering seemed like quite a lot of effort to go to for something which has fairly minimal use in-game. I'm intending to add it at some point, probably in the next update depending on how challenging it winds up being to implement. 

21 hours ago, NewRetroMan said:

Ah, I meant the solution to the connection problem. It just doesn’t want join to connector.

6 hours ago, Yurikus said:

I have not decided. I do not use a robotic arm yet.

The connector must be rotated 360 degrees to connect.

The end effector is indeed only supposed to line up one way, with the gold box lined up with the target marker on the grapple fixture. 

It seems however that a lot of people are having trouble with this even when lined up correctly and it perhaps makes the already challenging act of using a robot arm in KSP even more frustrating, so I might remove the angle limit and make it an optional patch. 

As a general note on arm stability, you want to autostrut the end effector to root part and ALSO lock all the joints in the arm. Autostrut won't run across joints unless they are locked. I like to assign the lock/unlock function to action groups. I've found that it's best to apply 'lock' to one group and 'unlock' to another as sometimes not all joints will lock if the arm is still slightly moving, so you can end up with the joints getting desynchronised if you just use a toggle action group. 

As another note, the included reDIRECT craft file will require a little modification due to the new reDIRECT update. The nosecones have been rotated in the model so will be off-angle. This will just require a little rotation in the editor prior to launch to avoid some post-SRB sep shenanigans...

6 hours ago, vardicd said:

@benjee10 or anyone else who might know, If I understand what i'm seeing in the download files, it looks like this plumeparty makes some changes to engines/effects, If i'm also using realplume-stock am i going to have a conflict between the mods? 

No conflict at all between Plume Party and Real Plume. Is a different mod than real plume. Plume Party installs some little parts which are meant to be placed hidden inside your craft (engines, tanks, wing tips), then activate them with some action key or staged (work like engines), to get particle effects in your tanks or engines, like vapor, cool, fuel leaks, etc. 

Well, that is just for the mod part provided by @benjee10 only, not for the full mod.

Edited by marioq70

Just now, marioq70 said:

No conflict at all between Plume Party and Real Plume. Is a different mod than real plume. Plume Party installs some little parts which are meant to be placed hidden inside your craft (engines, tanks, wing tips), then activate them with some action key or staged (work like engines), to get particle effects in your tanks or engines, like vapor, cool, fuel leaks, etc. 

Cool thanks for the reply.

15 hours ago, vardicd said:

@benjee10 or anyone else who might know, If I understand what i'm seeing in the download files, it looks like this plumeparty makes some changes to engines/effects, If i'm also using realplume-stock am i going to have a conflict between the mods? 

8 hours ago, marioq70 said:

Well, that is just for the mod part provided by @benjee10 only, not for the full mod.

In this mod Plume Party provides the FX for the RCS plumes - Plume Party's main purpose is to provide FX configs for rocket engines etc. In that sense there may well be conflicts between it and RealPlume, though as far as I know the bundled version of Plume Party shouldn't be affecting anything but the Shuttle's RCS FX. It's not something I've tested. I think the version included is now quite outdated so I'll be reviewing that for the next update. 

On 2/10/2020 at 12:48 PM, benjee10 said:

Nose gear steering is a design choice in as much as I was getting really fed up with rigging wheels at that time and the addition of steering seemed like quite a lot of effort to go to for something which has fairly minimal use in-game. I'm intending to add it at some point, probably in the next update depending on how challenging it winds up being to implement. 

I have done 30-40 landings atleast with the shuttle so far and never needed the steering. I do not think you should waste time on it since its works perfectly as it is. Sorry for long response but I like to get a good feeling of things before I give feedback.

Landing can be a bit to hard however. I have changed a few things in cfgs to make it a bit easier. I believe is the best overall way to have very high stability and good landing even with payload inside the payload bay. I know its a shuttle and it flys like a brick. Maybe I went to far but personally I like returning things with shuttles too. 

My cfg. I gave the Forward fusalage a buff in lift to 2.1 and increased the dry mass of aft to 3.0 tons. For testing I enter eve and have no problem keeping a 30 degree angle of attack. 

1s8jqIo.png

Original cfgs

qZweDQD.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lk00david said:

good morning/afternoon/evening everybody,

Made this patch a while back and it should work fine for my fellow Realism Overhaul players. @benjee10can feel free to use this however they want, I thought I'd just put it here for now.

Can you submit it as a PR to RO official? If you don't want to or want to learn how, I can.

Edited by nepphhh