[1.12.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit | Stockalike Space Shuttle Orbiter! | (Tubes!) | v1.1.8

benjee10

Hi all. I have two problems that I do not know if they have been discussed in this thread:

- 1). On takeoff, my Kerboarm gets out of the OV: Do you have a solution?

3F66F372DA16C20C68DC0E60820B732629DA2F58

- 2). The shuttle, on certain occasions, does not seem to respond to my orders, and neither does Mechjeb.

- 3). Can someone offer me a quick tutorial on re-entry and landing at KSC?

Thanks

37 minutes ago, Cienty86 said:

Hi all. I have two problems that I do not know if they have been discussed in this thread:

- 1). On takeoff, my Kerboarm gets out of the OV: Do you have a solution?

- 2). The shuttle, on certain occasions, does not seem to respond to my orders, and neither does Mechjeb.

- 3). Can someone offer me a quick tutorial on re-entry and landing at KSC?

Thanks

1 has been asked a lot. Make sure all the robotic joints in the arm are locked at launch and set an autostrut on one of the arm parts (end effector works best), and/or turn on same vessel interaction.

Can you elaborate on 2? Don’t think anyone else has reported this.

The manual goes into some detail about reentry and landing but it varies depending on what scale you are playing at. Part of it will be trial and error. Atmospheric Autopilot makes the landing itself a lot smoother.

#1 went away for me when I switched over to Infernal Robotics which has a much nicer interface to use. You don't have to make an IR arm, just use the alternate model with IR "enabled".

#2 could be that MJ is already trying to do something or that the engines on a different stage are currently disabled.

#3 AAP really is a life saver.

@Cienty86 I am currently doing incredible amounts of trial and error for reentry and landing. My suggestion would be to make an install of KSP with only the mods you need to test your shuttle, and use that for testing. I play with JNSQ, FAR, RealHeat, Deadly Reentry (with maxtemp multiplier set to 1), and Realistic Atmospheres, along with various visual mods, so there's lots of trial and error involved. To make life easier, I have MJ, Trajectories, AAP, Dynamic Controls, and SmartParts (for automating things like enabling/disabling RCS when I pass a certain altitude and dropping the gear when I hit 100m AGL. Right now I'm working on making sure I can reenter and land safely (not necessarily on the runway), then I'll figure out where to place the impact cross from Trajectories so I end up over the space center at the right speed and altitude. With my setup, if I don't do S-turns, I will skip off the atmosphere. The shuttle really does have some good cross range capability, and managing your AoA and doing S-turns are essential.

Hi all.

I will be very brief: this mod has far exceeded my expectations, especially visually: it is practically real.

The problems I had with the Kerboarm and the RCS control in orbit have been solved (I deleted AAP for not knowing how to use it yet and installed Infernal Robotics).

Only a good re-entry left and a smooth landing at KSC (I'll keep trying ...)

I leave you some images to enjoy the landscape.

A greeting.

E2759607422492CCC69EBA1444347A74FC9550F93C8ED5B42099320EE0D921CB6D29A6F3EE48E7657D40CE6D34246558A865EBB74B6475D471E1DA763CB62CC40065FA694682F1C2CF83DD19DCA56CB1DBF07D9FA30D82915CFE4F16780917E5D213186361B698401FA44695AB4B5E29D482B8043B261A4813966F796B6BC29A4782C34BADD0AE5396A16AEE3D809063F9379726D73370A2099107A7358FE305

Edited by Cienty86

Jeb stops by for some freeze-dried Pelmeni...

Try as I did, I was just never able to get the MIR components into orbit with Kopernicus/JNSQ so hyper edit to the rescue.  I did take the docking module up and put on the finishing touches legit using the arm.  I am still suffering the after effects of motion sickness that the oscillations induced... but I did it.  The module rode up to orbit with me, I FINALLY figured out how to latch something with the arm and installed it on the shuttles APAS system and then maneuvered the whole shebang and docked with MIR.

b5ZTD6h.png

Edited by LawnDartLeo

8 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

The SRBs have a node inside to snap to the decouplers.

That node can be notoriously tricky. Get rid of the booster you are placing, change your view to more from the belly side or door side, grab a new booster and it should click.

Edited by LawnDartLeo

2 minutes ago, LawnDartLeo said:

That node can be notoriously tricky. Get rid of the booster you are placing, change your view to more from the belly side or door side, great a new booster and it should click.

No, it`s quite easy and snaps direcly.

59 minutes ago, LawnDartLeo said:

That node can be notoriously tricky. Get rid of the booster you are placing, change your view to more from the belly side or door side, great a new booster and it should click.

Hold alt while placing to disable surface attach and it’s pretty easy.

Oooo... never heard of that one.

I find that i the VAB I get in a camera spot that makes attaching things very difficult.  Just dropping that item and starting over seem to do the trick.  I shall try this solution, though.

Thanks!

On 7/23/2020 at 8:40 PM, Cienty86 said:

Hi all.

I will be very brief: this mod has far exceeded my expectations, especially visually: it is practically real.

The problems I had with the Kerboarm and the RCS control in orbit have been solved (I deleted AAP for not knowing how to use it yet and installed Infernal Robotics).

Only a good re-entry left and a smooth landing at KSC (I'll keep trying ...)

I leave you some images to enjoy the landscape.

A greeting.

Great screenshots. Love the use of (I assume) conformal decals to add stuff like the rescue sign!

7 minutes ago, YourAgony said:

Hi, is it possible that you make the Mod working on KSP 1.4.5 :)

Some of the Parts are not shown in 1.4.5 :(

I'm afraid I have no plans to support KSP versions prior to 1.8.

7 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Great screenshots. Love the use of (I assume) conformal decals to add stuff like the rescue sign!

Exactly!!  Conformal decals gives it a touch more of realism.

I also tried to recreate the dark area of the vertical stabilizer, as it was only worn by the Columbia.

It would be nice to create an option in that part, then we would have come to absolute perfection.

Edited by Cienty86

I love this mod and can't get enough of it. Great job.
However to this day I still cannot get the Canadarm to work properly. When it is attached to a module the all shuttle shakes uncontrollably.
I have tried all the suggestions going back on this treads and nothing seems to work for me. I have also tried it on different versions of KSP going back to 1.8, no luck.
If anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong I would much appreciate it.

Any plans on adding the cone that was used on the back of the shuttles when they were mounted to the shuttle carrier aircraft for transit? I wanna build a somewhat accurate version of Enterprise from when it was undergoing testing and that part would be a perfect addition

8 hours ago, CirrusUpdraft said:

Any plans on adding the cone that was used on the back of the shuttles when they were mounted to the shuttle carrier aircraft for transit? I wanna build a somewhat accurate version of Enterprise from when it was undergoing testing and that part would be a perfect addition

I second this, It'd be sick to have it in the mod.

2 hours ago, prinjrius said:

Hello, will buran be in the same style?

There are no plans for Buran:

Future plans:

• Additional shuttle payload adapter parts, including cradle for BDB IUS
  • Improvements to IVAs, including RPM/MAS integration
  • Additional variants to parts, e.g. Columbia SILTS pod
  • Continued refinement/tweaking of existing parts, balance & overall flighty dynamics
  • Spacelab and other Shuttle-specific payloads

Amazing job here. I cant lie, you are definitely one of the best mod developers ive ever seen. The detail in your work goes beyond that of any other mod currently used in KSP.

One thing I do want to recommend is a Realism Overhaul Config. I wanted to get into RO, but there is no config for this mod, so I decided not to. This mod is the only Space Shuttle Mod I want to use on KSP, so yeah lol. And, if you can make a mod with detailed rover parts, you would be a real savior my guy. There's surprisingly no other KSP rover mod that adds realistic / detailled looking rover parts.

Have a good one!