Ship exploding when rendezvous with another vessel

58 minutes ago, falcoon said:

This looks like a game that's been upgraded through several versions.

You have lots of mods which aren't there anymore, but the modules are still in the save file, so those are not active, but messages get printed

However, it's at line 15765 which shows the problem

[EXC 18:32:08.050] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	PartJoint.SetupJoint (Vector3 jointPos, Vector3 jointOrt, Vector3 jointOrt2, Int32 size, .AttachNode nodeToParent, .AttachNode nodeFromParent)

And I'm going to guess this is either one of the following:  Tweakscale, KJR or InfernalRobotics; whichever has PartJoint

28 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This looks like a game that's been upgraded through several versions.

True. Save file is old, very old. I used to play with 70+ mods few years ago. 
Game was freshly installed not so long ago tho. Didn't know that inforrmation about previously used mods is stored in save file. Does it matter? Can it cause problems?

35 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Tweakscale, KJR or InfernalRobotics; whichever has PartJoint

I'm not sure what "whichever has PartJoint" mean.
InfernalRobotics is not installed currently. I'll try uninstalling KJR.
Hope it's not Tweakscale what is causing problems, that thing is essential :)

Thank you for help.

3 minutes ago, falcoon said:

True. Save file is old, very old. I used to play with 70+ mods few years ago. 
Game was freshly installed not so long ago tho. Didn't know that inforrmation about previously used mods is stored in save file. Does it matter? Can it cause problems?

Usually no problems, they are just warnings.

I'm pretty sure it may be Tweakscale, try contacting the current maintainer, depends on which versoin of tweakscale you are using.  But I think the current one is @Lisias

Uninstalling / reinstalling KJR doesn't change anything.
Uninstalling / reinstalling Tweakscale doesn't change anything.

Unless anyone got other ideas, I'll try uninstalling mods one by one when i have time.

12 hours ago, Tonka Crash said:

PartJoint looks like a stock class unless it's been overloaded by a mod.

Thank you for your comment, unfortunatelly i have no idea what does it mean.

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm pretty sure it may be Tweakscale, try contacting the current maintainer, depends on which versoin of tweakscale you are using.  But I think the current one is @Lisias

It's me, Mari…uh.. Wrong game. :) 

16 hours ago, falcoon said:

Right. LGG had already mentioned it, but I will do it again for the sake of completude:

[EXC 18:32:08.050] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        PartJoint.SetupJoint (Vector3 jointPos, Vector3 jointOrt, Vector3 jointOrt2, Int32 size, .AttachNode nodeToParent, .AttachNode no
        PartJoint.create (.Part child, .Part parent, UnityEngine.Transform nodeSpace, Vector3 nodePos, Vector3 nodeOrt, Vector3 nodeOrt2,
        PartJoint.Create (.Part owner, .Part parent, .AttachNode nodeToParent, .AttachNode nodeFromParent, AttachModes mode)
        Part.SecureAutoStrut (.Part anchor, .AttachNode attachment, Boolean srfAttached)
        Part+<SecureAutoStruts>c__Iterator3.MoveNext ()
        UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

There's a lot, an awful amount of occurrences of this issue. KJR cannot be the culprit, as it's not on your mod-list:[man, I need more coffee! I was looking for my old, deprecated fork, didn't realized the current fork! :D ]

Mod DLLs found:
Stock assembly: Assembly-CSharp v0.0.0.0
ModuleManager v4.0.2.0
unBlur v0.5.0.0
MiniAVC v1.2.0.6
ClickThroughBlocker v0.1.7.2 / v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.2.0.6
aaa_Toolbar v1.7.19.1
MiniAVC v1.2.0.6
ToolbarControl v0.1.7.0 / v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.2.0.6
DockingCamera v1.3.5.0 / v1.0.0.0
EasyVesselSwitch v1.11.7052.36539 / v1.11 for KSP v1.7+
KSPDev_Utils.1.2 v1.2.7031.33522 / v1.2 for KSP v1.6+
MiniAVC v1.3.0.3
MiniAVC v1.2.0.6
EditorExtensionsRedux v3.3.21.0
MiniAVC v1.2.0.6
FShangarExtender v3.5.4.0 / v3.5.0.0
HideEmptyTechTreeNodes v1.0.0.0
InterstellarFuelSwitch v3.8.6.4
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
Scale_Redist v1.0.0.0
KAS-API-v2 v2.0.7037.1430 / vKAS API v2
KAS v1.4.7097.36908 / v1.4 for KSP 1.7.1+
MiniAVC v1.3.0.3
KerbalEngineer v1.1.6.0
KerbalEngineer.Unity v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.2
KerbalJointReinforcementNext v4.0.13.0
HyperEdit v1.5.8.0 / v1.5.8
KIS v1.22.7090.200 / v1.22 for KSP 1.7+
MiniAVC v1.2.0.7
KSP-AVC v1.3.0.3
MechJeb2 v2.5.1.0 / v / v2.8.4.0
ParkingBrake v0.1.2.0
MiniAVC v1.2.0.6
PreciseNode v1.2.10.3 / v1.2.4.0
Stock assembly: KSPSteamCtrlr v0.0.1.35
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0
TacFuelBalancer v2.20.6792.18106
KerbalAlarmClock v3.10.0.0
Scale v2.4.2.0
Scale_Redist v1.0.0.0
MiniAVC v1.0.3.0
[x] Science! v5.22.7074.4176

(Your TweakScale is the one current available on CurseForge,. SpaceDock and CKAN by the way).

TweakScale does not messes with PartJoints. There's no way TweakScale is directly involved on this. I think that whatever is borking on the PartJoints, is also borking on TweakScale, as I found also a awful amount of what follows:

[WRN 18:32:06.246] [TweakScale Warning] No valid member found for mass in TweakScale
TweakScale.Tools:LogWf(String, Object[])
TweakScale.MemberUpdater:Create(Object, String)
TweakScale.ScaleExponents:UpdateFields(Object, Object, ScalingFactor, Part)
TweakScale.ScaleExponents:UpdateObject(Part, Part, Dictionary`2, ScalingFactor)
TweakScale.TSGenericUpdater:OnRescale(ScalingFactor)
TweakScale.TweakScale:CallUpdaters()
TweakScale.TweakScale:Setup()
TweakScale.TweakScale:OnLoad(ConfigNode)
PartModule:Load(ConfigNode)
Part:LoadModule(ConfigNode, Int32&)
ProtoPartModuleSnapshot:Load(Part, Int32&)
ProtoPartSnapshot:Load(Vessel, Boolean)
ProtoVessel:LoadObjects()
Vessel:Load()
Vessel:Update()

What happens by TweakScale not finding the mass data of a part, what is… interesting… to say the least.

My best advise to you, right now, is:

• Install S.A.V.E. and make good use of it. Right now. :D (This should be the Add'On of the Year, IMHO. :))
  • Install a interim, full debug, work in progress, beta test release of TweakScale that will full diagnose the parts being TweakScale as well any problem it founds while doing its job. It's available on this post. (at the end)
    • The User Interface as messed up, but the code is good for the purpose
    • Install this thing manually, fire up KSP and wait for the Main Menu.
      • Once any Pop Window appears (and expect some), close KSP and publish on TweakScale thread the new KSP.log as well all the Module Manager's data files.
    • Then go back to the 2.4.2 Version of TweakScale until I release the 2.4.3.1 (2.4.3 with a proper U.I, currently a bit more annoying than needed).

— — — — POST EDIT — — — — 

I did a fast look into the MM Cache. Weirdly, I didn't found any of the issues I was expecting, your ConfigCache appears to be clean of TweakScale glitches!

Edited by Lisias
POST EDIT. And some fixes… damn. :P

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 3:17 PM, falcoon said:

I'm not sure what "whichever has PartJoint" mean.
InfernalRobotics is not installed currently. I'll try uninstalling KJR.
Hope it's not Tweakscale what is causing problems, that thing is essential :)

Ah! Found it! This is where it started! :)

On the good news, it's not TweakScale neither. It doesn't touch the joints. I nailed down the occurrence, and apparently is not a problem on an Add'On itself, but race condition between KSP and an Add'On. I didn't got into the root of the problem yet, so I'm restraining myself to talk further on the matter - I may be wrong on the Add'On that may be triggering the problem.

But what I can say for sure is that there's a very interesting condition in @falcoon's savegame in which two crafts are packed at the same time, and then it is unpacked. Exactly after that, one of the crafts explodes due losing its joints and having all its parts colliding at the same time (this is the reason of all that NRE on the PartJoint).

Why it's happening now, and not before? This is where I need to start guessing, but there're more concurrency nowadays on KSP than there were in the past (what's good, because we already reached the performance ceiling on a single CPU's thread). Since it can happens (about once each 30 times) that the vessel does not explode makes me hint that there's a sweet spot that can be exploited to avoid that race condition, at least for now. It's what I'm working when I have the time.

The bad news is that I haven't enough time for it. :( (but I still on it)

Edited by Lisias
damn grammars.

Just for the record, if someone has the same problem as me.
Uninstalling Interstellar Fuel Switch solved that, although, as i was told, it was not IFS that was causing explosions, so it's kind of "temporary workaround".

Edited by falcoon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.