My first rocket looked like this, back when I bought the game in version 1.3.1.

Ohiih8L.png

It shot Jeb out of the atmosphere on a suborbital trajectory. Now that I look at it, it has a couple of design flaws, most notably the LV-T30 when I should have used a 45, three fins rather than four, and the decoupler attached to the heatshield node that makes that ugly shroud. But you can hardly blame me, it was the first rocket I built.

1 minute ago, RealKerbal3x said:

three fins rather than four

I think you mean three fins instead of none.  By using the swivel on a rocket like that, the gimbal would be more than enough control.

I honestly don't remember what my first rocket looked like.  It was probably something similar to @RealKerbal3x's, but in the 2.5m form factor.  IIRC, I went straight up.... to escape velocity.  Probably.  I had no idea map view existed.

Just now, Geonovast said:

I think you mean three fins instead of none.  By using the swivel on a rocket like that, the gimbal would be more than enough control.

Yeah, with a Swivel fins would be unnecessary. But if you're going to have fins, four is generally better than three, because you can align each to the compass directions, making the rocket easier to control.

My very first rocket, in the tutorial, I put the fuel tank on top of the command pod for a joke - and got a surprise when it still flew.

My first orbital launcher had about 18 RT-10s in stage one, which also had fins angled for spin stabilisation. This was in the old souposphere days.

My first rocket (2013, 0.18 demo version) was Mk1 capsule, FL-T800 fuel tank and some small engine.  It didn't have enough thrust to launch.  My second rocket had a T30 and went up ... and back down.  Then I bought the real game.

Wish I had my notes (and files) from 8 years ago... There was I think 15 iterations of my first rocket, each one was launched just upwards, so the only thing I measured was the altitude it could reach.

EDIT: no surprise, I found it. First one was just a capsule, parachute, one tank and an engine. Back in 0.9 there wasn't much to choose from

Edited by The Aziz

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.