KSP Loading... Preview: Turbine Engines

St4rdust

KSP Loading preview Engines

R121 Turbo-Shaft Engine
This strong turbine engine consumes liquid fuel and outputs angular acceleration. Also emits a pleasantly high pitched whine.

R7000 Turboshaft Engine
This massive turbine engine consumes liquid fuel and outputs angular acceleration. We'd say it's the most powerful thing you can buy but it's still not a rocket!

High resolution here!

KSP_Loading_LF_Engines_Low2.jpg

1 minute ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Hmm, so, Kerbin and Laythe then. I hope there are LFO and EC variants in the pipeline. 

Nothing a mod can’t fix at least. But for console players it would indeed be beneficial. 

7 minutes ago, JERONIMO said:

The R7000 looks like a submarine head...

It's a radial attach engine so you can make sweet helicopter-like contraptions :)

(edit to add) - the geometry lets it sit on a 1.25m or larger stack radially without anything poking out or any of the intakes or exhaust bits clipping.  

Edited by RoverDude

I'm excited now. With these engines and actual stock propeller and helicopter blades in the pipeline. The next update will be a lot more fun playing around with prop planes and helo's.

Not to be a downer, but when I heard that stock propellers were coming in a future update I expected them to behave more like how modded prop engines do, like in Airplanes Plus or KAX. That is, effectively like a jet engine in game. I can't help but feel these won't work as well as they should. I already known they won't work in FAR all that well. And the fact the Propeller blades themselves are a fixed shape and length, suggesting there will be limited customisation and creativity. Plus the current Breaking Ground rotors already struggle when spinning at a high RPM, and just turn into a glitchy mess. Makes me wonder why they didn't just go down the Airplane Plus route. I guess on the bright side they won't be charging another $15 for content we've been waiting years for.

A couple comments:

1) The propeller engine needs exhausts as it is the part looks more like a piston plane engine nacelle. It's a combustion engine, so it should have at least one exhaust. Look at a reverse flow engine like a PT6 on a Beech King Air the exhausts could be attached on either side of what you have as inlets. Actually modelling a PT6 engine nacelle would be an improvement over this.

2) The R700 doghouse proportions just look off. The inlets and exhausts look too small. The part should probably be cut off just below the inlet bulges. The front is too vertical and too wide it should be more rounded. Helicopters do pay attention to aerodynamics.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.