Detailed logging of failure mode during launch

Good morning!

I've been searching the forum for a bit now, and I don't doubt this question has been asked before, but it's been hidden so well that I thought it easier to just post a new one.

As my contraptions have grown ever more massive, so has launching them into orbit become more of a chore to my CPU, and myself. Especially since the increasing stresses on the various components of my ships make failure at some point during the launch more and more likely. From the KSP.log, I've got a pretty good idea of the cause of most failures, but I'm still lacking a log that tells me exactly what the failure mode is, eg.

[2019-07-05 17:39:59] AFF59 Aeroshell ID=237849 failed because number of transverse Gremlins (6) exceeded max design limitations (5 transverse Gremlins).

Is there a standard feature of the game that does something like this, or is there a mod or other bit of tooling that might tell me more about the exact failure mode?

Playing KSP_1.7.2 64bit on Linux, MH + BG DLCs installed, with basic utility mods, but no parts mods.

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

F3 is your friend

Thanks for your response!

F3 gets me part of the way, certainly. But often enough, the first sign of anything wrong is a reported 'collision', where there should be no parts actually capable of colliding, unless there were some really peculiar sheer forces working on them. I'd like to understand the failure mode a lilttle bit better.

I suppose trial and error is the best way for now.

14 minutes ago, Hoozemans said:

Thanks for your response!

F3 gets me part of the way, certainly. But often enough, the first sign of anything wrong is a reported 'collision', where there should be no parts actually capable of colliding, unless there were some really peculiar sheer forces working on them. I'd like to understand the failure mode a lilttle bit better.

I suppose trial and error is the best way for now.

Not sure what else could be monitored. The 'collision' is what starts the explosions, it is pretty much telling you where the failure is occuring

1 hour ago, Hoozemans said:

Is there a standard feature of the game that does something like this, or is there a mod or other bit of tooling that might tell me more about the exact failure mode?

You're not going to get a complete picture unless you start tracking longitudinal Gremlins, as well.

More seriously, the F3 log has just about the best failure tracking that you're going to get.  However, if you want to monitor the ongoing forces that may contribute to those failures, then you should consider the F12 aerodynamic forces overlay.  The caveat is that your CPU will hate you even more.

I don't know whether there is an overlay or other method to watch strain and shear forces on the parts and joints internally; issues such as oscillations and gee-forces may not be logged or displayed at all, thus leaving you guessing again.  There are mods to increase joint strength and such, but I do not know of any that provide structural diagnostics.

Edited by Zhetaan

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not sure what else could be monitored.

Perhaps something like "stress X on component Y exceeding threshold Z", for preset thresholds. But that's for another thread.

43 minutes ago, Zhetaan said:

The caveat is that your CPU will hate you even more. 

I've been browsing threads on increasing performance of the game, but other than porting KSP to some as yet not extant experimental quantum computing system, I guess there's no such thing. I've been setting my 1000+ part launches to run overnight, but my girlfriend isn't happy with the noise of CPUs crunching physics...

3 minutes ago, Hoozemans said:

1000+ part launches

Ah, I see.  You need to look at @Whackjob's work, then.  It won't help your specific problem, but you may find it informative and entertaining.

Also, since I didn't mention it before, welcome to the happy little forum group, even though--and perhaps especially since--you may be bringing unhappily big ships.

11 minutes ago, Hoozemans said:

my girlfriend isn't happy with the noise of CPUs crunching physics...

I know you didn't come here for life advice, so I will instead let you know that the exhaust of the Rocketdyne F-1 engine, the most powerful of its type ever built (let alone flown) typically came out in the neighbourhood of 3,500 kelvin.  I mention this because girlfriend fury is a lot hotter.

30 minutes ago, Zhetaan said:

I mention this because girlfriend fury is a lot hotter. 

I have considered the possibility of hooking a couple of dozens of her up to a water reservoir, so creating a steam powered lift vehicle. I'll start working on the  Girlfriend Fury Steam Engine Mod as soon as I've taught myself to program.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.