Rotor RPM limiter is broken

m4ti140

Having played around with the rotors, their config files and having attached various different parts to them I came to a realization that the RPM limiter does not actually limit the RPM. Instead it arbitrarily limits the torque based on RPM and RPM limit setting, but does not actually care for what the end effect of that adjustment is. If there is literally anything draggy attached to a rotor the RPM limiter will limit the RPM way further than it should. E.g. after modifying smallest rotor to have a ridiculous max torque (750kNm) in order to remove that part from the consideration and attaching a pair of I beams to two of the rotor nodes, I noticed that the max RPM was actually roughly half of what I set the RPM limit slider too. I think it's quite obvious why this is a problem: Not only is the rotor (and probably servo as well) output unnecessarily limited significantly reducing its usefulness, but any changes in loading will change the RPM with no regard for the RPM setting. Timing rotations is impossible in this case as well.

We need a proper RPM governor that will actively control the torque based on feedback, or at least change the current one so that the external torque applied to the rotor is measured and then added to the calculated torque limit, the current solution is downright broken.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.