The Vehicles Topic

XB-70A

It's been a while since I thought about starting a topic as a place to share our love of cars, planes, boats and many more.

Here we can discuss the vehicles we had, the current ones, or the ones we would like to have in the future. Concepts and mechanics are also welcome.

Note: for the sake of discretion and anonymity on this forum,  I think it would be better to hide the registration plates of our personal and actual land vehicles (aircraft and boat numbers are much less subject to illegal duplicates). 

I start with the car of which I am the happy driver for almost five years: my 2015 Kia Optima LX.

UtRiAEs.jpg

Although she is far from being a rocket with her 2.4L Theta II GDI I4 and (rather slow) shiftless transmission, I did not have to complain about her so often. Her aerodynamic profile gives a couple of rather annoying blind spot of 3/4 on the rear left, and even more on the right (I have to literally raise myself from the seat for every check on starboard, despite a height of 194 cm). However, the same profile gives her a little plus  when moving under the rain at more than 40 mph / 65 km/h, the water flowing with a very good fluidity along the windshield and making the wipers almost useless. Driver assistance is also with its +  and  -. The positive with the TCS, and the negative for the ESP, which is definitively "pessimistic" on the curves with reduced angle.

I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee and an 88 Jeep Comanche.  They're not in the best of shape.  I'm really hoping next year I'll be able to junk the cherokee, use what parts I can on it to convert the Comanche to four wheel drive, and buy a new-ish Corolla.  I've put at least 10,000 miles on rental Corollas, and I absolutely love that car.

My first car was a CheVette.

Currently we have a 09 Toyota Yaris (aka "The White Wimp") as a commuter vehicle, and we recently bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Hemi so that we could buy a decent size travel trailer (we were getting rather tired of the tent trailer). That blue with the blackout package really looks sharp!

VTSIp1l.jpg

I’ve been driving a 2006 Honda Odyssey for a few years. Been a great vehicle and has over 200k miles on it. Honestly I haven’t taken good care of the car, but it’s been fairly reliable even so.

One thing I like the appeal of is the VW Beetle design, not the new ones though.

10 minutes ago, munlander1 said:

I have a 2006(7?) Hyundai Sonata with a sunroof that cracks open at speeds about 40-50mph, the ceiling fabric is hanging, and the back rear wheel makes a weird squeaky sound when you turn and keeping making it for a while after the turn.

Well used then.

Squeaky noise probably isnt good though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 1:55 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

My first car was a CheVette.

Currently we have a 09 Toyota Yaris (aka "The White Wimp") as a commuter vehicle, and we recently bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Hemi so that we could buy a decent size travel trailer (we were getting rather tired of the tent trailer). That blue with the blackout package really looks sharp!

VTSIp1l.jpg

Nice car! I like big vehicle 

Where did you buy the trailer? I want to buy the same for trips. 

Edited by StellaGraham
add comment

The trailer is a 2005 Jayco Baja 23’ that I bought off Craigslist. It only sleeps 4 but the outside kitchen at the back is nice. GVW is 6500 lbs; not light but not too heavy for the truck to tow comfortably 

3 hours ago, StellaGraham said:

Nice car! I like big vehicle 

Where did you buy the trailer? I want to buy the same for trips. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.