Changing UI Navball texture by hand

I've modified the model002.dds texture by hand (just changed the blue and brown sky/ground colors) in the Squad/Props/Navball folder.  But the navball in the game hasn't changed color.  I also changed the color of the dds files in the two IVANavball folders located nearby also, and the IVA navball texture HAS changed.  

So I'm really not sure where the UI Navball texture could be hung up at.  Checked the logfile and the only textures that have 'Navball' in the name are loading from the Squad/Props subfolders, so I don't think any of the mods I have are overriding the default texture (None of the mods are texture modifiers 'I don't think').  

I have both DLCs installed too, but do either of those have a navball texture update or some such in them?  

Thanks for the replies!  And in the end I may end up using one of those.  But I am genuinely curious why my vanilla approach to manually modifying the base texture file didn't work. 

I'm on a mission! :P

My next step is probably just to unload all of my mods and see if that changes anything.  Again, I don't think I have any mods that would usurp the base navball texture, but I'll see. 

Edited by Sarxis

23 minutes ago, Sarxis said:

Thanks for the replies!  And in the end I may end up using one of those.  But I am genuinely curious why my vanilla approach to manually modifying the base texture file didn't work. 

This thread is really really old but IIRC is where NBTC came from originally. I even made a few textures my own self, though I rarely used anything but the default. Anyway, at the start there is some discussion as to how the game loads the texture. Not sure if it fully answers your questions or is even relevant anymore.

Thanks!!  I'll take a look at that thread :D

edit:  took a look at the thread.  EvilReaper mentioned that the default navball for the UI is hidden away in the game.  I guess what bothers me about the whole ordeal is that the IVA navballs are easily changed just by going into the Squad/Props/IVA... folders and changing those texture files, but the Squad/Props/Navball folder DOESN'T actually have the default texture for the UI in it, even though there is a texture file in there for the navball? 

Weird.  

Ahh well, just going to use the NavballTextureChanger mod for now then.  

Edited by Sarxis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.