The Airplane Loop and Barnstorming Challenge

Bring out that part of you that aspires to fly like @Cupcake...  

Very simple premise. You may do either or both parts. They are really two separate challenges.

PART 1

1.Take off from the KSC

2. Nose up and do a complete 360 degree loop. (not a roll)

3. Land as quickly as possible.

RULES:

The leaderboard will be based on time.  The clock starts when you gun the engines (and KSP automatically starts it).

The clock stops when you come to a complete stop.

You must land intact on the runway. (2-second penalty if you roll onto the grass).

You must have a pilot.

You may use SAS but it will cost a 2-second penalty.

There will be a separate leaderboard for aircraft using breaking ground parts and/or VTOL craft.

No fly by wire or extra reaction wheels.

PART 2

1. Post a one-minute uncut video of you pulling every stunt you can in your plane. 

The winner will be judged by the votes of your peers. You don't have to land in one minute nor show the takeoff, just show one uncut minute of footage.  If you crashed afterwards, well we don't know about it....

There are no restrictions here at all, but please indicate if you are flying via keyboard or joystick and whether you are using SAS@Brikoleur, I'm keen on some copter stunts.

This challenge came about after trying several times (and failing) to do @Phantomic's excellent but bloody difficult STOL challenge (which is really worth a try). I dusted off an old fighter plane that is my most maneuverable aircraft, and just started having fun barnstorming around. 

I've already got my time but I am going to hold off posting until I see what else gets posted.

53OSWji.png

Edited by Klapaucius

2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

There are no restrictions here at all, but please indicate if you are flying via keyboard or joystick and whether you are using SAS@Brikoleur, I'm keen on some copter stunts.

Cool challenge. I’ll have to pass for now as BAK is on holiday until August (I’m traveling without my computer.) We’ll see after that!

On 7/8/2019 at 6:10 PM, Klapaucius said:

Yes.  Had to Google that; I did not know the term.

Ok so to you don't need to do a 360 with you're velocity vector then, just the craft orientation?

3 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Ok so to you don't need to do a 360 with you're velocity vector then, just the craft orientation?

Here is my run, to give an example--17 seconds start to finish. For the non DLC, not VTOL category, you have to achieve lift from a rolling take off, from there, you can do what you need to do.

records kSP in 1080p.

gets auto-teleported into desktop 4k.

recording implodes. Cannot turn on or off and spamming messages about how it's unable to record.

KSP and desktop give way to a 64*64 grid of colorful pixel noise in the middle of the screen where ctrl-alt-delete does nothing.

I... I think I may have murdered windows. :retrograde::blink:

Edited by Pds314

17 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

records kSP in 1080p.

gets auto-teleported into desktop 4k.

recording implodes. Cannot turn on or off and spamming messages about how it's unable to record.

KSP and desktop give way to a 64*64 grid of colorful pixel noise in the middle of the screen where ctrl-alt-delete does nothing.

I... I think I may have murdered windows. :retrograde::blink:

Ugh...

11 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

Quick question: I know this obviously would not qualify as a run, but is the maneuver and landing acceptable if it were?

Yes. You get a copter to do anything like that, and I say:  Wahoo!

The only disqualifiers are going off the runway and losing a part.  But in principle, this is perfectly okay for the VTOL/DLC category.

Edited by Klapaucius

1 minute ago, Pds314 said:

"Well, we won't be needing these anymore." -Jebediah Kerman
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I think you just invented a new challenge there. The land on the the side bit of the SPH challenge!  If you do a loop before landing, you get bonus points for flair!

Also if I added a way to control the collective pitch, I could do some stuff like hovering upside down which would obviously be useful for this challenge. Right now I have completely crazy derptacular levels of roll and pitch control from the  cyclic pitch swashplate. The SAS has very modest yaw authority with two reaction wheels, but I have like none and giving me manual control of the reaction wheels would probably not help a whole lot. I think a tail rotor with blade pitch control might be the best solution lol.

EDIT: An example of an earlier flight. May as well demonstrate what I mean by no yaw authority even with crazy maneuverability. So crazy the rotor expanded out into Krakenland and blew up in a 15+ G turn (after several 5 G turns where it stayed intact) lol.

Edited by Pds314

Hmm... Turns out a lighter chopper with crazy amounts of power for its weight and a tail rotor doesn't need SAS or collective to do this lol. 14 seconds, albeit on the Island runway and the loop could defiitely have been more vertical, since it was only about 50 degrees not 90.

Edited by Pds314

New run at 0:08 at the actual runway. Perfectly-vertical loop and no damage from the near-vertical 70 kph slam into the ground. This version has been modified with a tailstrike skid, and the elevator is higher and there is only one of them to minimize impact damage risk.

No SAS. No Reaction wheels. All Keyboard control.

Touch down is at 6 seconds, but it bounces until 8 seconds. I think I could improve the run by a second or three using a more sophisticated anti-bounce landing skid system and better piloting. The initial roll should have been alongside more forward motion as well. Still, 0:08 isn't a bad time.

Edited by Pds314

Oh, rats.  I just got OBS working and had a cheeky little plane that could loop in 4 seconds...but then saw the rule about extra reaction wheels.  Bummer.  Oh, well, back to the drawing board.

EDIT:  Alright, I have one that follows the rules and *still* loops in 4 seconds, although it required a lot of tweaking to get perfect.  Behold:

It's not nearly as fun to fly as the version that had 6 reaction wheels.  In fact, it's quite stable, and difficult to get it to do aerobatics.  I'll have to upload that video later.

Edited by zolotiyeruki

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.