Is there Community desire for a new Kerbal streaming/weekly video presence? (Stream RP, Mini series with thoughtful production, etc.)

ChadderVox

Is there Community desire for a new Kerbal streaming/weekly video presence? (Stream RP, Mini series with thoughtful production, etc.)  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What if KSP was used to make a new Mini-series of shorts in a similar vein to O.G. Red v. Blue?

• AWESOME! Maybe even have influences of classic television troupes!
    • Bad Idea. The KSP market is over saturated already.
    • I prefer the game aspect and do not like the KSPverse being used to make 'Fan Fiction'
  2. 2. What if KSP was used to stream competitions between players?

• Great Idea! I enjoy watching hilarious competitions between entertaining personalities!
    • Bad Idea. Can we just stick to how the game is intended to be played?
    • I would rather enjoy watching competitions between random users in our Community.
    • A mix of entertaining personalities and allowing members of the Community to join would be ideal.
  3. 3. How has past KSP Video Creators been viewed among the Community?

• Any time someone is using KSP to create new content is Amazing!
    • Only videos without speaking are good, too much talking!
    • The creators aren't the problem, the lack of production in video creation is what is missing!
    • We need a Community driven channel only, no more need for another Entertainer.

Hello fellow Nauts! 

A few members of the Community and I are working within a SAP currently.  More information will definitely be made available when possible.  What can be said of it now is the following:

- There are individuals who have some ideas for making content for entertainment using Kerbal. 
- Content can include, but is not limited to:
  - Comedy mini series
  - Streamed competitions (both regulated and anything goes)
  - Creation of new characters within the KSPverse.
  - Streamed behind the scenes of content capture/creation.
  - Access for Community involvement both directly and indirectly.

- This new proposed idea would be comprised of a team and not just 1 content creator to do everything.
- Success of this idea would allow for an ever increasing roll of the Community's involvement with content creation!   

I welcome any opinions to this topic.  I want this to be a living/breathing discussion as those who are already involved are passionate about this!

Thanks,
Chad 'Vox' Dickson
Vox

Edited by ChadderVox

May i suggest using mods like telemacus to make telemetry of vessels available to viewers?

You could even have a viewer based controlcenter or give individual viewers limited control.

9 minutes ago, VITAS said:

May i suggest using mods like telemacus to make telemetry of vessels available to viewers?

You could even have a viewer based controlcenter or give individual viewers limited control.

Have you been sneaking peeks at my whiteboard? ;) 

I agree, there are some current mods that would allow for missions to be completed via mock-mission controls. 

If enough of a following emerges, you could even have different Agencies that simultaneously competed towards a common goal... 

.. it could even be discovered that departments such as KARPA may have more secrets hidden than Jeb or Some new recruit can even imagine!  

No i actualy build a testsetup 6 month or so ago.
IT consists of a vpn to a server running an reverse proxy and some filter settings.

There are also posts of me in the telemacus thread. Im no streamer but i realy want someone to try this in production.
Im there if infrastructure is the the problem :)

Just to serve as a better data point, I'll give a bit more detail. I'm curious to see a KSP red vs blue, but have never watched KSP fiction before so the personality tropes would probably be lost on me at first. Competitions sound like a good way to supplement the more work intensive scripted videos and keep up with regular content. I like that idea! The competitions would probably be the main draw for me- I'm probably infamous for it at this point, but I think KSP lends itself really well to races.

Also, could you please link to the channel in this thread if/when it's up so I know where to find it? I'll definitely give it a look!

55 minutes ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Competitions sound like a good way to supplement the more work intensive scripted videos and keep up with regular content. I like that idea!

Yes! all the things!!!

The competitions would probably be the main draw for me- I'm probably infamous for it at this point, but I think KSP lends itself really well to races.

We are really excited to see with the help of high processing power and select mods, we can bring some really unique and entertaining content!  We agree, Space Races are the best!

Also, could you please link to the channel in this thread if/when it's up so I know where to find it? I'll definitely give it a look!

As more things get built into their place, we will for sure be linking all information about it here on the forums and also everywhere else there are KSP communities! 

8 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

tbh i'm not against any of these; if people want to make content there's nothing stopping them. 

Agreed. My only addition is that you should never untertake something like this for others. If you're not doing it for yourself it'll never last.

16 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Agreed. My only addition is that you should never untertake something like this for others. If you're not doing it for yourself it'll never last.

Well of course; because then it's a job. And worse since you don't get paid for doing it! And also just the fact that you have to have a geninue interest in this stuff to keep content coming; you have to be the kind of person who wakes up at 4AM and goes "I KNOW WHAT I NEED TO DO X IN KSP" and spends the next 2-3 nights iterating upon it until finally it works. And then that same enthusism flows into the final work; captivating the audience as well. 

You don't get that by phoning it in.

51 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

A good friend of mine and myself have been tossing around some portion of this idea for the better part of a year.  During this time, I have been upgrading my rigs and getting settled into my new house.  I am 33/m/Dallas, TX, Stay @ home father of 2.  
My friend and I are coming up on getting some free time to commit to this project.  

It is for us 1st and foremost, we are founding members of the Lithobraking Research Society! ;)    

Having something of our creation help create a larger community and presence around KSP would be a complete honor though! 

1 hour ago, ChadderVox said:

We agree, Space Races are the best!

I'll just nudge this in here then... It's a race for stock KSP designed to take 1-2 hours on the first try, and the format+difficulty are purposefully designed to make for entertaining viewing on a stream. If it matches what you're going for feel free to go for it or use the idea as a template.

Something else that's proven really popular lately in gaming streams for older 1 player games like KSP is 'randomizer races' (you can type the term into youtube) where elements of the game are jumbled up and the players need to race to figure out what's going on and accomplish some goal (normally beating the game). I could imagine you could make a quite entertaining race by jumbling up the tech tree and doing a 200% science career run to the surface of Eve or Tylo and back. Or maybe a sandbox race limited to really wacky parts? I'm mostly just putting thoughts on paper here there's plenty of fun ways to do short competitions in KSP. It might be worth just gathering some friends together on skype and trying some things out just to see what's fun to run and makes you want to run the competition again! Like others are saying, that's probably the most important part. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Edited by Cunjo Carl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.