Reasons that you jettison a heat shield.

JERONIMO

I always jettison the thing at low altitude, when it no longer matters for a speed thing, simply because I like explosions.  I mean, heat shields are cheap and you're only returning the capsule (and various minor attachments) after spending all the money on the big rocket that took it wherever.  Thus, it really makes no difference to the bottom line if you jettison it.

And no, I never recover boosters, either.  If I can't make them collide after separation, I blow them up with TAC Self-Destruct.  Because explosions!  Seriously, if you have to scrimp on money, you're obviously not using the right settings ;)

Edited by Geschosskopf

I kinda think the shield is more valuable for lithobraking purposes (i.e., absorbing some of the landing energy, even if it breaks), so don't usually find it worth it to ditch.  The exception might be some unusual design where it doesn't land with the shield on the bottom, but that's pretty rare for me. 

1 hour ago, Aegolius13 said:

I kinda think the shield is more valuable for lithobraking purposes (i.e., absorbing some of the landing energy, even if it breaks), so don't usually find it worth it to ditch.  

That. Plus, obviously, money value.

Of course that only applies for Kerbin returns, if I go for other atmospheric bodies I ditch them to save weight on the ship that is supposed to get back to space.

2 hours ago, Aegolius13 said:

I kinda think the shield is more valuable for lithobraking purposes (i.e., absorbing some of the landing energy, even if it breaks), so don't usually find it worth it to ditch.  The exception might be some unusual design where it doesn't land with the shield on the bottom, but that's pretty rare for me. 

Iv'e had it detach and destroy the capsule during a 6 m/s impact; so this is actually why i try to ditch it well before hitting the ground.

Returning to Kerbin? No, I don't jettison it. The parachutes are enough to slow the craft.

On other atmospheric bodies? Yes, I jettison it. I need to get it out of the way so my landing legs or rover wheels can contact the ground.

5 hours ago, Jack Joseph Kerman said:

Yes, but only the inflatable shield because otherwise it would just get in the way and make it impossible for me to land safely.

On Eve, it's sometimes possible to build an upside-down lander.  Then you flip the lander over after the fires die out and use the inflatable heatshield as a parachute, which then makes a useful sun umbrella on the ground.  Although blocking sunlight really makes no practical difference due to the high ambient air temperature, it seems to have a placebo effect on the Kerbals so is good for morale :D.  Especially given that such a lander is a 1-way trip, like to deliver a convict to eternal exile.  And then the irony of having an umbrella adds to his pathos :cool: That's about the only reason NOT to jettison a heatshield ;)

Edited by Geschosskopf

8 minutes ago, Loskene said:

I jettison it whenever I want to destroy the capsule by having the shield fly straight back up due to KSP errordynamics.

Wait.

Just jettison it after the chutes fully deploy. If you still hit it after that, you were going to crash anyway.

Like @Xavven said, I really only ditch them when landing elsewhere. I generally want to reduce part count, so even if the heat shield won't have a negative effect on the craft after reentry... why keep it? I'd rather have it separate and explode or at least be out of physics range.

4 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

Heatshields are for softies. Hardcore pilots don't need such luxuries. Jeb approves. :wink:

cN0e5jh.png   

Well sure if you're coming in to Kerbin at orbital velocities in the stock game. Just try that at Eve or coming home from Jool with no fuel.

1 hour ago, The Dunatian said:

You didn't catch the joke? Tant pis.

I did get that you were jokingly boasting and was riffing on it, but if there was more to it than that then no, I did not. I tend to be at least a bit outside the loop.

Incidentally, I also don't know what "Tant pis" means though it sounds vaguely French.

Well I have the same reason as @Xavven, but I have only around four reentry capsule designs that optimize landing legs; all of them uses Firespitter's retractable Electric Rotor but only two of them needs to jettison heatshieldsto make way for landing legs.

At safe speeds (i.e Below 1,500 m/s) the Heat Shield is jettisoned to make room for the landing legs to extend, and finally land. However, this isn't the thing for my first two versions that has the Heatshield not covering up the legs.

Edited by FahmiRBLXian

I don't usually jettison the ablative heat shield. If it's exploded on touchdown, it means it's doing it's job for cushioning the landing, thus saving the crew (their price isn't worth the lives of my pilots!). If it's survived intact on touchdown, I'd just call it more money back

On 7/10/2019 at 3:21 PM, Ratwerke_Actual said:

I usually ditch the inflatable.

The regular heatshields provide a valuable shock absorber if you are coming in slightly hot.

Expect water landings, if water landing and fragile capsule it makes sense to ditch it. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.