It’s time to make some changes o_o! (Diet and exercise edition)

I’ve been neglecting my health for a couple of years or more now... I’m kinda at the point where I’m asking myself what am I doing... I don’t feel good, I don’t look good. It’s time to make a change and stop being a dumbass me thinks! 

I have a gym membership lined up for what seems to be a good deal... $55aud a month with no additional fees like sign up costs or paying for the key. (it’s Anytime Fitness)

I’ve heard a lot of people mention they do Keto on YouTube so I thought I’d try it out, apparently it’s basically cutting out carbs and sugars etc... some of the Keto recipes I’ve seen so far are like o_o waaaaat?.... first you add the bacon, then the cheese, then the butter... lol then your heart dies? XD but I thought I’d give it a go! The using fat in place of carbs part... maybe not the eating everything that clogs your arteries part >_< but I did just make an interesting bacon and cheese, almond meal loaf thing which is interesting.

Just thought I’d put it out there. Maybe someone else might read this and get the urge to make some changes too. 

Anyone want to get fit with me? XD We can compare notes! :3

Your timing is impeccable. My girlfriend and I are on the very cusp of joining Planet Fitness ($10 US a month as well as $40 a year. No clue what that's about but hey) and starting a 3-day-a-week routine. We've been eating *mostly* well for the bulk of the year and are hoping the exercise will only help.

Neither of us are super out of shape, but we've let ourselves go for the past couple years and pretty much any heavy physical activity exhausts us.

I'm on board.  Last year I was on a pretty good exercise/diet program, lost 30 lbs in 4 months.  Then I fell off.

I've tried a few times to get back on it... since I'd gained all that weight back.  I even brought my exercise bike to work thinking I would use it more if it was there... that backfired.

I honestly think the hardest thing about getting in shape is when you're trying to do it alone.

In another interesting coincidence, I was just having this conversation with a buddy of mine at lunch. He wants to get in shape to run a 5k run-and-gun biathlon. I can run 5k, but I don't know if I can run it with 25 lbs of kit on and still be hitting targets at 200-300 yards. But it sounds like a fun challenge, so we're going to do it.

2 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I honestly think the hardest thing about getting in shape is when you're trying to do it alone.

This. I keep getting on and falling off the fitness wagon, simply because I don't have anyone to keep me accountable.

my idea of fitness is lifting bbq pork ribs. a dozen or so reps should do. but you should add some variety to your workout routine, tossing potatoes and cans of beans. you should probibly eat right too, so put some chives on your baked potato between the bacon, sour cream and the cheese. 

4 hours ago, TheSaint said:

In another interesting coincidence, I was just having this conversation with a buddy of mine at lunch. He wants to get in shape to run a 5k run-and-gun biathlon. I can run 5k, but I don't know if I can run it with 25 lbs of kit on and still be hitting targets at 200-300 yards. But it sounds like a fun challenge, so we're going to do it.

I've always wanted to run a 5k. Maybe it will happen sometime soon. :wink:

There should be a dedicated thread here for us to gloat over our fitness routines and goad each other on.

Edited by The Dunatian

8 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Interesting, what's easier: to run 5k on Mars but in a spacesuit, or 5k without it but here.

Well if the space suit is augmenting your movements and not restricting them, mars I think. Other wise best to ditch the space suit and run on earth. 

5 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

This ain't gonna work if my boss doesn't stop giving me free pizza.

Just because it's free doesn't mean you have to eat it....

Okay, going to the gym tonight. Running two miles on the treadmill (too hot to run outside) and doing three sets of ten reps around the weight room. Who's with me?

52 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

What if I said there was bacon on it?

Tough call. :D

52 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I have a really hard time watching non-spoiled food go into the trash.

Oh, no, I get it. I'm the same way. I was raised by a Depression Baby. Wasting food in my childhood home was a cardinal sin. My wife's family was big on the "Clean Plate Club" at dinner, and she wound up going through high school forty, forty-five pounds overweight. Not blaming anyone, just saying that what was a good plan then may not be a good plan now, and we have to unlearn the bad habits we learned.

Have a heart-to-heart with your boss, let him know what you're trying to do. Take the free food, put it in a to-go box and save it for later when you're really hungry.  Or just take it outside and give it to a homeless guy. Be creative.

7 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Wasting food in my childhood home was a cardinal sin

Even if you dont eat it because "food is scarce" eat it because food wastage is very bad at the moment

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/war-on-waste 

I would suggest watching this if you haven't seen it already

Edited by guesswho2778

9 hours ago, Geonovast said:

if my boss doesn't stop giving me free pizza.

Does your boss ask the pizza if it wants to be given to you?
If not, this cannot be a free pizza, this is enslaved one, as it gets given without its permission.

What a weird hypocrisy: to call "free" that what gets unwillingly given to be eaten...

9 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Just because it's free doesn't mean you have to eat it.... 

+1!
Free the pizza! Don't eat it!

going to the gym tonight. Running two miles on the treadmill

A perfect logic of modern culture: go to somewhere to run there...

Why not choose a gym very far, run to there to have a walk after running?!
On another hand, then why the gym? Just walk back from the place where you've run to...

(too hot to run outside)

And several tens of people gather inside the cold place to make as hot as it's outdoors.
That's how the Entropy will defeat the Universe.

9 hours ago, Geonovast said:

What if I said there was bacon on it?

That's just as expected. An unwillingly eaten pizza with the flesh of unwillingly terminated creature. A reign of violence in a paper box.

9 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

you always, ALWAYS, eat free food.

You call the food "free" just because it can't say "no". #eattoo

8 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Wasting food in my childhood home was a cardinal sin. My wife's family was big on the "Clean Plate Club" at dinner,

An ethical end-around: throw/put the excessive piece of food out of  window/door with magic words: "That's for birdies!"
(.../kitties/puppies/whatever is staring at you from a trashcan with suspecting dislike in eyes)

Take the free food, put it in a to-go box and save it for later when you're really hungry. 

... two months later.

Or just take it outside and give it to a homeless guy.

But first ensure he is hungry, otherwise you can embarrass him just delegating the problem.

1 hour ago, guesswho2778 said:

Even if you dont eat it because "food is scarce" eat it because food wastage is very bad at the moment

And as the worst part of this problem are plastic bags for this food, don't forget to eat them, too. Save the whales, they want neither bags nor pizza.

This is a really freaky coincidence, since I just decided to take running back up. I had a semi-consistent running schedule going through college, but then I moved 3,000 miles and started a new job in a new city and that just kind of stopped. But, I miss feeling halfway in shape, so I've decided to take it back up, and add some other exercises in there for good measure. With any luck, I'll actually stick to it.

On the bright side, I've been eating pretty well (I actually managed to lose weight when I went off to college, which from what I hear is a minor miracle), so at least that won't be a problem.

I definitely need to think more often. Going down a rabbit hole while at it as well. Thinking takes energy, and getting down the rabbit hole makes me less eager to go and eat...

If you want to use running as exercise but have problems with the motivation i have a few suggestions:

-Join a local runnning group. Idealy one where you like the people so you come again just to see them.

-Track your own times and see how you improve. Dont compare yourself to others, but to your past.

-Register for a race thats a few months in the future and tell everyone. Then you have to train and participate :D

(Update) I failed. >_<

Apparently there are only staff onsite on Saturday by appointment. So I’l try again Monday... 

On related update news, I’ve been actively avoiding any sugar or carbs for like a week now and so far I haven’t felt too deprived. I got a few low carb chocolates which taste like crap in large amounts but are ok if you only have a little bit each time. Which is probably a good thing anyway.

eating out or getting a snack is almost impossible though... everything has carbs -_-

I bought these multivitamins yesterday... and when I opened them up they are coated in sugar XD

9-B8-EDB51-9-BC3-487-F-B860-918-FD472454

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.