How did you kill your first kerbals?

ResonantWaves

Title says it all.

My first kerbal died when I accidentally released a lunch clamp prematurely. The solid boosters got cut off, but it was too late to stop the Astro 1 from destroying the pad in a ball of flames, killing Val. Bob died when I forgot to add a decoupler to the service module from the pod on reentry and he burnt to a crisp. Bill and Jeb along with newcomer Bartlin were killed when my first Mun flyby suddenly became a 700m/s sample collection mission... :sealed: CLASSIFIED [REDACTED]

How about you?

Edited by ResonantWaves
Launch and lunch are two different things. Mmmm...lunch.

I would assume it was before even reaching space, or at least on return from an early space venture (though re-entry was a lot less dangerous back then) but the first I remember is actually the first of my many failed Mun landings before actually getting it right.

I... honestly don't remember. Probably in a "you forgot the struts, you idiot"-type crash shortly after launch.

This would have been back in the days when orange tanks were super wobbly and you needed vertical struts to hold 2.5m ships together, mind you. It was a lot more common of a problem back in the day.

10 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

On my 5th-ever launch, Bob fell through a crack on the surface of Mun and was never seen again.

Ah.. the famed terrain bugs...

9 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

I... honestly don't remember. Probably in a "you forgot the struts, you idiot"-type crash shortly after launch.

This would have been back in the days when orange tanks were super wobbly and you needed vertical struts to hold 2.5m ships together, mind you. It was a lot more common of a problem back in the day.

I only started KSP in 1.0.5, so I never experienced that, thank the Kerm :)

I don't remember specifics, but when I was still playing the demo version, I was down to just Vall before I ever made it to orbit.

10 hours ago, JBMCW2010 said:

I can't recall my first, but the most frequent deaths are due to forgetting parachutes. It happens more often that I'd like to admit to.

I don't usually forget parachutes, but I have a distressing tendency to get distracted during reentry and not actually deploy the chutes sometimes. 

It was during my first successful mun mission, jeb had landed successfully but i had staggered the launches so that return rocket was a few hours away. Insertion burn went well; and began my decent. What i failed to realize was that there was a crater rim that intersected my orbital plane about 4-5000km away from my landing site. I tried burning prograde to raise myself above the rim but it didn't work; valentina smacked into the rim in excess of 900m/s resulting in a complete loss of craft and the pilot.

My first two deaths were one snafu with the end flight button during an experiment to see if a rocket with a Kerbal in it flew slower than an identical rocket without, but that didn't really count in my eyes because it wasn't really my fault. The second fatality was me putting an SRB on a rocket without first engaging symmetry. Due to the really laggy computer I was playing on, I didn't bother moving the camera to check. RIP Bill.

Hi all,

It is embarrassing to admit it but my first Kerbal was killed as a direct result of me not sorting out the staging order of a 'first flight' rocket consisting of a Mk16 chute, a Mk1 Capsule and a Flea booster. This was back when I was using the 1.0 Demo because I couldn't afford the game. The Flea shredded the chute and when the fuel ran out the whole thing plunged back to Kerbin. 

Since then Jeb has died repeatedly in so many different and obscure ways.

Regards

Orc

Not the first one, but the earliest one I remember clearly. I was using a life support mod for the first time and had Jeb in orbit for a contract. Time warped too far and he perished after running out of supplies. I wanted to bring the spacecraft back down, but it had no probe core so I had to send up Valentina and newly recruited kerbal. They docked with Jeb's craft and poor Val had to transfer over and sit next to her friend's dead body as she and the new recruit undocked and landed the two crafts separately. It was a most somber experience.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.