Rover Time Warp Kraken?

I don't know if this is the right spot for this question because I don't know if this is a technical question- or if the game was updated and everyone's is like this.  The issue I'm having is any rover I build, with any type of wheels, will flip way out when running at timewarp.  The wheels spaz out, and it flips my craft every time.  Is this just me?

Unity springs don't properly store state in time warp. When you exit time warp, they are displaced WRT the ground and violetly right themselves.

Try reduceing spring stiffness. If you flip on exiting time warp, the CoM is probably not evenly distributed over the wheels.

If it's physics warp you have issues with: welcome to rovers! Careful turning at speed. 25 m/s is over 55 mph! Do you snap your cars steering to full turn at that speed?

Edited by ajburges

Thanks!  However, it's all wheels- including the big XL3s that don't really dampen.   And my issue isn't happening when I exit time warp, it's happening during.  I've noticed that while driving in normal time, the wheels look like they're skittering- kinda jittery motion that doesn't really affect anything; but when I start to warp, she completely explodes.  No issues with turning.  I'm thinking I may have accidentally switched over to physics warp?  How can I tell?

Edited by Lazarus MonkeyMan

10 hours ago, Lazarus MonkeyMan said:

I'm thinking I may have accidentally switched over to physics warp?  How can I tell?

Standard timewarp goes in "logarithmically" increasing steps. 1x 5x 10x 50x 100x

Physwarp is in singlesteps: 1x 2x 3x 4x

4x is as high as physwarp goes. So the numeric values are completely different in the mission clock. Also, when you go above 2x physwarp, you get a warning message on your screen that you have to clear -- that says "large craft may become unstable in physwarp -- so proceed at your own risk."

14 hours ago, Lazarus MonkeyMan said:

…I'm thinking I may have accidentally switched over to physics warp?  How can I tell?

The only time normal time warp is available to you is when your vessel is either under no load, is Splashed Down, or is Landed - and a driving rover is in none of those states.

So you’re in physics warp. This works by doubling, tripling, or quadrupling the time step between frames. Thus parts are allowed to displace up to four times their normal distance before the next frame is evaluated - and since internal forces are proportional to displacement, you get up to 4x the reaction force next frame. And then things go badly.

Edited by pincushionman
Forgot a state

Thanks!  It's just blowing my mind because I've never had this issue before.  Never got a warning message either.  Even at 1x, the wheels are stuttering like I've never seen before- even on old craft I've driven all over Duna/Laythe with that had no issues with earlier.  Was it some kind of update?

I find the largest wheels troublesome in general. Differential turning requires short wheel bases and the large wheels have enough leverage to cause a lot of torque related issues.

If you have kraken issues at 1x, there is something unstable in your design. Try reviewing your use of rigid attachment and autostruts. Remember the wheels have locked struts, so check the vessel tree from heaviest part to wheels for components that would flex on stress.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.