Looking for 1.7.2 mods

Hi Space friends,

I have close to 500 hours in KSP at the moment over the past couple years. I always used mechjeb until 1.7.2 , finally started to play legit stock , only using distant object enhance and eve, and a skybox. Anyways, I am looking for mods that I might not know about, fully compatiable with 1.7.2 and downloadable on CKAN without changing version. (I know many work still from 1.6). Anything you guys would recommmend for playing close to stock in 1.7.2 (Not looking for cheat mods). If you have played with any mods recently that you highly recommend, would love to know what they are. Basically, what mods are you using in 1.7.2 ?!?

Doesn't CKAN filter by mods that are compatible with the current version?

I just started a new career game and my usual modlist seems to be working fine.  KOS, KER, ScanSat, RemoteTech, plus EVE/Scatterer/PlanetShine/DistantObjectEnhancement.

I'm trying ReStock for the first time but not sure what differences are due to that and what are from upgrading to 1.7.2 and buying both DLC packs

I've also got USI Life Support loaded, and it gives a message at the start saying it's not compatible with 1.7.2 but doesn't seem to be causing any problems so far,

Moving to Add-on Discussions.

38 minutes ago, SpaceCowboy330 said:

Anyways, I am looking for mods that I might not know about, fully compatiable with 1.7.2 and downloadable on CKAN without changing version. (I know many work still from 1.6). Anything you guys would recommmend for playing close to stock in 1.7.2 (Not looking for cheat mods). If you have played with any mods recently that you highly recommend, would love to know what they are.

My observation has been that practically everything is compatible with 1.7.2 (there haven't been a lot of mod-breaking changes in KSP in the last year).  However, when I say "compatible", I mean "if you install it, it will, in fact, work"-- that doesn't necessarily mean that the author has updated the CKAN metadata yet, though, so if that's part of your requirement, not sure if that would be a dealbreaker for you.  (It doesn't affect me personally, since I've never used CKAN and hand-install all the mods I use, for me "if it works, then it works" is the only relevant criterion.)

One good place to look would be on SpaceDock.  Not only is it a really popular place for modders to host their mods, but its set up so that every mod explicitly declares what KSP version it supports, so all you have to do is look for the "1.7.2" label, which tells you that "the author of this mod has explicitly stated that it works with 1.7.2.".  As a side bonus, many (perhaps most) of SpaceDock-hosted mods are also on CKAN, if for no other reason than that SpaceDock has built-in CKAN support (it's just one little checkbox for a modder, when they post their mod).

So I think SpaceDock might be a good place for you to look around.

38 minutes ago, SpaceCowboy330 said:

Basically, what mods are you using in 1.7.2 ?!?

In my case?

• My own, of course ;)
  • Navball Docking Alignment Indicator (this has been on my "I refuse to play the game without it" list for quite a few years now)
  • Scatterer, just 'coz it's gorgeous.  Fantastic eye candy, and it's pretty stable.  On the downside, it'll hammer your graphics card, so you have to have a pretty good one if you don't want your frame rate to drop.
  • TAC Life Support, just 'coz I like life support as a gameplay mechanic, and this one's by JPLRepo whom I like a lot.  (Life support isn't everyone's cup of tea, and also there are other good life support mods out there if that's what you're into.)

1 hour ago, Snark said:

Moving to Add-on Discussions.

My observation has been that practically everything is compatible with 1.7.2 (there haven't been a lot of mod-breaking changes in KSP in the last year).  However, when I say "compatible", I mean "if you install it, it will, in fact, work"-- that doesn't necessarily mean that the author has updated the CKAN metadata yet, though, so if that's part of your requirement, not sure if that would be a dealbreaker for you.  (It doesn't affect me personally, since I've never used CKAN and hand-install all the mods I use, for me "if it works, then it works" is the only relevant criterion.)

One good place to look would be on SpaceDock.  Not only is it a really popular place for modders to host their mods, but its set up so that every mod explicitly declares what KSP version it supports, so all you have to do is look for the "1.7.2" label, which tells you that "the author of this mod has explicitly stated that it works with 1.7.2.".  As a side bonus, many (perhaps most) of SpaceDock-hosted mods are also on CKAN, if for no other reason than that SpaceDock has built-in CKAN support (it's just one little checkbox for a modder, when they post their mod).

So I think SpaceDock might be a good place for you to look around.

In my case?

• My own, of course ;)
  • Navball Docking Alignment Indicator (this has been on my "I refuse to play the game without it" list for quite a few years now)
  • Scatterer, just 'coz it's gorgeous.  Fantastic eye candy, and it's pretty stable.  On the downside, it'll hammer your graphics card, so you have to have a pretty good one if you don't want your frame rate to drop.
  • TAC Life Support, just 'coz I like life support as a gameplay mechanic, and this one's by JPLRepo whom I like a lot.  (Life support isn't everyone's cup of tea, and also there are other good life support mods out there if that's what you're into.)

I have never actually tried TAC Life support. I will give it a go. I kinda went mod crazy up until 1.7.2, at one point I had 103 mods installed according to CKAN. I search on SpaceDock from time to time. I will give it a look and see if I can't find something I havent used yet. Also on the hunt for visual mods I haven't used yet. I really loved Astronomer Visual Pack, SVE, SVT... and recently tried GEAlite, and yea scatterer is an outstanding mod as well.  I did use better burn time, indicator lights, and JX2 Antenna up until 1.7.2 , awesome mods btw. 

I can finally dock, and rendezvous after 400 hours of cheating with mech jeb and hyperedit lol, I will def add nav ball dock align indicator, never used that before. Im getting on SpaceDock now.  Gonna try TAC support too. Thank you! 

I'll use your topic if you don't mind SpaceCowboy330 :)

Looking for planets mod. I'm considering this one JNSQ , but it rescales stock system a little and i'd like to avoid that. Can someone remommend anything similar (except OPM, i used it in my previos career, now looking for sth new)?

Second recommendation I need is on comprehensive life support system. By comprehensive I mean all necessary parts included (for ex. TAC LS is cool, but it requires third party greenhouse-mod to create a loop).

1 hour ago, falcoon said:

Looking for planets mod. I'm considering this one JNSQ , but it rescales stock system a little and i'd like to avoid that. Can someone remommend anything similar (except OPM, i used it in my previos career, now looking for sth new)?

Second recommendation I need is on comprehensive life support system. By comprehensive I mean all necessary parts included (for ex. TAC LS is cool, but it requires third party greenhouse-mod to create a loop).

There is a long discussion thread in this sub forum on all the LS mods. I'd search and read that. It is a little old but still is relevant

5 hours ago, falcoon said:

• Galileo's Planet Pack is excellent:  has great artwork, interesting planet design (i.e. interesting gameplay challenges).  And if you want variety/novelty, it completely replaces the stock solar system, so it's an all-new environment.
  • New Horizons is another fun one.  Adds a bunch of new planets with interesting gameplay challenges.  Keeps all the stock planets, but completely rearranges the solar system (e.g. Kerbin is still the homeworld... but now it's a moon of a ringed gas giant).
  • If you want something low-key, there's my own Snarkiverse, which doesn't add any new planets at all but rearranges the solar system for new and interesting gameplay challenges.

There are plenty of other good ones out there; these are just ones that I've played and enjoyed myself (in addition to OPM, of course).

5 minutes ago, falcoon said:

Although I just acknowledged that Kopernicus doesn't work with 1.7.2 :(

Yes, but that's temporary.  It just means that it hasn't been signed off yet for 1.7.2. compatibility.  The Kopernicus author always gets a Kopernicus update out as soon as possible when KSP updates.

5 minutes ago, falcoon said:

Can't wait when mods won't became incompatibile just because version number changes.

That's not a thing.  For Kopernicus specifically, it will always be that way, because for various good reasons the author has deliberately coded it to be locked to the current version of KSP.  When KSP updates, Kopernicus requires a new release to work on the new KSP, by design.  The author's made it pretty clear that that design decision won't be changing.

For mods other than Kopernicus, they generally "just work" on new KSP versions; it's pretty rare for mods to break on KSP updates, these days.

In your particular case, Kopernicus is the only thing that's holding you up.  Just be patient, I'm sure there will be a 1.7.2-compatible version out soon.  (And please don't go to the Kopernicus thread to ask for an ETA... the author gets enough of that kind of thing already.  It'll be ready when it's ready, just be patient.)  ;)

4 minutes ago, Snark said:

For mods other than Kopernicus, they generally "just work" on new KSP versions

I know, that's the reason of my disappointment... the only one, so crucial Kopernicus, doesn't work :) . I understand that everyone got real life, modders too ;)

Sometimes I just got a strange impression devs release new version as soon as they see all important mods have been updated, so we can never play fully modded latest release :lol:

On 7/11/2019 at 7:11 AM, falcoon said:

Ive used out planet mods for a long time, I really enjoy that... breifly I was using a mod that had other galaxies and required warp drive/warp engines to make it too... it was really well modeled, and gigantic, trying to find it again... 

P.S. @ snark so happy Kopernicus is finally updated ANNNNDD Commnunity Resource Pack. xD 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.