KSP Spinoff Game?

I think what makes KSP special would be lost if spun off into any other genre.  The world certainly doesn't need another space shooter, and there's no shortage of space RTS games or tycoon games.

So, none, I guess.  There's still plenty of room for KSP to grow, but I think it should stay put in its genre.

A "build your own plane and fly with others in real time" kind of spin-off. Semi-realistic and highly moddable atmospheric flight sim with multiplayer.

Still, with ragdoll kerbals that can EVA. They are a very good mascot IMO.

Edited by Wjolcz

On 7/11/2019 at 5:04 AM, Geonovast said:

I think what makes KSP special would be lost if spun off into any other genre.  The world certainly doesn't need another space shooter, and there's no shortage of space RTS games or tycoon games.

Well one possible idea would be a sort of hybrid of KSP + RPG.  Jeb build a rocket in his backyard from junk, launches into space, finds junked bits of other spaceships in orbit or on the planets/moons.  From studying them he gets access to new parts.  He also gets experience from visiting different planets/moons etc.  With the experience he can upgrade his skills and use those upgraded skills + the new parts to design/build better rockets.  That might work as a spinoff.  (Though the flying to other places would be central to both games, and it might be too similar to work as a spinoff).

On 7/10/2019 at 7:47 PM, VITAS said:

Hi,

related to my "future" thread:

Another question:

What kind of spinoff Game would you like to see?

(e.g. RTS)

the idea of KSP's building system has the capacity to go in radically different directions to what it does right now.

so, the same as KSP but it's multiplayer and you're making defenses and vehicles for a kerbal civil war. alternatively it's single player still but there are a bunch of hostile kerbals trying to attack you with various wacky contraptions. 

this would lead players to make ever more complex and powerful tanks and mechs to fight eachother 

people start long term servers and claim some real estate on an instance of kerbin, start to defend it.

features like the space center and cities are part of the game, and capturing a space center allows the player to use some of the KSP parts to make satelites. 

Edited by aruoch

" the same as KSP but it's multiplayer and you're making defenses and vehicles for a kerbal civil war "

What i especialy like about KSP is that it doesnt need guns, fighting and killing to be entertaining.

I usualy direct people who want to kill helpless creatures towards minecraft. :>

Edited by VITAS

1 hour ago, VITAS said:

What i especialy about KSP is that it doesnt need guns, fighting and killing to be entertaining.

This completely.

...and a Kerbal racing game where you build your car.  It will force Squad or whoever works on it to actually work on wheel code and not #BlameUnity.

Imagine games that link into each other.
Instead of a dlc just adding a new function a game module could add racing to ksp and when you build a car you get that option to go to a race.

Are you talking about mariokart levels of racing?

1 hour ago, VITAS said:

Are you talking about mariokart levels of racing?

I don't think the items of Mario Kart fit in the Kerbal verse.  It again goes back to my opinion that Kerbal's are non-violent.  I think the mere act of having an abundance of options to build your racer would be an interesting enough.

7 hours ago, SRB said:

A totally aircraft game with more airfields to fly to would be nice.

Unless you insist on having kerbal pilots, I think HarvesteR might have you covered:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/977920/BALSA_Model_Flight_Simulator/

I haven't checked but it wouldn't surprise me if someone had modded kerbals in somehow...

7 hours ago, VITAS said:

" the same as KSP but it's multiplayer and you're making defenses and vehicles for a kerbal civil war "

What i especialy like about KSP is that it doesnt need guns, fighting and killing to be entertaining.

I usualy direct people who want to kill helpless creatures towards minecraft. :>

yeah well in reality you're simulating an aerospace company and the game just added boston dynamics as an expansion pack.

the fact is that the only reason boston dynamics doesn't mount weapons to those robots is that they aren't ready yet

the armory mods are pretty ubiquitously popular and considering the game lets you make literal mecha, had an entire expansion for it it seems like a no brainer direction to go in

Edited by aruoch

17 minutes ago, aruoch said:

yeah well in reality you're simulating an aerospace company and the game just added boston dynamics as an expansion pack.

the fact is that the only reason boston dynamics doesn't mount weapons to those robots is that they aren't ready yet

the armory mods are pretty ubiquitously popular and considering the game lets you make literal mecha, had an entire expansion for it it seems like a no brainer direction to go in

??? Boston Dynamics specializes in autonomous systems, obviously with military applications.

The robotics part in BG much more mimic what ABB (Asea Brown Bovery) does, which has much more of a civilian angle and not necessarily defense related (I'm sure there are ABB robots which are used in military applications, but it's not a military contractor (or to-be) like Boston Dynamics). So saying that it's a no-brainer that a spin-off would be military is, at the very least, disputable.

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

??? Boston Dynamics specializes in autonomous systems, obviously with military applications.

The robotics part in BG much more mimic what ABB (Asea Brown Bovery) does, which has much more of a civilian angle and not necessarily defense related (I'm sure there are ABB robots which are used in military applications, but it's not a military contractor (or to-be) like Boston Dynamics). So saying that it's a no-brainer that a spin-off would be military is, at the very least, disputable.

why are you trying to make this more complicated than it is

sell mechs to weebs is like sell water to desert

49 minutes ago, aruoch said:

the armory mods are pretty ubiquitously popular

I'm also going to have to disagree on this one. There are plenty of people who use them, but trying to say they're ubiquitous is like trying to say Realism Overhaul is ubiquitous.

I agree with KSK etc. The armoury mods are extremely depressing and they represent an aspect of humanity I hate. Why do people need to change peaceful exploration into a game of death and destruction?

Spoiler

TxY10sv.jpg

KAKROWA.jpg

The above images from the end of Kerbfleet: A Jool Odyssey, Ch19 Their Finest Hour, by Kuzzter.

Edited by fulgur

48 minutes ago, KSK said:

Personally I find the armory mods depressing but each to their own. 

yeah, me too, mostly because they're totally pointless in singleplayer KSP with no actual reason for them. would be less tragic if i could actually use them for something, like. 

Just now, fulgur said:

I agree with KSK etc. The armoury mods are extremely depressing and they represent an aspect of humanity I hate.

Hide contents

TxY10sv.jpg

KAKROWA.jpg-

yea you're making ICBMs in KSP hate to break it to you pal. 

The point is not that they are pointless! The point is that death and destruction are in themselves inherently pointless and evil. I do not understand why people would wantonly add in destruction to a peaceful game. The only time I would ever agree with that sort of thing is in self defence, when all other options are expired.

And I am not making ICBMs. ICBMs are designed to explode and kill. My rockets and (when I have RAPIERs unlocked) spaceplanes are designed to explore the Kerbin system + whatever planet packs I have. No rocket built by my space program is designed to kill any kerbal and I hope none will.

Also, we are now off topic. I would prefer not to have a spinoff game, but I would not mind one where you manage a base or station in different places in the stock system. It should be equally mod-able so you could tie it into KSP if you had, say, OPM or TAC-LS.

Edited by fulgur

I think its because games are about trying out things you arent be able to do in reality.

And most people able to play ksp today havent been close to a conflict zone.

I accept Stuff like BDarmory as a mod but it would break my heard if kerbals would get officialy send to war.

Just now, VITAS said:

I think its because games are about trying out things you arent be able to do in reality.

And most people able to play ksp today havent been close to a conflict zone.

I accept Stuff like BDarmory as a mod but it would break my heard if kerbals would get officialy send to war.

if it makes you feel better i'd considered suggesting KSP Kerbama, the quest to create the perfect drone to find kerbsama kebladen 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.