KSP Spinoff Game?

Who siad that kerbals are like the usa?

Maybe the drone is just for delivering snacks to donald kerman.

(Because the other kerbals find his oudlandish skin color as funny as we do on earth)

Edited by VITAS

5 minutes ago, fulgur said:

The point is not that they are pointless! The point is that death and destruction are in themselves inherently pointless and evil. I do not understand why people would wantonly add in destruction to a peaceful game. The only time I would ever agree with that sort of thing is in self defence, when all other options are expired.

And I am not making ICBMs. ICBMs are designed to explode and kill. My rockets and (when I have RAPIERs unlocked) spaceplanes are designed to explore the Kerbin system + whatever planet packs I have. No rocket built by my space program is designed to kill any kerbal and I hope none will.

Also, we are now off topic. I would prefer not to have a spinoff game, but I would not mind one where you manage a base or station in different places in the stock system. It should be equally mod-able so you could tie it into KSP if you had, say, OPM or TAC-LS.

KSP's game concepts and game loop might be peaceful but whenever you design a rocket that can reach space you're designing something that can take a warhead to another continent and even without the warhead kinetic kill weapons are just dropped from space with no warhead. it's a game that is heavily involved in simulating high altitude jets. the one most people think of is the SR-71 blackbird, a basically invulnerable in it's time warplane. that's why a KSP aerospace spinoff would be neat, because it's already halfway there

>"Also, we are now off topic. I would prefer not to have a spinoff game, but I would not mind one where you manage a base or station in different places in the stock system. It should be equally mod-able so you could tie it into KSP if you had, say, OPM or TAC-LS."

i totally agree a more base-oriented game would be sweet - perhaps if in KSP we drop off a base module, then the new game takes a snapshot of the planet it's on and you start from the snapshot, similar to how you could carry over your character in mass effect

Its more about: you could but should you?

You can build missiles in vanilla ksp but should you encourage it?

It boils down to: should the ksp universe get violent?

would that game be RTS like anno ?

Singleplayer or multiplayer?

Turnbased?

Just now, VITAS said:

Its more about: you could but should you?

You can build missiles in vanilla ksp but should you encourage it?

It boils down to: should the ksp universe get violent?

would that game be RTS like anno ?

Singleplayer or multiplayer?

Turnbased?

idk the more you talk about it planetary invasions are really boring, the base building is a better idea

Just now, VITAS said:

Hmm ksp would need two factions to make competition even possible.

Basebuilding could also be against "nature" itself (like its now where its against gravity)

i was thinking make it more like an age of empires type thing where you have at least 8 different nations, but taking away the way KSP moves stuff around would remove skill base and just clicking to order is part of RTS standard game design. but i guess even if they did that they could keep the VAB because it'd be taking stats of stuff you make like a ksp vehicle. i mean ksp already gives you a price for everything. 

the reason this is a great idea for an rts is that it turns something like starcraft, where there is only 1 option for each team for unit types, up to basically unlimited diversity in unit composition and unit types. there's no preparing for what could come in a fight against you - people have made fully functional metal gears! and what are you going to come with, a puny tank?  

you see my point. this would start the ultimate arms race just like KSP started space race and delta V dick measuring. 

yeah i agree about that with basebuilding, i was thinking life support unless you're smart enough to set up on laythe, food, heating and fuel mining, water, metal.  but if you set up on laythe you have options for wooden houses etc but you might get eaten by dinosaurs. so then you'd have to hunt and domesticate the dinosaurs, because we're PG-13 so we're using tranquilisers.

1 minute ago, VITAS said:

Hmm ksp would need two factions to make competition even possible.

Basebuilding could also be against "nature" itself (like its now where its against gravity)

also if they made a base building dlc it should be accessable on any location by anyone, IE space, asteroid base, any planet, any moon etc. just so there's no skill cap for activating the dlc. it'd just be way easier if you can fly out a full mission with mining equipment up the wazoo beforehand. 

I was thinking more like: you build a craft with pieces to build your base, the game flies it to the location based on dV requirements, transfer windows etc and it arrives on the surface, where you start assembly. You have to make it self sufficient and also make the KSP profitable if you want supplies sent in from home. I was thinking more of a resource management and base expansion game, with multiple factors to make up for the absence of actual flight. I was also thinking you could be able to launch craft from your base.

Just now, fulgur said:

I was thinking more like: you build a craft with pieces to build your base, the game flies it to the location based on dV requirements, transfer windows etc and it arrives on the surface, where you start assembly. You have to make it self sufficient and also make the KSP profitable if you want supplies sent in from home. I was thinking more of a resource management and base expansion game, with multiple factors to make up for the absence of actual flight. I was also thinking you could be able to launch craft from your base.

for it to make sense you have to be able to manufacture parts at the base... so that would mean you have to do mining.

maybe like if you're in a space colony you get an asteroid spawning close enough for a shuttle you start with to get to to get some extra resources idk

otherwise you'd just send out miners and gather mats

Getting back to the original question about a spinoff game from KSP: I'd love ho have a game like KSP that has an actual story to tell. Something like an adventure, where you need to build and fly rockets to proceed. Or XCOM like, where you have a story in an overlaid "world view" and then go onto missions from there. Maybe "dumb down" the engineering and flying part of KSP somewhat for that to keep the skillcap low and make it more approachable for a wider audience.

One issue with that, is that - at least in my book - SQUAD doesn't have a good track record for telling stories.

15 minutes ago, VITAS said:

Did they every try to tell a story?

Have you tried the stock missions from the Making History DLC? (O.K. I only played the first few.) I think that if they had a few good (and no bad) stories in there, then the mission builder would have been more successful. And, yes, the number of points you get in a mission is part of the story that this mission tells.

Hmmm... maybe the stock missions are so bad because at SQUAD nobody thought about telling a story with them.

Ah, yes. Youre right. I alos find the selection of the Kerbal version of "Hermann van Braun" as Tutorial Character in the stock game a problematic one.

We could replace him with Scott Kerman :P

Since squad had some developer fluctuation and isnt in charge of developing the game anymore, the ability to tell captivating storys could change.

This would be better suited to my "Future of KSP thread" but yes they missed to make kerbals more than green minions in the sense that most of them dont have a destinct caracter and we dont know much more about them except they are funny talking guys and gals who build explody rockets and like snacks.

Then again: we dont know much more about minecrafts lore either and that doesnt seem to stop people.

The question is: do we want to make up our own storys or do we want to play someone elses?

Edited by VITAS

I think a more 'behind-the-scenes'-type game would fit well, as in you control the Kerbal R&D, as some kind of wacky management game. Something similar to Theme Hospital, as Kerbals are inherently silly and bumbling. It would stylistically be similar to the official cinematics (this one in particular). It would also be nice if it filled in more Kerbal lore, i.e. explain how they can survive forever without food, why Kerbin has no cities, mystery goo, etc.

Edited by hieywiey

A KSP prequel.

Kerbals live in coastline caves, eat molluscs, and don't have spaceships.

A DLC: Ignition!
Try to light a fire without matches, just by rotating a wooden stick with mouse (thx, Breaking Ground).

Edited by kerbiloid

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2019 at 6:06 PM, Wjolcz said:

A "build your own plane and fly with others in real time" kind of spin-off. Semi-realistic and highly moddable atmospheric flight sim with multiplayer.

Still, with ragdoll kerbals that can EVA. They are a very good mascot IMO.

I feel like a co-op, maybe even multiplayer KSP spin-off/expansion would be great fun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.