Reading the dV map

I understand the dV map to get from Kerbin to LKO is 3400, another 950 gets me to the sun and then 90 more will get me to a fly-by Eve with another 80 to get into orbit and 1350 to circularize just over the atmo. So to get into orbit of Eve I would need 5850 (plus margin) to simply get to the orbit of Eve.

If I want to return from Eve to Kerbin what parts of that do I need to account for? Do I need to add the whole thing back or can I forget that 1330 that was used to circularize?

You need the whole thing back. The only times you can ignore numbers are when you use a gravity assist to get somewhere, or an aerobraking pass to slow down. Otherwise the process of burning fuel to change your orbits is "reversible".

4 hours ago, JBMCW2010 said:

I understand the dV map to get from Kerbin to LKO is 3400, another 950 gets me to the sun and then 90 more will get me to a fly-by Eve with another 80 to get into orbit and 1350 to circularize just over the atmo. So to get into orbit of Eve I would need 5850 (plus margin) to simply get to the orbit of Eve.

If I want to return from Eve to Kerbin what parts of that do I need to account for? Do I need to add the whole thing back or can I forget that 1330 that was used to circularize?

Think of it this way. you burned 1330 (+ the 80) to circularize at Eve after coming in from Kerbin, so you need 1330 to "un-circularize" from Eve (just like you needed 950 to do the same from Kerbin) and another 80 to keep going out to Kerbin. After that (and a minor mid-course correction or two to intersect Kerbin's atmosphere) is all you need to come down safely. Assuming  your craft can handle the atmospheric re-entry heating. Which is by far not a given :)

Edited by 5thHorseman
typo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.