1.7.3 Prop Part Help?!?

Hey Space Friends, 

I am having a lot of trouble getting prop blades to create life.. I made a video (wasn't sure how to post on here) on reddit. Not sure what exactly I am doing wrong... saw a comment on reddit to make sure inactive yaw pitch roll on blades themselves. Am I missing something else?!? I've spent two hours trying to figure this out, and I can't find any youtube tutorials yet?!? 

16 minutes ago, aeroeng14 said:

Okay I didn't know you had to deactivate those axes. I'm struggling to make barely functional props or rotor setups with the new parts and new action group axes.

So if you disable the yaw pitch roll, it is super stable... but I am missing something... I can not generate lift. I keep searching youtube hoping for a 1.7.3 prop tutorial, but I havent seen one yet. I am over two hours trying to get a capsule and a small tank to lift off.... 1 kerbal. I gotta be missing something. lol. 

1 hour ago, SpaceCowboy330 said:

So if you disable the yaw pitch roll, it is super stable... but I am missing something... I can not generate lift. I keep searching youtube hoping for a 1.7.3 prop tutorial, but I havent seen one yet. I am over two hours trying to get a capsule and a small tank to lift off.... 1 kerbal. I gotta be missing something. lol. 

Is it thrust you're missing, or lift?  Aside from the smallish effects of the props themselves, lift should work the same as on a jet plane.  If you're unable to get off the runway, you may want to trythe following:

• Add more wing area
  • Reduce weight
  • Increase angle of incidence (rotate wings so that the front end is higher than the back end)
  • Adjust landing gear so that your nose points up while on the runway
  • Increase pitch authority -- add more controllable surfaces, use bigger surfaces, slide the authority limiter up, and/or move your control surfaces to the front or back of the plane for better leverage
  • Add MOAR POWER in case you haven't reached your stall speed

39 minutes ago, Aegolius13 said:

Is it thrust you're missing, or lift?  Aside from the smallish effects of the props themselves, lift should work the same as on a jet plane.  If you're unable to get off the runway, you may want to trythe following:

• Add more wing area
  • Reduce weight
  • Increase angle of incidence (rotate wings so that the front end is higher than the back end)
  • Adjust landing gear so that your nose points up while on the runway
  • Increase pitch authority -- add more controllable surfaces, use bigger surfaces, slide the authority limiter up, and/or move your control surfaces to the front or back of the plane for better leverage
  • Add MOAR POWER in case you haven't reached your stall speed

Okay I figured out lift with the props now , didn't realize they were  installing flat xD. However, I can not figure out the yaw/pitch/roll on a two or four blade heli design. I created an ugly quadcopter , with two sets controlling yaw and two sets of blades controlling pitch. I am trying to fly helicopters specifically. I just realized I think your talking planes. That I can generate and then control with wings... I am currently beating my head agianst the wall trying to build a stable controlable helicopter , then endgame for 1.7.3 for me is to build a full 3d flight stunt helicopter. Before I get too far ahead of myself though... I can't seem to create a basic helicopter that is stable flight. 

You’re missing an important part of the equation, the blade deploy limit.

In addition to having the engine’s parameters displayed, also have one of the blade’s parameters displayed as well.

Ive been tying the engine torque to the main throttle.  I then tie the blade authority limiter to the translate forward/back keys (usually H and N I think).

Start with the blades authority at zero.  Then add some torque, on that helicopter 35% should be enough for the engines to reach max rpm of 460.

Once your engine is spinning at target speed (460 is default), then slowly increase your blade authority.  Once you get airborne, if you notice your rotor speed slowing down, add torque as needed to maintain rotor speed.

In a nutshell, the engine speed and torque does NOT produce lift, only rotational speed.  To produce lift, you also need to adjust blade angle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 4:42 PM, 18Watt said:

You’re missing an important part of the equation, the blade deploy limit.

In addition to having the engine’s parameters displayed, also have one of the blade’s parameters displayed as well.

Ive been tying the engine torque to the main throttle.  I then tie the blade authority limiter to the translate forward/back keys (usually H and N I think).

Start with the blades authority at zero.  Then add some torque, on that helicopter 35% should be enough for the engines to reach max rpm of 460.

Once your engine is spinning at target speed (460 is default), then slowly increase your blade authority.  Once you get airborne, if you notice your rotor speed slowing down, add torque as needed to maintain rotor speed.

In a nutshell, the engine speed and torque does NOT produce lift, only rotational speed.  To produce lift, you also need to adjust blade angle.

that does work though I have found that binding RPM limit instead of torque to the main throttle works better as it will gives you finer lift control than just using the blade authority controls

10 hours ago, epicfacecanada said:

that does work though I have found that binding RPM limit instead of torque to the main throttle works better as it will gives you finer lift control than just using the blade authority controls

I’ll have to try that, sounds like a great idea!  Do you still bind torque to anything, or just leave it full blast?

Thanks for that suggestion!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.