KSP doesn't like it big

Oicani

Video is very short, but let me explain:

I made a huge (huuuuuge) space station, so big that after loading for approximately 2 minutes it'd explode instantly on that switch from the camera pointing at the ground and then pointing at the ship.
I then used the instaorbit program to put it in an orbit.
Next, I made a little shuttle (with ion engines so I don't get stranded up there because I wasted all my fuel on orbital maneuvers), stablished orbit, caught up with the station, started the approach.
The video shows me 400m away from it, slowing down and going faster in relation the station, just approaching it, really. The thing is, the station is so massive it lags my PC to hell, to the point where I get 1 FPS avg. I had to speed it up in Vegas so you guys didn't die of boredom watching the video.
It passes by so fast (and renders so slowly) that I couldn't even turn the ship properly. A touch to the thrust became 15 seconds holding Shift down in the game, which means I couldn't do anything but watch my station fly past me (in approximately 2 frames).

One other thing: I noticed that, much like what happened to my previous space station rendezvous operation, the station broke, without me causing it. This one broke in like 30 pieces, while my previous station had its mast break on its own (even though it didn't when I put it in orbit).

What about you guys? Did this issue of big things breaking happen to you too? Did you ever make a big, cool space station and rendezvous with it?

Can you post the mods you used? Never seen that mod with the cameras, and i guess that was the reason that it started lagging? Because ksp needs to render the game from both your perspective and the crafts perspective aka twice the load. (correct me if am wrong)

Can you post the mods you used? Never seen that mod with the cameras, and i guess that was the reason that it started lagging? Because ksp needs to render the game from both your perspective and the crafts perspective aka twice the load. (correct me if am wrong)

They're on the YouTube description, but they are MechJeb, Romfarer's LazorSystem, MMI, Damned Robotics.

The lag isn't caused by the plugins or the rendering of the station per se. The station really is ridiculously big. I'm not 100% sure on these numbers, but the main mast is 30m long and it has 230 parts. Not to mention that the Truss pack, even though it looks great, is quite poly happy.

Here's a picture to show how it looks in the VAB:

ib0IV9t7GRy9NZ.png

By the way: I've used more plugins at once and it doesn't hit the FPS rate at all. It has nothing to do with it.

there is so much on your screen, it scares me, its like id need a degree on your itnerface to read it right. kinda reminds me of old school EQ

Haha, it's not really a lot, and you get used to most of it fast. :D

there's no automerge in here? dammit

As I said, the plugins barely affect the performance at all. I dare say that the plugins' invoking parts have a bigger hit on performance than the plugins themselves.

Yeah, the game uses very little gpu power.

it's using abut 34% of my 560 with all details maxed and fsaa/af maxed, and all fsaa options at max in the nv control panel.

Why are you all so puzzled? The lag is so obviously because of the ridiculous amount of parts the station has.

(By the way, which parts pack are those engines from?)

Those are the MMI ion engines.

And my ship has solar panels, too, and loads of them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.