Kerbal BG 1.7.3 Props. Pitch/Yaw/Roll???

Anyone know how the pitch/yaw/roll buttons effect the props in BG? I was hoping it would act like a swashplate for a heli but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Perhaps actuation speed is too slow?

16 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

Anyone know how the pitch/yaw/roll buttons effect the props in BG? I was hoping it would act like a swashplate for a heli but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Perhaps actuation speed is too slow?

They're all turned off by default.

If you mount a propeller / heli blade statically (e.g. attach it to the body of the ship, rather than on a spinning propeller), then turning these on will allow it to function like a control surface, same as any of the ailerons / steerable fins / etc.

2 hours ago, Snark said:

They're all turned off by default.

If you mount a propeller / heli blade statically (e.g. attach it to the body of the ship, rather than on a spinning propeller), then turning these on will allow it to function like a control surface, same as any of the ailerons / steerable fins / etc.

But will they function like a cyclic/swashplate in a heli?

The pitch/yaw/roll are turned on by default on 'helicopter' blades, off on the 'propeller' blades.

When these blades are mounted to a turbo-shaft or motor, pitch/yaw/roll do act as cyclic and collective. [Edit: only by coincidence]

However, the connection of these axes seems strange to me for a helicopter: pitch and yaw(!) work the cyclic, while roll works collective(!).   You need to try it with a turboshaft engine running at 5 RPM so you can see.  

My working theory is that Squad set things up this way thinking that for helicopters we would set control orientation up toward the sky, so we can have SAS hold 'radial out' relative to 'surface'.

Edited by OHara

Oops, no.  Pitch and yaw worked correctly as cyclic only by coincidence on a single-rotor helicopter with the rotor nearly centered over the CoM.   Trying now on a twin propeller, I cannot find a way to make the orientation controls control cyclic pitch.

In general they so seem to behave as normal control surfaces, as @Snark said except with instant actuation,
and a deploy-method that avoids the glitch we get with the former aero surfaces, allowing us to use deploy and deploy limit for collective blade-pitch.

Edit: The *roll* response of the Breaking Ground blades is reversed, whether the blades are on a rotor or the body of the craft.

Edited by OHara
correcting my correction

• 3 weeks later...

I have somewhat solved the cyclic problem in 1.7.3. I use a constant rotor rpm and use blade angle as collective. I have the blade direction axes inactive. I then turn my joystick 90 degrees on my desk so that normal reaction wheels will have the correct sense of movement with the control forward. using normal reaction wheels this way the gyroscopic effects mostly corrected for. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.