Unity Reducing Texture Quality

I've created at part with a 1024x diffuse and normal map. In Unity it looks right but when I write it for game and look at in KSP, I'm seeing a pretty drastic drop in resolution on both the normal and the diffuse, almost like its halved the resolution. Is this to be expected? Is some settings in Unity I'm missing? I've played with most of the settings but nothing seems to increase the quality.

This isn't a debate about appropriate texture sizes for parts, just trying to figure out how to get a good quality texture in the game through Unity.

EDIT: I'd add pics but my pic account is in maintenance...

Edited by GrinchWSLG

After you import a texture in unity if you click it some options should appear in the inspector tab. There are option for reducing resolution and changing compression. If you do change the compression look at for the file size because "true color" and "16 bit" compression options make the file size large.

http://grab.by/fRAE

Okay my last guess at the problem is the engine is mip mapping the texture. In case you don't know what that is the engine pretty much creates versions of your textures with lower resolutions. when you are far away from the object it will switch to a lower resolution mip map to save ram.

Figure%20-%20Mipmap%20Selection.jpg

Try maxing out your game and playing around with the settings in the settings.cfg file.

Okay my last guess at the problem is the engine is mip mapping the texture. In case you don't know what that is the engine pretty much creates versions of your textures with lower resolutions. when you are far away from the object it will switch to a lower resolution mip map to save ram.

Try maxing out your game and playing around with the settings in the settings.cfg file.

This is what I'm thinking its doing, unless the conversion is just really terrible. Is there a settings.cfg guide somewhere for increasing graphics settings?

Does your part have a normal map? Invert the green channel on your normal.

That has pretty much nothing to do with this problem.

Heh, I finally fixed it with the regedit. Had to force the graphics setting. There's still some blockiness on my normal map, but I think that's a result of the unity conversion, the textures look much more acceptable now.

Thanks for your help guys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.