Finish the storyline in next DLC?

Hello!

WARNING:The following info contains spoilers related to KSP easter eggs. Proceed at your own risk. If you do not want spoilers, turn back now.

My suggestion for the next DLC would be for the original story line idea to be finished. Right now all that exists for it is the SSTV transmitter on Duna,transmitting an image of the 4 precursors and their government's symbol. I think it would be awesome if the net DLC finished the original idea, connecting all the easter eggs together and providing a sorta optional "end game" for lack of better words, to KSP. Each easter egg would give some kind of clue to either the next easter egg, or to the final end goal planet,which may have some kind of super engine or something that can be unlocked (or just something awesome to explore)

Information about this taken from:https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/List_of_easter_eggs#Easter_Egg_Narrative

I'd heard about the SSTV before, but didn't realise there was so much backstory originally planed!

Not sure how I feel about it though.. I mean its kind of cool but at the same time takes the game in a very different direction to where its going right now

Combine the Duna SSTV signal with Ondřej Neff's "White Cane 7.62" novel.

• Bílá hůl ráže 7,62 (White Cane 7.62) – a horror story describes an alien invasion through hijacking a visual signal coming from an interstellar probe captured by the aliens. The modified signal triggers a process similar to a buffer overflow in a human brain, rewriting the victim's DNA and turning it into a copy of the alien attacker. A very similar theme was used independently by David Langford in the short story "BLIT". The invasion is thwarted with the help of a blind stunt driver trained to shoot on sound, who, to add to the conflict, happens to be a pacifist.

I would love to have some actual story in KSP, or in a spinoff from KSP. But I'm with @MR L A here, I don't know how well this would fit with most of the community. If there is a story added to the existing KSP, then something like the original storyline would indeed be a good choice. But using actual SSTV signals is IMHO not a good idea, it would be better to stay in-game with the decoding.

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

The modified signal triggers a process similar to a buffer overflow in a human brain, rewriting the victim's DNA

Ah, no! Just, no!

A story for KSP... I have four of directions:

1. "storyless" like Minecraft, before the introduction of The End. The story is what you decide it is.

2. "weak end" like Minecraft, after the introduction of The End. Once  you discover it, it's there if you want to... but we just hacked something together because some people can not deal with free form play.

3. "strong end" like Portal. Fairly free form tutorials, hinting at a deeper plot line. Then once the tutorials are done then the story begins.

4. "event plot" like Alien Legacy. Similar to the World Firsts contracts, but story based, and can be run in parallel.

The problem is that writing a plot over top of a game like KSP, after the fact, requires serious skill. And may require changes to the game to get a good story to fit in.

I'm not saying Squad and co. can't do it, and do it well. But, it will take a fair bit to do it right. And a bit more than, I think, many realize it will.

My personal stance is simply a weak no to an overall game plot.

I’ve always felt that while Sandbox should be the way it is now, Career—or maybe, more specifically another game mode, Storyline—should have some randommization that requires the development of a space-faring nation:

• Orbits should be randomized (within boundaries) and Science is needed to get their orbital parameters. Perhaps with some extra observations (new scientific equipment needed!)
  • In similar fashion, atmospheric data should only be known once measured.
  • The game can be a hunt for alien artifacts that each point to the next one. Each of them hidden on a planet/moon (random selected) and requiring special technology that comes with the find—so you cannot stumble onto the final artifact by accident.
  • The final artifact will send a mysterious message into the universe, signalling the aliens 2001 style. It can suggest that Kerbalkind will enter a new phase in its history — an open end or a suggestion for a sequel,

The end of the game is clearly just that—the end  of  the game, not of the story—but it gives the player a set of goals that changes every time and provides goals that some my find missing right now,

Hm... sounds not bad, even better if these engines would not be able to unlock in science/career mode and you need to land near them to get them... great! now it's just a matter of selling my skins in CS:GO if it is going to be like that.

Regarding a storyline, I'm not sure I'd want KSP to actually have one that plays out via plot.

I'd much prefer we get given small snippets of lore over time that tease information about ancient Kerbals (it's obvious at this point that they had interplanetary ancestors) - stuff like the face and SSTV signal on Duna, the Kraken, the ruins on Val, the pyramids near the Dessert launch site. Small bits and bobs that are added from time to time. Stuff that when discovered, incentivizes you with science via contracts to set up a base, collect samples, data, reputation, etc. Nothing necessary, but stuff that'll reward you for your curiosity with snippets about ancient Kerbals.

I see this as the perfect non-invasive way of including a story.

Edited by Bartybum

• 1 month later...

I want this and I don't understand why sandbox players have to chime in to try to put down other people's style of play. They wouldn't be affected. I'd like story content and ways to find the easter eggs other than by chance (never going to happen) or looking them up online.