Stock BG KerboProp Aircraft Speed Challenge!

Unfortunately 16 'S' type blades don't fit on the small turboshaft engine without serious clipping. Even with 12 blades there's a small amount of clipping and when I tried 12 on the Arrow it went slower.

So I went the other way and tried 6 blades per engine and saw the speed increase to more than 298m/s. This time best speed was achieved at low altitudes. Go figure.

Adding another eight engines made absolutely no difference to the top speed but for sheer amusement, it is the 24 engine "Barbwire Canoe" in the video below. It gets down to 4m above the water and it's a pity there's no ground effect in the game.

Speed run starts at 4:21 on the game clock. Speed 298.6m/s.

10 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Alright. Another run at 301.7. No damage. No PRE. No runway-destroying.
Warning: music

No runway destroying because you didn't land on it :confused: Also, the speed record is the SLOWEST speed displayed during the 10 second run. I saw 301.5, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong by providing timestamp of start/stop.

I have added you to the leaderboard, as it is an impressive craft and I believe you are "trying" to comply with the rules, but please make sure to read the fine print for any future entries, Thanks!

3 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Unfortunately 16 'S' type blades don't fit on the small turboshaft engine without serious clipping. Even with 12 blades there's a small amount of clipping and when I tried 12 on the Arrow it went slower.

So I went the other way and tried 6 blades per engine and saw the speed increase to more than 298m/s. This time best speed was achieved at low altitudes. Go figure.

Adding another eight engines made absolutely no difference to the top speed but for sheer amusement, it is the 24 engine "Barbwire Canoe" in the video below. It gets down to 4m above the water and it's a pity there's no ground effect in the game.

Speed run starts at 4:21 on the game clock. Speed 298.6m/s.

Super impressive! Appreciate your adherence to the "spirit" of the challenge. Are we approaching the theoretical maximum for LF power prop aircraft?

2 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

No runway destroying because you didn't land on it :confused: Also, the speed record is the SLOWEST speed displayed during the 10 second run. I saw 301.5, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong by providing timestamp of start/stop.

I have added you to the leaderboard, as it is an impressive craft and I believe you are "trying" to comply with the rules, but please make sure to read the fine print for any future entries, Thanks!

Super impressive! Appreciate your adherence to the "spirit" of the challenge. Are we approaching the theoretical maximum for LF power prop aircraft?

Alright 301.5. Sorry for not landing on the runway I didn't see that part.

• 4 months later...
On 7/17/2019 at 8:41 AM, g00bd0g said:

This challenge is simple. Go as fast as possible in level flight at any altitude using the new BG motors and prop parts. The spirit of the challenge is to create "realistic" (in the Kerbal universe) prop driven aircraft. This means stock parts only, stock props or rotors for propulsion only, no reaction wheels and no torque enabled, no cheaty clipping or assembly techniques. For example, you can put parts inside of structural tube, but not clipped into a fuel tank. You cannot clip 100 motors into each other, etc...

• Must takeoff from the runway, perform the speed run, and land on the runway, with same parts you started with.
  • No parachutes for vertical landing, though drogue chutes for decelerating are fine...
  • Must maintain altitude +/- 10 meters over 10 seconds for the speed run. Lowest speed value displayed will be your record.
  • No parts or physics mods. Graphics and info mods allowed.
  • I will maintain Electric (including Fuel Cell) and LF categories.
  • Video or sufficient pics for evidence required, craft file may be requested for validation.
  • Must provide craft name, claimed speed, and timestamp start and stop for speed run.

I'll kick it off with my Kornier Ko 335!

https://kerbalx.com/g00bd0g/Kornier-Ko-335

Leader Boards

Electric

Pds314 - unnamed? - 301.5 *(did not land on runway)

g00bd0g - Kornier Ko 335 - 290.5

LF

mystified - Barbwire Canoe - 298.6

mystified - Broad Arrow - 291.2

Frozen_Heart - Pr-1C Biplane - 150

i visit you link bot working

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.