Seismograph not registering impacts after facepalm

I planted a seismograph (with control center and OX STAT) on the Mun, and it was good to go. I deorbited a primitive station near it, and got the message that it couldn't record the data because it had no power: it was on the dark side of the Mun at the time of impact. At the time of impact, I was focused on a lander just departing LKO. Ah well, I have a transfer stage inbound to try again, making sure it had sunlight.

So my lander established Mun orbit, then did a de-orbit burn to land the transfer stage near the seismograph, while the lander landed nearby. I heard the kaboom of the transfer stage crashing (it wasn't an Earth-shattering kaboom), but no message. I checked over the science station, and everything looked good. Then I quickloaded to just after the de-orbit burn, and had a scientist at the science station pick up and re-deploy the control station and seismograph. After another perfect landing, I still had no message, no science results.

So now I ask, before trying again and riding the stage down, has anyone else had this happen? This seems to be a bug, so I guess I should head over to the bugtracker. Can anyone reproduce it?

E: and yes, I have some basic mods but no scientific or part mods 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

I think this was one of the less great bits of BG. It generates little science for all the effort required to trigger it and, as you discovered, triggering it at all is sometimes bugged.

I have de-orbited a large craft with near-full tanks directly at an experiment on Mimus and missed the site by a couple of meters and still got zero science. 

I don't think it would hurt if this experiment could be triggered with much smaller impacts - say a Kerbal jumping a few meters.    

Edited by Foxster

1 hour ago, Xd the great said:

I crashed a almost empty 2.5m fuel tank, and got 75 science. Timewrap is key, but I am still unsure how much time is needed for all that to be recorded, compiled and sent back home.

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure the first time I did an impact experiment, I rode it down and got the results immediately after impact

Hmp. Several reloads later it finally decided to register impacts. Then another run didn't. Then it did again, on a sequence I was happy with, and made sure to save. But I had to ride it down to make it work, when it worked before when on rails. Weird.

5 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Hmp. Several reloads later it finally decided to register impacts. Then another run didn't. Then it did again, on a sequence I was happy with, and made sure to save. But I had to ride it down to make it work, when it worked before when on rails. Weird.

Should it be registered as a bug?

Hmm, well obviously it has no power, that explains it.   This is a case of how it works not being how it should work.  It SHOULD have an amount of reserve power and data spool capacity.

It SHOULD make them have a reserve power to be able to record the data valuable data from a specified number of impacts and transmit it later.  Each transmitter unit should be able to spool so much data for transmission, as well as each science unit.

Considering this is a case of a should behavior, instead of a bug, you should probably file a feature request, as that is how players of Indie games by responsive companies should function. :cool:  I don't have time to right now, but I can do it for you if you later, just reply to this message saying so or I might forget.  (Always love helping another Kerbal fan, and I want this feature too.)

Edited by Ruedii

1 hour ago, Ruedii said:

Hmm, well obviously it has no power, that explains it.   This is a case of how it works not being how it should work.  It SHOULD have an amount of reserve power and data spool capacity.

It SHOULD make them have a reserve power to be able to record the data valuable data from a specified number of impacts and transmit it later.  Each transmitter unit should be able to spool so much data for transmission, as well as each science unit.

Considering this is a case of a should behavior, instead of a bug, you should probably file a feature request, as that is how users of Indie games should function. :cool:  I don't have time to right now, but I can do it for you if you later, just reply to this message saying so or I might forget.  (Always love helping another Kerbal fan, and I want this feature too.)

Yep, deployable battery is nice.

However, we are discussing why sometimes an impact is not registered.

I have 2 seismic stations on minmus. I crashed a probe at 2000m/s (8 separatrons). 1 gave 350 science, the other, in the night, gave 23 science and started spamming for no power.

Tried again on Mun, this time focusing on the impact probe. Not results recorded.

8 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Yep, deployable battery is nice.

However, we are discussing why sometimes an impact is not registered.

I have 2 seismic stations on minmus. I crashed a probe at 2000m/s (8 separatrons). 1 gave 350 science, the other, in the night, gave 23 science and started spamming for no power.

Tried again on Mun, this time focusing on the impact probe. Not results recorded.

Oh, having a deployable "reserve power unit" battery would also be a nice solution.  (Can power experiments but not transmitters.)  I think there should be one in each solar unit but having a higher capacity one that can be deployed would be useful as well. 

Additionally the transmitter and science units should have a spooller of reasonable capacity. and an addition "Data recording unit" should be deployable as well.   You should be able to set the transmitter to only transmit when spool is full or under direct power.

Edited by Ruedii
Moar ideas.

2 hours ago, Ruedii said:

Hmm, well obviously it has no power, that explains it.   This is a case of how it works not being how it should work.  It SHOULD have an amount of reserve power and data spool capacity

Well, yeah, expected result. I think you missed the next paragraph where I made sure the next impact was while the science station was in sunlight, but I received no message of any kind about the impact, aside from it being noted in the F3 window. 

Yeah, a battery would be nice 

• 1 month later...

How far away was the impact? I do my best to get them as close as possible (like <300 m) because you seem to get penalised for distance. I think it might be necessary to have focus on the impacting craft also which is pretty much necessary if you're going to get it to crash as close as possible to the sensor.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.