jpinard

For the love of God - someone please mod out sounds of ground science data transfers

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I have to keep muting my game (annoying as I really abhor silence) when I do anything in warp because I have a slew of ground based science experiments collecting data on the moon and Kerbin.  And since I'm doing tons of Moon and Minmus based travel the data transfers are constantly going off.  Can anyone do a mod that just removes the ground based data transfer sounds?  I like to hear them for other stuff.

Edited by jpinard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, jpinard said:

I have to keep muting my game (annoying as I really abhor silence) when I do anything in warp because I have a slew of ground based science experiments collecting data on the moon and Kerbin.  And since I'm doing tons of Moon and Minmus based travel the data transfers are constantly going off.  Can anyone do a mod that just removes the ground based data transfer sounds?  I like to hear them for other stuff.

sounds like a great opening to learn modding! Good luck.  There are tons of resources all over the forums on how to get started even if you have had little to no prior experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What sounds? :D

I use Chatterer and disabled its "SSTV on science transfer" option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HansAcker said:

What sounds? :D

I use Chatterer and disabled its "SSTV on science transfer" option.

Oh that sound is not stock but from Chatterer?  And I can disable it there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, jpinard said:

Oh that sound is not stock but from Chatterer?  And I can disable it there?

I had to check to be sure. Yes, stock science transfer is silent.

You can disable the "SSTV on science transmitted" sound in the Chatterer settings:

Spoiler

4TWKRVT.png

Edit: In the end, I patched Chatterer to ignore deployed science transmissions. This still leaves the flurry of messages but I expect that we might see an update to take care of that, yet. When the deployed science instruments were first released, people complained that they accumulated but never transmitted their science points. Now they send every little bit as soon as it's available. :kiss:

Edited by HansAcker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're the author of chatterer?  Thank you so much!  I couldn't imagine playing the game without it.  Thanks! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jpinard said:

You're the author of chatterer?  Thank you so much!  I couldn't imagine playing the game without it.  Thanks! :)

No, I am not the author of Chatterer. That honour belongs to @Athlonic :D

What I meant was that I had a poke about in the source code and compiled a patched version for my use that ignores science transmission from any experiments with the word "deployed" in their ID string. The code change is bigger than I expected at first and I didn't test it for unwanted side effects, so it's probably not cleaned up enough to propose a change to official Chatterer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Deployed science kits are buggy and need work for sure. 

 

What gets me is the lack of battery and how part of the message spam from the controller  is due to not being able to send science back to Kerbin occurs because the deployed science is on the dark side of a planet not getting sunlight on the solar panels.

Sending electronics powered by solar panels to space without a battery is a DOH! moment and not the type of methodical thinking that got humans or kerbals to the moon. 

What is even more silly on this topic of a lack of a battery is the deployed science controller kit actually tries to the send the message back to kerbin when there is NO power. 

Squad, be logical and methodical by  adding a battery backup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 7:35 PM, fragtzack said:

 

Deployed science kits are buggy and need work for sure. 

 

What gets me is the lack of battery and how part of the message spam from the controller  is due to not being able to send science back to Kerbin occurs because the deployed science is on the dark side of a planet not getting sunlight on the solar panels.

Sending electronics powered by solar panels to space without a battery is a DOH! moment and not the type of methodical thinking that got humans or kerbals to the moon. 

What is even more silly on this topic of a lack of a battery is the deployed science controller kit actually tries to the send the message back to kerbin when there is NO power. 

Squad, be logical and methodical by  adding a battery backup.

No way to tie an RTG into it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, jpinard said:

No way to tie an RTG into it?

There's an RTG part as well - more expensive and further up the tech tree than the solar panels.  So you can power things either way if you want.

I'll admit there's both some value to the notice and that it's kinda stupid - it does let you know if you've underpowered your deployment, or if you've done something like triggered the seismic experiment when it was unpowered.  So it's good to have notification that you don't have power...

On the other hand, if you don't have power because of the day/night cycle, really the experiments should just quietly go to sleep for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know what the name of it is?  I'm having difficulty finding an RTG that fits in the same storage box as those ground based experiments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 2:59 AM, DStaal said:

On the other hand, if you don't have power because of the day/night cycle, really the experiments should just quietly go to sleep for a while.

Well, there is this in the DEPLOYEDSCIENCE configuration node:

ScienceTimeDelay = 60 //Calculate science for timed experiments every x seconds.
DataSendFailedTimeDelay = 600 //Time delay when science transmission fails before retrying in x seconds.

It doesn't seem to work right now as changing the numbers didn't have any effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.