[1.9.x-1.12.x] HeapPadder - Pads the heap to minimize the garbage collection

linuxgurugamer

A bit confused about this, even after reading all the comments.

Is this mod useful for an Apple MAC, OS/X system with 16GB? (NOT running Windows)

I frequently have Safari and Mail open and running while using KSP planet packs. Smaller planet packs run for quite some time before the stuttering starts to happen.  As expected, running larger planet packs, the stuttering starts earlier.  One of my planet packs just keeps grabbing more and more memory locking the computer for two or more minutes.

Does this mod grab a bunch more memory for KSP at the start?  Does it keep KSP from grabbing more and more system memory?  This would force Mail and Safari to swap to disk to avoid the stutter, right?  If so, what would be the appropriate setting 2GB or 4GB.?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 year later...

At the risk of waking a dead thread (got the warning), if one has 64G of ram, would it make sense to set "total" to 16384 as the apparent pattern seems to follow?  Or would it make more sense to cap it below that somewhere?  I imagine there is a time/space trade off within the heap algo itself

1 hour ago, darthgently said:

At the risk of waking a dead thread (got the warning), if one has 64G of ram, would it make sense to set "total" to 16384 as the apparent pattern seems to follow?  Or would it make more sense to cap it below that somewhere?  I imagine there is a time/space trade off within the heap algo itself

It adjusts dynamically.  Not really sure if it's needed if you have that much memory

18 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It adjusts dynamically.  Not really sure if it's needed if you have that much memory

Oh, I needed it.  I was getting horrible 5 to 10 second freezes every 30 secs or so that coincided with GC (going by Memgraph correlation).  I had installed HeapPadder but hadn't increased the "total" above 4k.  After adjusting to 16k the freezes went completely away.  I should add that the freezes pre-existed the HeapPadder install but didn't change noticeably after install with the "total" at 4k (or whatever the default is, I recall it was 4k)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
6 hours ago, 610yesnolovely said:

... and you fixed it in 20 other mods. Respect and also betcha glad you automated your build/release.

And a bunch more to go.  Really wish T2 hadn't broken the game this way so late in it's life, just a waste of time for me and other modders

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm running linux on a system with 32GB of ram.  The default 32g file didn't help much at all, so I set the heappadder defaults to a 1 in every row and a total of 16384.  Not sure if that's the right way to go about it, but it only helps a little; before doing this, I'd end up with a 1s pause every 5s.  With this padding I now have a 1s pause every 10-12s.  So it helps a touch but it's still bad enough that I find I'm not interested in starting the game...

Should I keep increasing the padding?  Is there a more optimal way to go about this?  Should I be running KSP in Proton, or boot to (*shudder*) Windows?

On 3/21/2023 at 12:56 PM, GDorn said:

I'm running linux on a system with 32GB of ram.  The default 32g file didn't help much at all, so I set the heappadder defaults to a 1 in every row and a total of 16384.  Not sure if that's the right way to go about it, but it only helps a little; before doing this, I'd end up with a 1s pause every 5s.  With this padding I now have a 1s pause every 10-12s.  So it helps a touch but it's still bad enough that I find I'm not interested in starting the game...

Should I keep increasing the padding?  Is there a more optimal way to go about this?  Should I be running KSP in Proton, or boot to (*shudder*) Windows?

How is the memory usage?  You can increase it, but seems that you got most of the improvement it can do.  Beyond that, Windows 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Is this still useful in 1.12 ?

I was being told that garbage collection had been improved in KSP, also that heap padder did apprently increased RAM usage, by allocating more RAM to KSP...

I'm running a laptop, with rtx3060 6gb vram, 32gb RAM, i7-12700H   2.70 GHz

So I'm wondering if I really need it... Like, the main symptom giving incentive to use this would be having freezes right ?
Generally speaking, would it increase performances ?

Thanks for your help :) 

peace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.