The Jool 6 Challenge!

UPDATE YOU CAN USE ANY VERSION YOU WOULD LIKE OF KSP!!!!!! JOOL MAY BE IMPOSSIBLE IN THE NEW VERSIONS

You have heard of Jool 5? Well it's great and all but you forgot the best space in the joolian system: JOOL!

Basic points

• Land on all 5 Jool moons and Jool (touch sea level), simple as that - 15000 points
  • Bonus:  direct ascent and return - 2000 points
  • Bonus:  SSTO - 15000 points*
  • Bonus:  plant a flag on Jool - 2000 points

* Tylo is the only acception with a separate module allowed

taking points

These conditions take points away from your final score, you rocket will have 5 basic scorings

• For every part is minus 10 points - more parts more technical issues
  • For every 100,000 :funds: is minus 100 points - congress wants less for best
  • For every 2 years this mission takes is minus 100 points - BORING if it takes 100 years, who wants to wait that long?
  • For every expendable part is minus 10 points - reusability is key**
  • For every 5000 m/s of fuel is minus 100 points

**Used parachutes, lost ablative material, or broken wheels or broken parts do not count as expendable 

Each of the following adds points based on difficulty (the Basic points are part of this catagory)

+100 points: Plant a flag on Bop, Plant a flag on Pol, Aerobrake at Jool

+200 points: Plant a flag on Vall, Get a surface feature scan from Bop***, Get a surface feature scan from Pol***, conduct a science experiment on a moon***

+400 points: Plant a flag on Laythe, Plant a flag on Tylo, Get a surface feature scan from Vall***, Get a surface feature scan on Laythe***, Get a surface feature scan from Tylo

+800 points: Get an EVA report from any moon***, visit an easter egg from Tylo or Bop***, bring deploy able science gear to a moon***

+1600 points: Get an EVA report from Jool, conduct a science experiment on Jool, Recirculate at Jool

+10000 points: Conduct an orbital survey on every moon and Jool, Establish a relay network on Jool***, Reuse all parts

+25000 points: Conduct ALL science experiments (includes all surface features) on every biome on every moon and Jool ***

***you can only scan the surface feature once, any science experiment qualifies for the 200 point conduct a science experiment, EVA reports only count once per biome, the tylo cave is worth 1600 points if a flag is planted on the top, the relay network must include 3 satellites in geostationary Jool orbit, includes levels of the atmosphere, science reports

Other rules of this challenge:

To be clear, sending a kerbal on this mission is not necessary to complete this challenge. In order for your submission to count you must land on all 6 moons, the higher the score the better, winners of this challenge will get private badges based on their skill. 

The winner badges

First place Badge: get with the highest score before the end of the year

Second place Badge: get the second highest score before the end of the year

Third place Badge: get the third highest score before the end of the year

SSTO badge: Complete this mission with an ssto (special badge if you have no separate modules for separate moons)

Regular badge: Complete this mission

This may be a challenge for people like @ShadowZone or @Stratzenblitz75 or @JacobJHC! But if you can prove me wrong then first credit me and get creative

regular badge under development

r5ydqfAfoKXzgSad7oRvscn_A7KFKXhJUS4pX8pVfuNFI9kcw6lDsFkfQuBIE1nYEEpNCf_Jghw50AQAznEEBL5q7bVCm0EKm4uRNF4wtnGSfa-Fpy_o2aq3TooMnZIHqqctBORVWoY

!!! Submit your results with images/videos of all milestones in the mission and statistics of the spacecraft !!!

Must submit HERE December/31/2019 11:59:59 PM MST

Edited by Guest

No badge yet but I should work on it

On 7/20/2019 at 1:41 AM, Dale Christopher said:

I only have one question @_@!

What badge do you get? ^_^ 

On 7/20/2019 at 10:40 PM, joshudson said:

I want to see a screen snapshot of you landed on Jool.

Ok just wait and remind me when I am done with the eve crew and moho missions then contact me again ;)

Spoiler

It is under development inspired by the Galileo mission.

I remember that in Project Intrepid Ultimate Steve designed a Jool lander using a stock prop. And from the adventures of Brikoleur in designing lightweight EAVs, it should be possible to have a velocity of 0 while at Joolian 'sea level'.

Just now, JERONIMO said:

As a sketch nice i guess...

It was a computer roughdraft as I was working on during the starhopper flight :(

4 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

It was a computer roughdraft as I was working on during the starhopper flight :(

Oh I didn't try to offend you, the opposite I like it :), can't wait for the final draft.

33 minutes ago, JERONIMO said:

Oh I didn't try to offend you, the opposite I like it :), can't wait for the final draft.

Oh no no no... I wasn't offended it was me sighing as the poor quality is wasted in thought

The challenge is open results on New Years 2020

On 7/20/2019 at 10:25 AM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

direct ascent and return - 2000 points

A few thoughts:

1. Having just submitted this for Jool 5 I humbly suggest this is a rather meagre bonus, particularly since the additional weight/cost demands will significantly count against the score.

2. Continuing the theme: the SSTO bonus also seems disproportionately high: particularly since it isn't required to actually complete the full mission.

3. May I also suggest a non ISRU bonus?

8 minutes ago, dnbattley said:

A few thoughts:

1. Having just submitted this for Jool 5 I humbly suggest this is a rather meagre bonus, particularly since the additional weight/cost demands will significantly count against the score.

2. Continuing the theme: the SSTO bonus also seems disproportionately high: particularly since it isn't required to actually complete the full mission.

3. May I also suggest a non ISRU bonus?

I haven't thought of that ISRU bonus... BAUT I will look into it... SSTOs are really hard especially landing on Tylo so that's why they are high up. I did the Jool 6 challenge as a fun idea since every one loves Jool 5 missions. It's also made to see if Landing on Jool with Breaking ground is possible

54 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

What do you mean by land on Jool?

Touch the sea level! Planting a flag also is by touching the sea level when doing so! 

6 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I haven't thought of that ISRU bonus... BAUT I will look into it... SSTOs are really hard especially landing on Tylo so that's why they are high up. I did the Jool 6 challenge as a fun idea since every one loves Jool 5 missions. It's also made to see if Landing on Jool with Breaking ground is possible

Touch the sea level! Planting a flag also is by touching the sea level when doing so! 

After looking at previous Jool 5 sstos, I am not going to do an NO ISRU bonus but thanks for the suggestion @dnbattley

On 7/26/2019 at 5:20 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I really wanna see your screenshot of this. Getting a craft to Jool sea level and back up is just barely possible. Actually planting a flag is something else entirely.

13 hours ago, joshudson said:

I really wanna see your screenshot of this. Getting a craft to Jool sea level and back up is just barely possible. Actually planting a flag is something else entirely.

It has been done by a fellow youtuber! you should go find it

On 7/28/2019 at 4:35 PM, joshudson said:

Since 1.0? Google suggests otherwise.

Well you don't know until you try besides, there is no required system use before 1.0 all I care.

3 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Well you don't know until you try besides, there is no required system use before 1.0 all I care.

It may be good practice to demonstrate the feasibility of your challenge with a test design/alt-f12'd creation descending to Jool and highlighting its base requirements.

1 hour ago, dnbattley said:

It may be good practice to demonstrate the feasibility of your challenge with a test design/alt-f12'd creation descending to Jool and highlighting its base requirements.

Yea but i'm too lazy :)

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2019 at 5:57 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

With further research planting a flag on Jool is impossible

I don't have the screen shots anymore and don't remember what version it was but I have planted a flag on Jool. To be clear, there has never been a surface to plant a flag on on but the lower atmosphere is thick enough to drop the terminal velocity of a kerbal low enough for it to be possible to just spam the plant flag button and have it work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.