Muun - a stock a like replica of the Moon

Simog

Rob & Simog Presents:

Muun

A stockalike replica of the Moon

On the fithyth anniversary of mankind’s greatest endeavour, we’ll be waiting for you on Muun to celebrate the small big step of Apollo 11 mission We loved creating it, you’ll like exploring it like never before... it will be wonderful!
Good speed, good play.

This replace Mun so if you have vessel on his surface, before install it, dismiss them and recover crew.

- Property:
Radius : 347.620 m
Semi Major Axis: 12.000.000 m
Eccentricity : 0,05490
Inclination : 5,15°
Custom Easter Eggs

- Dependencies & Installation:
Download and install these Mod following the respective instructions:
- Kopernicus
- Kerbal Konstruct
- Module Manager
- Community Terrain Texture Pack

Then download Muun and extract from the zip archive the Muun folder and copy it into GameData folder.

- Suggested Mods:
- Bluedog Design Boreau
- Astronomer's Visual Pack
- Tundra Exploration
- Real Plume
- Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

DOWNLOAD (spacedock)

- Special Thanks to @CobaltWolf for permission to use some models of his mod Bluedog Design Boreau.

Gallery:

screenshot149-stitch.jpg

screenshot140.png  screenshot146.png

screenshot26.png  screenshot9.png

screenshot20.png

Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Edited by Simog

Ohh this is awesome. I always wanted this. Couple questions.

First: I dont play rss. Whats the size comparison compared to the mun?? I assume its bigger??

Wiki states mun is 200k meters radius. Is this 347.62 meters radius? Or.. 347,620m radius? I wasnt sure if the 'period' was a typo or its really 347.62 meters radius. Thats pretty tiny and i always thought an rss mun equivalent would be bigger

Second: why the need of KK mod? Is that related to the easter eggs?

Third: the semi major axis is the same as the mun..so i assume thats why it replaces it. However the other orbit parameters are different, could we get an optional config making the semi major axis large enough that we could have both the mun and the muun in game? Seems like it could be an interesting leap frog scenario but i dont know much about soi and kopernicus in-s and out-s to see if it would cause problems or not in general.

Cheers, looks great!

Edited by Jesusthebird

43 minutes ago, Jesusthebird said:

First: I dont play rss. Whats the size comparison compared to the mun?? I assume its bigger??

Wiki states mun is 200k meters radius. Is this 347.62 meters radius? Or.. 347,620m radius? I wasnt sure if the 'period' was a typo or its really 347.62 meters radius. Thats pretty tiny and i always thought an rss mun equivalent would be bigger

it's a little bigger
than Mun. 347620m in practice the diameter of the moon scaled to the stock size.

Second: why the need of KK mod? Is that related to the easter eggs?

Exact. I chose to place them like this because I wasn't able to make them work, inserted directly with kopernicus.

Third: the semi major axis is the same as the mun..so i assume thats why it replaces it. Could we have an optional config making the semi major axis large enough that we could have both the mun and the muun in game? Seems like it could be an interesting leap frog scenario but i dont know much about soi and kopernicus in-s and out-s to see if it would cause problems or not in general.

Cheers, looks great!

The idea was to replicate all of the moon, therefore, orbit and dimensions in scale. Using the correct measurements ended up near minmus but there was a problem. If you wanted to use the free return trajectory it was impossible. Instead with the current settings it is obtained by passing at about 120km from the surface.

So I decided to replace Mun. Being that it is on an eccentric orbit, with a lower periapsis, sooner or later they would have ended in collision :-D
However tecnically it's possible to make them live together. Or move it to an intermediate orbit between Mun and Minmus or places it on  Mun orbit but on the opposite side.

Edited by Simog

6 hours ago, Simog said:

Exact. I chose to place them like this because I wasn't able to make them work, inserted directly with kopernicus.

KK doesn't work at all for me in 1.71, and doesn't seem to be receiving active support, no replies in weeks. I suggest you make those features an optional, separate download. 

47 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

and doesn't seem to be receiving active support, no replies in weeks.

Last @Ger_space reply on that thread is July 9. About 11 days, less than two weeks. You know, people have lives to live, bills to pay, sometimes we get sick, sometimes we need to travel. This doesn't means the the Add'On is unsupported.

Just now, Lisias said:

Last @Ger_space reply on that thread is July 9. About 11 days, less than two weeks. You know, people have lives to live, bills to pay, sometimes we get sick, sometimes we need to travel. This doesn't means the the Add'On is unsupported.

There was no judgment present or implied, I'm aware of that. If it is being actively supported, great.

1 hour ago, vossiewulf said:

KK doesn't work at all for me in 1.71, and doesn't seem to be receiving active support, no replies in weeks. I suggest you make those features an optional, separate download. 

KK works well for me in 1.7.1. However I ran into problems with a few of the KK base modules (specifically the hangars craft storage, launch points in water) and even got a few CTDs while working on those. And you have to turn off "Focus last launch site" in KK's difficulty setting.

Ger_space and other prominent KK pack makers should be aware of my findings by now so at some point I'm sure the problems will be addressed.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

KK works well for me in 1.7.1. However I ran into problems with a few of the KK base modules (specifically the hangars craft storage, launch points in water) and even got a few CTDs while working on those. And you have to turn off "Focus last launch site" in KK's difficulty setting.

Ger_space and other prominent KK pack makers should be aware of my findings by now so at some point I'm sure the problems will be addressed.

In my case it's looking for something called KSPUtil, not finding it, and completely crashing. I had to remove it, have been waiting hopefully for some feedback. It's posted there in the thread.

10 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Now this is a really good Anniversary Present , thank you .

Quick Question in your rather fantastic video it shows a moonbase , ok how did you do that ? the dual landing zones are amazing and i'd like to replicate that .  

Thanks :-D. they are in this pack. I placing them with the kerbal konstruct.

6 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

I didn't know about incompatibility. During my tests I found no difficulties with the KK. However if you don't install the KK, you simply won't have the easter eggs but the rest works. Unfortunately I was not able to insert them directly via kopernicus and I had to fall back :-D

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are there biomes, and if so, how many?

Yes, there are 17

12 hours ago, drtedastro said:

Wow...

Excellent!

Thanks very much for making this one, and perfect timing...

Cheers.

12 hours ago, theJesuit said:

This is fantastic and a beautiful cinematic.  Great job!

Peace.

6 hours ago, reese4221 said:

amazing mod i think this is one im always going to keep installed thank you very much!

1 minute ago, Simog said:

I didn't know about incompatibility. During my tests I found no difficulties with the KK. However if you don't install the KK, you simply won't have the easter eggs but the rest works. Unfortunately I was not able to insert them directly via kopernicus and I had to fall back :-D

Ah, great, thanks. If that's the case, it's worth asking the next question, will it work with JNSQ at 2.5x?

7 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

Ah, great, thanks. If that's the case, it's worth asking the next question, will it work with JNSQ at 2.5x?

it's a mod I didn't know. Looking at its files, probably not.

4 hours ago, vossiewulf said:

In my case it's looking for something called KSPUtil, not finding it, and completely crashing. I had to remove it, have been waiting hopefully for some feedback. It's posted there in the thread.

Check the version of KK, that is old and merged into the main KSP dll

VERY nice to see a simple, well-done, quality planet mod... especially as someone's first...
IMHO, coming right out of the gate as a beginner, and trying for massive planet/star packs all at once, seem to generally produce less than desirable quality mods...
and also, many times there are people who just want to add one or two little planets or moons, rather than *everything*...

But *this*?... *this* is well done... *this* might be added to my Must Have Mods List...
Also, I want to say... "EXCELLENT choice in mods to use in showcasing this mod... You couldnt have picked better, higher-quality mods for the aspects that each represents..."  - :rep::rep::rep::rep::rep:

Hope to see moar things from you... ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

On 7/21/2019 at 5:28 AM, Simog said:

it's a mod I didn't know. Looking at its files, probably not.

What someone would need to do is to make a Sigma Dimensions config file that scales 2.7x, but has planet specific settings for JNSQs stuff to keep it all at 1x, so that people can use other planet packs. In order for the Muun to work, a config would have to be written to scale it up and replace JNSQs Mun.

On 7/21/2019 at 2:42 PM, Stone Blue said:

VERY nice to see a simple, well-done, quality planet mod... especially as someone's first...
IMHO, coming right out of the gate as a beginner, and trying for massive planet/star packs all at once, seem to generally produce less than desirable quality mods...
and also, many times there are people who just want to add one or two little planets or moons, rather than *everything*...

But *this*?... *this* is well done... *this* might be added to my Must Have Mods List...
Also, I want to say... "EXCELLENT choice in mods to use in showcasing this mod... You couldnt have picked better, higher-quality mods for the aspects that each represents..."  - :rep::rep::rep::rep::rep:

Hope to see moar things from you... ;)

Many thanks. let's say I'm not new to modding (small jobs on other games) but I'm on KSP. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.